Ninebot One E+ tilting / low battery behaviour

Merowinger2k

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to this kind of vehicles, the ninebot is my first one and I just love it so far. Learned to ride it in 3 days and making improvements every day (turning still needs some practise).

But what I find somewhat bad is the low battery behaiviour so I just wanted to ask around if this is totally normal.

I had it twice until now and it caused me to jump off the unit twice... at around 40% battery and 10km (6.2 miles) remaining distance, it starts beeping and is tilting back so hard that I feel like I'm about to fall of on my back. 

I totally understand that there needs to be some safety behaviour, but 1) I think 40% is way too early and 2) the tilting is too hard, it would rather cause an injury on an unexperienced rider than a safe stop. Is there any way to modify this? I would love to hear warning beeps at 40% from time to time and tilting / slowing down at 25% or so, this would give me the chance to finish my ride safely before the tilting occurs.

Or are my values unusual? Will they improve with more total mileage / battery cycles?

Thanks in advance 

If this is a brand new unit with new battery, that doesn't sound very normal unless you weigh maybe 300 pounds?  I'm at 167 lbs, and I can get about 20 kms out of my wheel with some hill climbing and mostly flat pathways.  Charger could be faulty (cutting off too soon), or battery could be going bad.  I usually hit about less than 20% battery when the extreme tiltback occurs, and that is usually near the 18-19 km mark.  Just don't panic and ride through it.  Lean back a little, and it vanishes.  Just ride very slowly to avoid it from coming back to limp home.  I don't use the remaining distance meter as it's never accurate.  How many kilometres have you traveled when it starts tilting back?

That is unfortunately how it is designed. I don't have mine anymore, but I remember hearing the latest firmware raised the level to 40%.  Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.  To prevent the strong tilt back, you can ride slower.  If you stay under the tilt back speed, I believe it's 6 or 8 mph, then it won't tilt back until it gets closer to 10%.  They should not have caused that until 20% at least, but they are erring on the side of safety.

Did they raise the low battery tiltback to 40%?  That would be very surprising if they did that as it would cut the range down quite a bit I think?

I'm still on 1.2.5 that came with my wheel, but come to think of it I think the meter does say like 10 km remaining or something like that even though low battery tiltback kicks in.  The LED lights are blinking red on the side of the wheel usually.  So maybe the OP's wheel is normal as he might be riding 20 kms, hitting low battery tiltback, but it still shows 10 kms range remaining?  Maybe the meter is accurate if you don't mind riding at a snail's pace?  Usually I'm near home so I limp back about 500 m to recharge.  I never look at the Ninebot App distance remaining meter.  I usually have Gyrometrics running.

Maybe log your run using Gyrometrics as it will show the battery level over the course of your run.  After a 17 km roll, I'm at about the 20% battery mark.

Thank you for all your information so far.

I'm on the current firmware. I don't have the unit near me currently but I believe that was 1.4.0.

I'm not exactly sure how much km the unit did until the tiltback started since I only charged the battery twice so far. After the second time I noted remaining an total mileage plus battery level so I have exact knowledge next time. But I think it's close to 20km.

I will have a look on that Gyrometrics app, sounds like interesting measurements.

On 6/16/2017 at 5:52 PM, Merowinger2k said:

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to this kind of vehicles, the ninebot is my first one and I just love it so far. Learned to ride it in 3 days and making improvements every day (turning still needs some practise).

But what I find somewhat bad is the low battery behaiviour so I just wanted to ask around if this is totally normal.

I had it twice until now and it caused me to jump off the unit twice... at around 40% battery and 10km (6.2 miles) remaining distance, it starts beeping and is tilting back so hard that I feel like I'm about to fall of on my back. 

I totally understand that there needs to be some safety behaviour, but 1) I think 40% is way too early and 2) the tilting is too hard, it would rather cause an injury on an unexperienced rider than a safe stop. Is there any way to modify this? I would love to hear warning beeps at 40% from time to time and tilting / slowing down at 25% or so, this would give me the chance to finish my ride safely before the tilting occurs.

Or are my values unusual? Will they improve with more total mileage / battery cycles?

Thanks in advance 

I have been using 1.4.0 since it was released about a year ago.

Speed-tiltback for me begins between 23.5 and 24kph with battery level >40% , and becomes steep over 25kph forcing me to slow down. 

Battery-tiltback (aka limpmode) begins at 20% battery. I do get speed-tiltback at 20kph when the battery level drops below 40%, but it does not change (get worse) until limpmode kicks in.

Speed gauge in the ninebot app shows anything over 20kph as red/overspeed, but tiltback behaviour does not vary except as noted above.

Could this be just lack of familiarity/ misperception? Give it a month and see if you still see the same symptoms. For example, my NB1E+ made a scary grinding noise on a few random occasions in the first 3-4 months, but hasn't recurred since the machine was 'broken-in'. I should really upload that video someday ....

With the speed tiltback, I have no problems so far. Yes, it occurs regularly but it's not a bad thing since I adjust speed once it starts beeping.

Regarding the battery tiltback, the last battery run was normal given the values posted in this thread. I made almost exactly 20km and tiltback started at 20%. If that stays like that, it's okay I think. And if you really focus on slowing down and not trying to accelerate again, the unit is still driveable at slow speed without tilting back so hard, I wasn't aware of that. Maybe that's a good way of draining the battery completely...I think it could be good for the battery to (almost) fully discharge it every 20 cycles or so?

Only strange thing is that before shutting off it was 20% battery and after turning on one hour later it said 27%...seems not to be very accurate. 

Gyrometrics by the way does some really nice graphs but is too buggy. I can use it exactly one time, after that I have to deinstall and reinstall it or it will force close on every start (reproducable). Are there any alternatives out there to log the data from the unit while riding?

15 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Darknessbot is my favorite. It's on iPhone, not sure about android. 

it is IOS only! I love it too, and it is/was announced the squares can then be optional put in a size you prefer!

that then would be the hammer :-)

25 minutes ago, Merowinger2k said:

buggy. I can use it exactly one time, after that I have to deinstall and reinstall it or it will force close on every start (reproducable). Are there any alternatives out there to log the data from the unit while riding?

i domt understand....what do you mean by "force close"? for me its the perfect app!!!

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

i domt understand....what do you mean by "force close"? for me its the perfect app!!!

I can start the app, connect, drive, then view the data and export it, no problem. But the second time I open the app I just see the splash screen for a second then it closes. I am only able to open the app again by re-installing it and then I can use it exactly one time again. 

Whatever, Darknessbot looks a lot better on first view. Will test that one out, too.

14 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

it is IOS only! I love it too, and it is/was announced the squares can then be optional put in a size you prefer!

that then would be the hammer :-)

They just updated it with better Apple Watch support, and now Siri Support.

You can ask "How much charge is left in my Wheel" and it will give you mileage and percent left. 

Mileage now gets smarter over time the more you use it, so it should be quite accurate after a while. 

4 minutes ago, Merowinger2k said:

I can start the app, connect, drive, then view the data and export it, no problem. But the second time I open the app I just see the splash screen for a second then it closes. I am only able to open the app again by re-installing it and then I can use it exactly one time again. 

Whatever, Darknessbot looks a lot better on first view. Will test that one out, too.

Cant you just close the app- task completely and than start the app again....instead of re-installing?

sounds crazy, but i believe you!!!

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Cant you just close the app- task completely and than start the app again....instead of re-installing?

I'm not very much into iOs...what I did is open the task list and then swiping the app out of the list...that did not do it. 

Just did my first test run with darknessBot. Does it's job so far, but I seem only to be able to access the graphs when the ninebot is connected. that's uncomfortable...or did I just not find the way to do it yet? I seem only to be able to connect or to use demo mode.

Maybe @Paco Gorina can comment on what the problem is with Gyrometrics on android.  I'm using it on iPhone, and it works well for me usually.  He fixed the problem with it not recording longer rides.  I do find that the Ninebot shuts down the Bluetooth connection when the battery gets low so the app cannot reconnect to it.   One other bug is that you can't seem to save a ride log if the wheel is shut off or disconnects.  I have to turn the wheel back on, press stop in the app, and then it will save.  On low battery the BT just won't turn on so that's a problem.

A hidden feature is that if you have locations services turned on for the app, you can long press the speed gauge / map, and it will load a road map with your route on it.

Regarding draining the battery completely, it's likely not adviseable as these batteries do not like to be drained very low.  If you visit Batteryuniversity, I think they even recommend charging up at 30-40 or something before the charge gets too low for the longest battery lifespan.  I think going down to 25% is fine as that allows you to use more capacity of the battery.  Charging up only to 85%, and only topping up to 100% right before a ride might be optimal, but I usually don't bother.  I charge to 100% each time.  Maybe before storage 85% would be better.  I just want maximum range.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

2 hours ago, Merowinger2k said:

I seem only to be able to access the graphs when the ninebot is connected. that's uncomfortable...or did I just not find the way to do it yet? I seem only to be able to connect or to use demo mode.

I don't use graphs much myself, but that seems to be the way it is. The author updates it pretty regular, I wonder if we can send in suggestions. 

Archived