Can the valve cap be left off?

Tech Nossomy

2 hours ago, Tech Nossomy said:

I recently had my tire inflated at a cycle store and the guy said I could leave the cap off the valve. Wouldn't that just clog up the valve with dirt rendering it unusable? Does anyone have experience with this?

High pressure cycle type valves (the thin sort where you screw the top down to keep the valve tightly closed) will not get dirt in, and I suspect that is where his advice comes from.

The car type valves, which I think most of our EUC's are fitted with, are deeply recessed and dirt will very easily collect in them, which will then get into the valve next time you inflate the tyre. The small wheel and semi enclosed nature of EUC tyres will make that dirt collection worst, even on clean city streets (which I wouldn't think included London ?)

I think it is pretty bad advice but, As a presumably UK, cycle dealer he will have zero experience of EUC's. Of course it would be churlish to even think that ruined tyre valves would increase his business ?.

I can attest first hand to the foolishness of leaving the valve cap off with my bicycles and motorcycles.

Don't do it. You need them on.

On 2017-6-16 at 9:49 AM, Keith said:

The car type valves, which I think most of our EUC's are fitted with, are deeply recessed and dirt will very easily collect in them, which will then get into the valve next time you inflate the tyre.

Do you have personal experience with a valve actually failing due to dirt?

I have been riding motor bikes thousands of km through mud and through deserts, but I cannot remember to have assigned any importance to the valve cap. I also cannot remember any of my companions caring to have a cap on their valve. As always, it could be just my memory that doesn't serve well B)

EDIT: as there seems, on the other hand, to be no good reason to dump the cap, I do have a cap most of the time.

20 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I can attest first hand to the foolishness of leaving the valve cap off with my bicycles and motorcycles.

So what happened?

3 hours ago, Mono said:

So what happened?

I've only had a problem once, where the valve would not close completely and slowly leaked. I kinda knew something was wrong because of how hard it was to pump the tire.

Hi, On my NB E+ the valve is quite difficult to get to - I have to use an extension adaptor to reach the valve.

As I regularly check my tire pressure (and adjust the pressure depending on the type of riding I am doing (and for different tricks) I leave the cap off. I haven't had a problem so far - in total I have racked up about 4000 Km.

If the valve was more easily accessible then I would always keep the cap on.

Archived