Extensive look at the IPS I5 (Chinese language vid)

RichieV

Seems to be a shop in Taiwan, neat. People seem nice.

I love how the shell is not mirrored, but also flipped, so you only have one shell part that fits both sides. Power button on the one hole, charge port on the diagonal hole, cool. It's just quite neatly constructed.

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I love how the shell is not mirrored, but also flipped, so you only have one shell part that fits both sides. Power button on the one hole, charge port on the diagonal hole, cool. It's just quite neatly constructed.

Are the Gotways and Kingsongs designed differently? At least the IPS Lhotz and Zero are made this way, and it saves the manufacturer a lot of costs, so I would guess they are all made this way?

The first part was unboxing he thought the cardboard box was not very nice and the egg shell within the box was so old fashioned.

Second part was looking talking about how thing the Wheel is. Trying to work out how to turn the light on. How you have to unscrew a cap before you can pump the tyres saying how this part of yhe design needs improvement.

Next part was testing how it rode and the last part was looking at the 2 different models and how to tell them apart. 

I think that's about it before I dosed off.

15 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Depends. I think the ACM and Monster shells are. The msuper V3 not, I believe, looking at the wheel. I'd guess with the intricate KS shells (lots of small plastic parts on the inside, unlikely they are.

I opened up the B last night, and the shells seemed symmetrical (just the speakers are glued to opposite sides), but I didn't really look at them. Here's some old teardown pics:

On 16/6/2017 at 7:40 PM, Slaughthammer said:

Are the Gotways and Kingsongs designed differently? At least the IPS Lhotz and Zero are made this way, and it saves the manufacturer a lot of costs, so I would guess they are all made this way?

Well, the i5 has the upper part symmetrical but the lower part (like a wave) is not if I remember correctly. It can actually stand vertically on the chassis without a stand. But since it's a different material, I guess that it can be chipped off after in production.

The main difference of the I5 is , that the pedals are not on pedalarms, which are mounted to the axle.

The pedals are mounted on the magnesium shell and thats it. Thats kind of new to EUC's....as far as i know.

but in the end this "laptop sized" thingie is a special...not much speed (20kmh)...not much batterie....guess about 200wh or less....so very less range....

so for a very limited fan base, i guess.

...and i can not get out of my mind that that "might" be a co-op with Kingsong....as there where vids with their test ramp, their main euc tester and so on.....so perhaps KS is the real producer behind that....and if so, at least their shouldbe nice quality ;-)

I would not underestimate the i5. Look at the pictures of it in a backpack, look at how thin it is (can only be seen really well when viewing a rider right from the front/back), look at the speedyfeet review video, he got 10 miles (heavier guy) from such a tiny wheel with batteries the size of a few boxes of cigarettes. The shell seems very sturdy and rigid too. Very impressive power in such a small wheel. Surely it's not for the range and offroad enthusiasts, but for commuters and students it's great. Beats even the smaller wheels with a trolley handle (like 14D) in terms of straightforward portability.

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

...not much batterie....guess about 200wh or less....

Well, we have quite accurate information on that part. Two battery configutrations available: 16s1p with 18650 2900 mAh Panasonic cells delivering 170 Wh and 16s1p with the new panasonic 20700 cells with 4250 mAh making the pack 244.8Wh.

8 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

...and i can not get out of my mind that that "might" be a co-op with Kingsong....as there where vids with their test ramp, their main euc tester and so on......so if so, at least their shoulf be nice quality ;-)

Well, actually our Kingsong spokesperson demented on that, stating it was just a reseller testing the wheel in their facillities...

I have no personal interest in the I5, but still think that this kind of wheel could become very popular among people who want one for last mile commutes and such, if the price isn't too high. Small, portable, light-weight (well, in comparison to most wheels). Of course, as with any wheel, there's always the learning barrier, which probably scares away most people, but it does have potential.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:19 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I love how the shell is not mirrored

On 6/16/2017 at 1:19 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Power button on the one hole, charge port on the diagonal hole, cool. It's just quite neatly constructed.

My shells are not mirrored and I have lots of holes! Will my ACM be "cool" too when it's done? :confused1::clap3:

50 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

smaller wheels with a trolley handle (like 14D) in terms of straightforward portability.

You really think so? I guess its a league of its own, with its impressive low weight and so....

But replacing a trolley? i dont know?.....

49 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

Well, actually our Kingsong spokesperson demented on that, stating it was just a reseller testing the wheel in their facillities...

Sure....how woulf that look for IPS? But the thinking that IPS normally is on a really different location in china...and so long out of he game producing something new....i still suspect it to be a OEM work done by KS.....but thats just me ;-)

49 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

Well, we have quite accurate information on that part. Two battery configutrations available: 16s1p with 18650 2900 mAh Panasonic cells delivering 170 Wh and 16s1p with the new panasonic 20700 cells with 4250 mAh making the pack 244.8Wh.

Ok, that makes that it  a quit good config..with 244wh! and it will thebe the first to use 20700 cells, i guess!

Great move!

33 minutes ago, esaj said:

s and such, if the price isn't too high. Small, portable, light-weight (well, in comparison to most wheels). Of course, as with any wheel, there's always the learning barrier, which probably scares away most people, but it does have potential.

Well, thats the point.....people which are "scared" by the learning or by the difficult of "legality " in their country......will not make a step and go to EUCing because of that wheel. ..

It has potential!!! Thats no question!! But is that wheel, the "hammer", that brings EUC to mass market? i have my doubts ;-)

20 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Sure....how woulf that look for IPS? But the thinking that IPS normally is on a really different location in china...and so long out of he game producing something new....i still suspect it to be a OEM work done by KS.....but thats just me ;-)

I greatly doubt that KS actually has the know how and technology to build something like the i5. If they had, they'd already done it under their own name, just to avoid the cracking axle problem...

24 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

You really think so? I guess its a league of its own, with its impressive low weight and so....

But replacing a trolley? i dont know?.....

Not replacing the trolley handle, improving the portability.

E.g. in a crowded subway or on a full train, even a trolleyed 14D would be more complicated to deal with than simply picking up the i5 like a briefcase.

26 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

It has potential!!! Thats no question!! But is that wheel, the "hammer", that brings EUC to mass market? i have my doubts ;-)

Yea it won't do that. Maybe it will not even sell well, since enthusiasts (peple who post here) might as well go for a slightly bigger (battery) and faster wheel. But it has a definitive niche it is great for. Looking forward to the 16 inch of the same bracketless design.

Mass market wheel is limited by the battery prices, you just can't have 30+ km range and 25+ km/h speeds at 500$ yet.

I like the whole idea of a lightweight, small format wheel,  but I just wished it was nicer looking from the start.  I guess it does fit in with the whole Industrial Product Section approach,  but I don't know - couldn't they make it more visually appealing?  The Fiat 500 sells okay,  but you see Mini Coopers way more often.

I've known women who buy cameras and purses based on colour and looks alone.   If IPS is wanting to expand their market, why not make a slick looking wheel that compensates for its lesser abilities by appearing awesome?  Add a thin, stylish pad on both sides for user comfort, and be done with it.

Take the iPhone for example.  It's a tightly controlled OS (without jailbreaking) with good performance.  It looks sleek and ask anyone what they think of Rose Gold or Champagne colour, and they flip head over heals for it even though they then cover it up with a phone case.   People want nice looking products.  Maybe they will make a nice silicon slip on cover with built in padding for the i5?

The i5 is clean looking and sleek - I'll give it that.  Plus it is amazing for such a small wheel.  I just wished it didn't look so much like a black gas canister.  It does grow on you though I guess kinda like the ACM.  I thought the ACM looked like a PC case,  but it compensates for it from its performance abilities.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I like the whole idea of a lightweight, small format wheel,  but I just wished it was nicer looking from the start.  I guess it does fit in with the whole Industrial Product Section approach,  but I don't know - couldn't they make it more visually appealing?  The Fiat 500 sells okay,  but you see Mini Coopers way more often.

Could not agree more. 

Take the iPhone for example.  It's a tightly controlled OS (without jailbreaking) with good performance.  It looks sleek and ask anyone what they think of Rose Gold or Champagne colour, and they flip head over heals for it even though they then cover it up with a phone case.   People want nice looking products.  Maybe they will make a nice silicon slip on cover with built in padding for the i5?

My first impression was that the I5 was an attempt to mimic the iPhone aesthetic. To me, the Apple-Ive design approach has gone too far, and the last thing I want is an EUC that reminds me of this. 

The i5 is clean looking and sleek - I'll give it that.  Plus it is amazing for such a small wheel.  I just wished it didn't look so much like a black gas canister.  It does grow on you though I guess kinda like the ACM.  I thought the ACM looked like a PC case,  but it compensates for it from its performance abilities.

Spot on. If only EUCs came in beige. :efef2e0fff:  Unfortunately, I can't get past the ACM design, despite its performance. I think the blue and red shell colours on the MSuper V3 are appealing, but it still looks like a PLA-designed truck. Maybe Gotway will hire @SuperSport or sponsor a design contest?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.  I remember when I was a kid, I bought this really nice, slim Sony Walkman.  It just had a cassette player to play my mix tapes on the bus (no radio), but it was super slim - not much larger than the cassette itself.  It had a stick of gum flat rectangular battery which I thought was cool.  It was all metal, and esthetically they just nailed it.  I couldn't find a photo,  but it was sort of like this except nicer.  The flat drive motors were amazing.  Mine was champange coloured.

de010858-ebc1-4997-a73e-824a09582ad0-620

It's an amazing feat to have eliminated the bulky pedal support with direct to shell mounting.  Hopefully V2 and future designs will up the style factor up a notch.

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Mine was champange coloured.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Champagne colour,

What is the color of champagne?  Isn't it clear?:huh:  

I had a Sony walkman once, really liked it, seemed good quality.  Don't remember the color, though.

18 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.  I remember when I was a kid, I bought this really nice, slim Sony Walkman.  It just had a cassette player to play my mix tapes on the bus (no radio), but it was super slim - not much larger than the cassette itself.  It had a stick of gum flat rectangular battery which I thought was cool.  It was all metal, and esthetically they just nailed it.  I couldn't find a photo,  but it was sort of like this except nicer.  The flat drive motors were amazing.  Mine was champange coloured.

de010858-ebc1-4997-a73e-824a09582ad0-620

It's an amazing feat to have eliminated the bulky pedal support with direct to shell mounting.  Hopefully V2 and future designs will up the style factor up a notch.

This brings back memories I had a similar one when I was young having one meant I was the coolest kid at school :), wish I still had it.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

This brings back memories I had a similar one when I was young having one meant I was the coolest kid at school :), wish I still had it.

Nowadays, having one of these makes you the coolest kid in the retirement village! 

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Nowadays, having one of these makes you the coolest kid in the retirement village! 

Not quite I had the sony wm701 I think which was a birthday present back in 1990, it was slim and beautiful man how times have changed. 

Amazed at how good the old folks in this video are.  They are so much better than I am on my ninebot.  I've still yet to learn to go backwards.  Gives me hope that I can be as good someday and learn some tricks too.  LOL

I do see this as still being a niche since it is so hard to learn.  It isn't like the hoverboard where you can just hop on and learn it in a minute.

Archived