Electric unicycle as a paragliding aid (activate subtitles in english language)

Frid

That was great!

I didn't know you could do something like paragliding with what looks like something you can just carry around in a backpack?  So you can just hike somewhere and jump off? I had thought the equipment to do that must be incredibly heavy and take up huge amounts of space.

28 minutes ago, RichieV said:

Now you have me interested in paragliding

I wish you luck, I took early retirement last year after being made redundant, realised I will never again have enough money to renew my pilot's licence, and decided to learn to Paraglide, providing I've still go the physical strength to do it. It had occurred to me that my EUC would make a great tool to get back if I landed out.

Unfortunately, having contacted every paragliding club within 60 miles of me that I could find so as to enroll on their 1-day taster course to ensure I had the stamina still, most never even replied to me or said they would contact me when one became available and never did. The only one that did, after  6 months of promising me a date, told me they decided to stop doing them. It would appear that in the South of England it is pretty near impossible to learn to paraglide. It took me less time to get a pilot's licence than it has to even get book a flight in one. So glad that there must be so many paragliders in the South that the clubs don't need to give a toss about new students!

14 minutes ago, Keith said:

I wish you luck, I took early retirement last year after being made redundant, realised I will never again have enough money to renew my pilot's licence, and decided to learn to Paraglide, providing I've still go the physical strength to do it. It had occurred to me that my EUC would make a great tool to get back if I landed out.

Unfortunately, having contacted every paragliding club within 60 miles of me that I could find so as to enroll on their 1-day taster course to ensure I had the stamina still, most never even replied to me or said they would contact me when one became available and never did. The only one that did, after  6 months of promising me a date, told me they decided to stop doing them. It would appear that in the South of England it is pretty near impossible to learn to paraglide. It took me less time to get a pilot's licence than it has to even get book a flight in one. So glad that there must be so many paragliders in the South that the clubs don't need to give a toss about new students!

Wow, sorry you had such a bad experience with booking a lesson.  Hopefully, when I'm ready to take the step, I won't run into the same problems here in the Washington, DC area.  Have you considered trying your luck by chatting people up in the paragliding forum that @Frid mentioned above?  If that forum is as helpful as this one is, you should be up and gliding in no time, I would think.

@Frid Awesome!

Does the weight of the wheel make a difference? Do you either have to use a bigger paraglider for the higher weight, or use your normal one but you will descend faster and have noticably less range?

@Keith Maybe the problem is, there aren't too many usable hills in the South of England?

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Frid Awesome!

Does the weight of the wheel make a difference? Do you either have to use a bigger paraglider for the higher weight, or use your normal one but you will descend faster and have noticably less range?

Yes the weight make a difference, every wing has a weight range (eg.  70-90 kg) and it's better stay within.

While I've never fully incorporated EUC into flying, I use a KS 14C to transport my paramotoring gear (paragliding with a 2-stroke backpack propeller) to launch locations when not directly accessible by car. Both sports are similar in many ways and provide a radical sense of exposed freedom.

Here is a video I shot on a glassy still day that captures the awesome adventure I experience in both paramotoring and EUC:

15 hours ago, Stuart Leitch said:

While I've never fully incorporated EUC into flying, I use a KS 14C to transport my paramotoring gear (paragliding with a 2-stroke backpack propeller) to launch locations when not directly accessible by car. Both sports are similar in many ways and provide a radical sense of exposed freedom.

Here is a video I shot on a glassy still day that captures the awesome adventure I experience in both paramotoring and EUC:

Also very cool.  Sports like these are absolutely amazing.  Even though things like hang gliding have been around for at least 40 years that I know of, any flight without a true vehicle with a solid body wrapped around you still strikes me as very exotic and somehow both extremely visceral and ethereal at the same time.

Archived