IPS i5 First Look! Ask away!

Trey Lewis

I finally have an i5 in my hands! I wanted to make a post to document the process as I test it as well as to try and answer any questions the community has. If there is a certain test or questions please ask and I will try to get everything answered.

Currently waiting for the battery to charge before I start recording and testing. Super excited.

First impression is that it is unbelievably thin. The width is almost identical to a standard glass bottle. IBC Root beer tested. It also is definitely light, I haven't weighed it yet but the shipping weight was 22 pounds as a whole so it seems to be on par with IPS claims.

YIAC0031.thumb.JPG.406792f0b1f6bfd68b8d493f13915235.JPG

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything included. Charging port is very small and seems to be unique to the i5. The power button and charger are on the handle. Initial power up feels like the power button is placed very ergonomically. It really is hard to get beyond the narrow nature of this wheel.

YIAC0039.JPG

Can you snap a pic next to a common object to get a sense of scale; perhaps a banana or a Chihuahua or even a Star Wars action figure of Luke Skywalker from Return of the Jedi?

@Trey Lewis Please address the power over bumps & cracks, as this is the same 350W nominal as the similar weight 10" Gotway Luffy.

I'm wondering if the i5 experiences any overpower beeps, as the Luffy does (guessing no, on account of the bigger 14" wheel). Thanks!

37 minutes ago, RichieV said:

Can you snap a pic next to a common object to get a sense of scale; perhaps a banana or a Chihuahua or even a Star Wars action figure of Luke Skywalker from Return of the Jedi?

As soon as it came in I went looking for a banana. Dreadnought Martin and a Fire extinguisher.

YIAC0034.JPG

33 minutes ago, Mono said:

The invariable question: what is the pedal size and ground clearance? What's the tyre dimensions?

I haven't measured the height but due to the upward leaning pedal the clearance looks solid. The tyre is very narrow and small, 14 by 1.50.

It comes with an extender for the valve. Has a screw and cap system to hold the valve away from the shell due to the narrow space. It makes air on the go more of a hassle due to needing a screwdriver but is otherwise kind of neat.

19212738_1751420245158415_1570108213_o.jpg

19243825_1751420615158378_1274426053_o.jpg

Cool! The initial thread made this wheel look like vaporware/CAD-stage but it's real and available.

No questions  for now, just give us a lot of photos please... of everything:) (maybe starting with a frontal look including a measure to see the width?)

48 minutes ago, RichieV said:

Family size Cheez-it and a glass bottle.

19179433_1751431428490630_1278733615_o.jpg

19197881_1751431455157294_2085878164_o.jpg

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Cool! The initial thread made this wheel look like vaporware/CAD-stage but it's real and available.

No questions  for now, just give us a lot of photos please... of everything:) (maybe starting with a frontal look including a measure to see the width?)

Charging port with the screw off cap. Logo. Power button.

19213077_1751433911823715_373372595_o.jpg

19204760_1751434041823702_664766663_o.jpg

19239391_1751434091823697_57593100_n.jpg

55 minutes ago, Mono said:

The invariable question: what is the pedal size and ground clearance? What's the tyre dimensions?

Sarah rode around the block and said the pedals felt really nice, large compared to the wheel but in a good way. I am about to test it myself.

19197662_1751433818490391_451032993_o.jpg

19142277_1751433835157056_1783752690_n.jpg

19213077_1751433911823715_373372595_o.jpg

1 hour ago, kour said:

do you have a backpack it will fit in?

It fits! Zips all the way. It feels incredibly light in a backpack since the weight is distributed evenly. I honestly recall my textbooks in college being harder on my shoulders than this wheel. The bag thing is a massive plus for people in college or on subways that may not allow it otherwise.

19204713_1751436501823456_1633294396_o.jpg

19181797_1751436505156789_1033781596_o.jpg

19184239_1751436618490111_527554987_n.jpg

Have you actually ridden it yet? With it being so narrow, I wonder if you find yourself not immediately getting your balance. I experienced this when I tried to ride the "Ring" EUC which the width of it was basically the width of the tire.

13 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Have you actually ridden it yet? With it being so narrow, I wonder if you find yourself not immediately getting your balance. I experienced this when I tried to ride the "Ring" EUC which the width of it was basically the width of the tire.

I haven't because I wanted to let someone else have the honor of the first i5 ride in the US. I will post her video shortly. Waiting on the upload. She makes some light commentary on how hard the narrowness is, but for being her first attempt at it she does really well. I don't press my legs against my wheel when I ride so I imagine it will be a different story. I will ride it in a moment, was just getting some early photos.

Edit: Tried it out for the first time. It was really easy for my to take off and ride as well as ride with on leg. The difficulty came in knowing where to place my feet. Initially I tried against the wheel like I normally would but because of the width my legs were not shoulder length apart but pointing in towards the wheel. I moved my feet closer to the edge of the pedals and they felt roomy enough to accommodate it and I imagine this is the better way to ride as my legs were a comfortable and normal distance apart.

My legs only made contact on turns, and turning is the tightest I have ever felt due to the tiny wheel. It feels like you can pivot almost without taking up any space. The pedal clearance is much better than old IPS models and I never made contact with the ground which I commonly do on previous IPS wheels or other 14 inch wheels such as the MCM4.

At 6'6 I am much heavier than most and weight 235 at the moment despite being pretty slender. This is important because the wheel still felt like it had ample torque and acceleration and I do believe it is geared towards that. IPS had told me the torque would be better than the Lhotz at very low speeds and initial impressions seem to follow that tone. I never felt like I was pushing it too far but I am leaving the top speed and some of the stress test up to a few other individuals and I will try to record that. With that being said I might as well ride it around the next week and call it a stress test in case you pack a few other items with you.

12 minutes ago, Trey Lewis said:

Next to the ACM+, my current daily.

Wow! What a comparison! "The IPS i5's body is a few mm wider than the ACM's tire" is a telling description. Now you can forgive the small battery and low W motor!

Assuming you're going to sell the i5 (btw you will sell KS too? Sounded like it...) such a comparison photo (just with a better camera:)) might be really useful for your customers to realize the differences between wheels and how light this one is.

18 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Assuming you're going to sell the i5 (btw you will sell KS too? Sounded like it...) such a comparison photo (just with a better camera:)) might be really useful for your customers to realize the differences between wheels and how light this one is.

I actually don't expect to sell KS, maybe one day a long time from. With that being said I have a lot of respect for KS and recommend them to a lot of people who I think would like them over Gotway. Same for InMotion. I know I own a store, but at the end of the day what may be best for someone I may not have, but usually Jason does, I have also worked with Joey from All Day on some stuff and plan to continue. I am into this to share my hobby and I believe success for my storefront is less about monetary gain than it is trying to create something awesome. If it is a financial success than that is awesome! I can create and do more cool stuff with the store and brand as a whole and see out my grand vision. As it is I work full time and take on side projects to support this crazy endeavor. I don't want the brand to be my livelihood but rather a creative outlet, I think that creates a better experience for everyone. Plus my store crew are some really cool people and I appreciate them for making this a possibility.

As soon as I find my actual camera I will post much more detailed content on our Facebook and website. This forum is pretty relaxed in general and I really wanted to share my excitement day one.

I'm getting the impression KS are a bit picky with who they sell to, while GW sells to everyone. Do you not want to sell KS right now, or would it actually be a little hard to do that?

Anyways, all the best with your store! Not sure if I would have your courage if it's so risky:clap3: Also, it seems you either go full out distributor with good reputation, or fizzle out or it's difficult, sometimes this is what the dealer landscape looks to me. Just saying...:)

Camera comment was just that I noticed the image quality, no real criticism:) "If you were a doctor and see someone in public with a dangerous health problem they may or may not know about, would you say something?" or "If you had a cancer sniffing dog and they would mark someone on the train, would you say something?", I'm clearly on the say something side of these ethical dilemmas.

Keep the pics coming (if you want, instead of, you know, testing the wheel;))

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm getting the impression KS are a bit picky with who they sell to, while GW sells to everyone. Do you not want to sell KS right now, or would it actually be a little hard to do that?

Anyways, all the best with your store! Not sure if I would have your courage if it's so risky. Also, it seems you either go full out distributor with good reputation, or fizzle out, sometimes this is what the dealer landscape looks to me. Just saying...:)

Camera comment was just that I noticed the image quality, no real criticism:) "If you were a doctor and see someone in public with a dangerous health problem they may or may not know about, would you say something?" or "If you had a cancer sniffing dog and they would mark someone on the train, would you say something?", I'm clearly on the say something side of these ethical dilemmas.

The difficulty is the same. I have worked with KS and we actually had all of our initial plans and orders arranged with KS to be a dealer for them, but Gotway had more recent new models that would sway our final decision. Also this project started 2016 and there weren't Gotway dealers at the time in the US, not the case now though. I think next-gen KS, whenever that may be could very well alter our decision on whether we want the brand in store or not. KS was always pleasant to work with and if the demand is there I definitely would enjoy it.

Our reputation is being developed locally at the moment and we hope that being a favorite and offering great service locally will translate to our credibility and reputation online. A few of our purchases have been from the forum and I imagine we can develop a good reputation with the community both local and online. 

i5 first video is processing, so close!

First time out on the new wheel. She also hasn't rode a wheel in some time so you might give her a break. We have been riding around town since this and she has grown really fond of it. I will get a few more local riders opinions when I get the chance.

Have you ever felt insecure about the size of your wheel? Because I felt this for the first time riding my ACM next to someone on the i5. I am just waiting for some sort of over compensation joke from one of the skate park kids. I can tell it is going to happen.

Someone also asked me "Why would you ride that giant one if you can get around on the small one?". The ACM isn't even that big!

Archived