IPS ZERO

John Eucist

This is really looking nice and I like the specs. I am still not sure if the ninebot fits my needs as it is heavy and big. I am fine with my 14", 9,2kg wheel (but I need a more powerful one). This IPS Zero could get very popular...

Manu
Edited by Fahrtwind
  • Upvote 1

Looks great! Light weight, big pedals, and 800W -- not too bad B)  I hope they didn't just make it pretty on the outside but actually put in good batteries with a custom BMS that will not cut-off at higher speeds. Does it say something about tilt-back or safety?

Also, I rather like the 'rough' padding to keep my EUC stable between my legs and I hope the smooth surface of the zero doesn't lead to unstable rides?? This might be just fine though and something to get used to.

There is also little clearance between the road and the shell; I don't think it can 30+ degree inclines... Even with the Solowheel classic riders complained that in the Seattle hills sometimes the back of the shell hit the pavement when going down slow on a hill..

Edited by Daan

I hope they didn't just make it pretty on the outside but actually put in good batteries with a custom BMS that will not cut-off at higher speeds.

Don't know if it's the case with Zero, but at least I recall @Jason McNeil once saying that in the IPS he dismantled, the BMS was integrated into the mainboard. So it's specifically designed for the wheel, not some off-the-shelf bike BMS.

Edited by esaj

Yeah, I've dissected pretty much the entire IPS product range, all have the BMS embedded onto the control-board. Here's a picture of the CB on the IPS131/132, the charging connectors to the battery pack are shown on the lower & lower-right side of the image. 

I get the sense that IPS are pulling out all the stops with the Zero (except the name) & everything may be redesigned from the ground up here. Will consult my sales rep to see if they have the inside scoop.

Replacement Control-Boards- IPS132.JPG

• Upvote 3

Yep, looks much like kickstarter. Apparently its just a teaser for a campaign not yet started. Looks pretty darn tempting :wub:

Dear blessed Chinese speaking colleagues: can you probably figure out the details? Like when it starts and if there is a way for oversees-non-Chinese-speaking-longnoses to participate? As I don't assume, the "free shipping" extends to Europe, can you find any hint regards int'l shipping?

On 7/28/2015 at 5:18 PM, Daan said:

There is also little clearance between the road and the shell; I don't think it can 30+ degree inclines... 

30 degrees would mean 58% incline (slope), it's clearly a miscommunication? 30% incline are 17 degrees which, I guess, could be feasible? 

Edited by Mono

The design is awesome indeed, yet I am always (more) concerned with simple practical questions. Many of them you have asked already, here are some more coming into my mind:  

Can we fit a trolley handle bar? 

Do we have light and what's the specs (lumen) of the front light? 

Is there any anti-theft mechanism? 

Im I the only one who would prefer to see a 16" wheel with similar specs? 

BTW, I can hardly see myself buying anything below 300Wh capacity, other than as a cheap extra device, or with changeable battery specifically for traveling.

Edited by Mono

I really like this wheel, but

Response from IPS Sales Contact:
  1. is each motor individually tested as other manufacturers are starting to do? /IPS: Yes, before we make production, every motor need tested by professional employee, please don't worry about this.

now I am worried

Edit: I am unable to get the extra 'Jason McNeil' text out of the post :/, after Response from IPS Sales Contact:

Edited by cg
Attemting to fix foobar layout
  • Upvote 1

Does this mean the IPS is safe from BMS cut-off? 

Can't say anything for sure before somebody tests it, but as the BMS has been specifically designed for the wheel, I'd expect that they have taken measures to prevent unnecessary shutdowns (ie. the voltage limits are really low and/or slow reacting, so that they don't cut out immediately if the voltage sags and allow short-term higher currents without protections triggering).

IPS just sent to me the final specs of the new coming IPS Zero. Here is the email from IPS:

we have developed new IPS ZERO,IPS ZERO will be have in stock on August 20th.2015

Best Regards

Michael Hwang

IPS Electric Unicycle Co.,Ltd.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADD:NO.41 JIANXIN ROAD,JIANGBEI DISTRICT,CHONGQING,CHINA.
Mobile:+86-185080150195
Email:michael@ipselectricunicycle.com
Web:www.ipselectricunicycle.com
2.png3.90.png5.png6.png7.png8.png10.png11.png13.png14.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

10.png

11.png

13.png

14.png

IPS Unicycle Price.png

IPS Unicycle Price-Lhotz.png

IPS Zero specs.png

Edited by Gabriel
  • Upvote 3

Pure quality! It looks absolute gorgeous. If only IPS marketing materials had the same standards...  IPS has come a long way from the 101 & the i200 products. 

This feels like what the Ninebot should have been—light, practical, cheap(ish), high-performance, extremely elegant...

Why would the Zero-260 and the Zero-340 have exactly the same weight? 

My guess would be same amount of cells, but the 340Wh version has larger capacity cells... there seems to usually be very little weight difference between cells, even if their capacities are very different, a few grams per cell. Typical Li-Ion cell weighs around 45-50 grams, IIRC.

Assuming 32 cells (16S2P):

264Wh, 132Wh per pack:  132Wh/60V = 2.2Ah (2200mAh) cells

348Wh, 174Wh per pack: 174Wh/60V = 2.9Ah (2900mAh) cells

• Upvote 2

Design is very good. But... Max speed 30 km/h is quite dangerous with this kind of body. All is tight, even small stone can block the wheel on the run. Like this:

11bh4im.jpeg

And now imagine your flight.... ;)

For that sppeed I'd prefer old school design:

SKU202915-1.jpg

Also no front/back lights to drive in the dark, no retractable handle, no USB port, low height pedals and finally, for 14" price is around Ninebot E.

No good for me, sorry. 

Edited by vag72