If you fell off your EUC an a former employer died the next day would the events be related?

Bob Eisenman

For 1 year I worked for a famous researcher in the field of opthamology more than 15 years ago. He passed away March 19. On March 18, I broke my arm in an EUC fall.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Aside from the calendar sequence are the two dates inter related in some way?

• Yes the sequence of dates and events seem unusual
    • No the dates are simple calendar dates falling one after another.
    • You got me on this one.
    • He was Jewish , therefore these events are complicated in nature

I tend to get off topic on this forum...so I apologize. I'm also the guy who hit some ruff stuff on March 18, 2017 and broke his arm. Following an ambulance ride to Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital where describing an EUC to one doctor evoked the comment 'it almost sounds like an addiction' I spent the night on observation and was discharged on Sunday March 18, 2017. 
  So here's my story. I worked for a year at a lab at the Mass Eye and Ear in Boston, ultimately supervised by Dr. Berson , a world wide figure in the field of Opthalmology. Although the years (late 1990s) work went well and produced some results of interest which were presented at a Florida conference the primary discovery was made in Europe by Germans and other countries in that area. My previous lab work asdignment had failed to make the discovery first. In addition the percent of cases expected to fall under the scope of the discovery fell significantly short of the total expected to be affected. 
After the results were presented at the conference I shortly thereafter dismissed abruptly when I began to use additional research materials, at my immediate boss's direction, without paying a cash fee for their cconsumption and for 'staring out the window', which was annoying to another researcher.
Within a year the European group published additional information about the alternatively spliced version of the gene. This additional information accounted for the vision cases not explained by the initial discovery.
My data was passed on to the next researcher assigned to the project and was published using my bosses name and with 'technical credit' acknowledged to me at the end of the paper.

http://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2162711

I was not aware that he was ill and confess that he was both a strict administrator as well as a good guy. One obituary reads:

https://yalealumnimagazine.com/obituaries/3470-eliot-lawrence-berson-58

"OBITUARIES

In Remembrance: Eliot Lawrence Berson ’58
Died on March 19 2017
Dr. Eliot Lawrence Berson, the William F. Chatlos Professor of Ophthalmology at Harvard Medical School, passed away on March 19.  He was an international authority on hereditary retinal degenerations and founded the Berman-Gund Laboratory for the Study of Retinal Degenerations.
The Boston Globe carred an obituary on March 20, 2017."

So my poll question pertains to the curious association between my fall off the EUC on March 18, and Dr. Person's passing on March 19.
When I worked in his lab there was 1 publication described the poorly accepted concept. Today over 300 publications and thousands of database entries from all over the world can be retrieved from the NCBI.

I just remembered, my next door neighbor died from old age on my birthday about 6 years ago.  I thought at the time, "what are the odds of that happening?"

And frequently coming to a four way stop sign intersection at the exact same time as another car is annoying, what are the odds of that when there is very little traffic.

Archived