Oscillation and cut out problem with Gotway MSuper V3, ACM, maybe Monster shipped from May 2017 onwards

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

If the KS18 wasn't so damn tall and didn't have the speed limiters it would be a great wheel for me. The MSuper feels much more nimble, in my opinion. But maybe they'll come out with a low profile version some day. 

I actually like how 'tall' the KS18 is.  Shorter and it probably have to be wider. It's also nice to  be able use your knees to aid in steering. 

Could be the reason you felt mine had a 'squirrelly' feel to it when you rode it is because of the air pressure in the tire.  I have it pretty hard for my 193 lbs, not for your 170lbs.  That's probably why your Monster felt kinda 'mushy' to me because it was set up for your lower weight. 

Just a thought 

Allen

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

i found it.  thanks, reading up on it.  i've not seen any reports of this happening on the ACMs+ so far...  fingers crossed.

dude - pad up and then speed over some... bumps? to find out!

actually - maybe a grassy field would be the ideal place to test for this problem? no? so many dips and irregularities. then, if you wipe out it's not half as bad as concrete/asphalt/oncoming cars/babies in carriages

3 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Makes me even happier I have my KS18AY.  Heaven knows it's taken some pretty serious beatings from me and it keeps on going. 

(Kinda like a cross between a Timex and the Energizer bunny. ?)

I see that you guys are acquainted personally, so I don't mean to interfere/impose - but I have to say that when it comes to qualifying for 'taking a beating' I'm pretty sure my msuper meets the requirements. also, @TremF , whose monster was damaged shell-wise. his is undergoing expert surgery, but not as a result of his riding mishap which damaged the shell - to my understanding his monster was still riding fine after the accident.. it was a reconnecting of battery wires snafu that disabled it. I opted to duct-tape mine (up into the wheel-well) up because it was still riding fine and I couldn't find the right tools and also am not competent when it comes electrical/soldering stuff. I'm closing in on 100km...

I make this statement not so much as a challenge but a clarification this issue is most likely a programming error, it seems

Edited by kour
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, kour said:

I see that you guys are acquainted personally, so I don't mean to interfere/impose - but I have to say that when it comes to qualifying for 'taking a beating' I'm pretty sure my msuper meets the requirements. also, @TremF , whose monster was damaged shell-wise. his is undergoing expert surgery, but not as a result of his riding mishap which damaged the shell - to my understanding his monster was still riding fine after the accident.. it was a reconnecting of battery wires snafu that disabled it. I opted to duct-tape mine (up into the wheel-well) up because it was still riding fine and I couldn't find the right tools and also am not competent when it comes electrical/soldering stuff. I'm closing in on 100km...

I make this statement not so much as a challenge but a clarification this issue is most likely a programming error, it seems

I never stated anything about 'your msuper' not being able to take a beating.

9 hours ago, esaj said:

Do they have version control for the firmware at all? Maybe they thought they had the bug figured out and fixed, but it makes me wonder... why not just roll back to a known good version? If they can't reproduce the problem themselves, I hope they aren't just blindly trying to fix it without testing.

Unfortunately, I've seen this a vast number of times with computers and copy machines.  Techs under contract come in, mess around for a while, declare victory and dart out the door without testing.  They can be slippery as eels.  A huge percentage of them seem to be allergic to testing and will try to get away with not doing it even when caught again and again.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Turns out that you made a wise choice in bypassing Gotway this time around :cheers:

I'm starting to doubt my own choice to buy an MSuper too.  It wasn't my first choice, but I heard how much better Gotway had gotten regarding safety and reliability ...

Really sorry you got hurt there Marty. :(

And what a bummer after this long wait!   I guess the possible resolutions are just up in the air for now.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, abinder3 said:

I actually like how 'tall' the KS18 is.  Shorter and it probably have to be wider. It's also nice to  be able use your knees to aid in steering. 

Could be the reason you felt mine had a 'squirrelly' feel to it when you rode it is because of the air pressure in the tire.  I have it pretty hard for my 193 lbs, not for your 170lbs.  That's probably why your Monster felt kinda 'mushy' to me because it was set up for your lower weight. 

Just a thought 

Allen

I agree re liking how tall the KS18 is.  And I instinctively think narrower might be nicer, but have no experience to back that up.  Only remembering that some here said that the fatter new ACM's felt less comfortable on their legs, and that some fatter versions of an EUC made them have to bow their legs more and/or ride with their feet pushed out more toward the edges of the pedals.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Jason is getting new control boards and the ability to flash new firmware, a first for Gotway. I'm very hopeful that everything will be righted within a week or so. Keep practicing in preparation. You should feel confident that if Jason sends out the fixed wheels, they will be fixed. Let's all knock-on-wood :)

I do.  I believe Jason is fully invested in getting this business straightened out and in doing the right thing.

I actually haven't been practicing for a week because of a minor work injury that I don't want to make any worse, so luckily(well, kinda) my schedule for getting on the MSuper probably won't be affected by this delay, unless it really drags out.

What concerns me is that we track down the cause of any and all problems and fix them so that they don't reappear in new iterations.  I guess we can just roll back to an old version.  But a new version will come along some day, and we don't want to see the same mistakes repeated.

Edited by Dingfelder
  • Upvote 3

@Marty Backe

I have seen my video thousand times in slow mow. I cannot upload the video for to see it. I am sorry. But in slow speed you see and here the wheels shaking forth and back. Very scary at high speed. I have taken a belt through the wheel and went outside to make a video. If i have the new board i will test it like this again. I have the oscillation even at low speed over curbs. At this was my luck if not i will have injuries at higher speed.

Edited by Marcos75
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I'm starting to doubt my own choice to buy an MSuper too.  It wasn't my first choice, but I heard how much better Gotway had gotten regarding safety and reliability ...

Really sorry you got hurt there Marty. :(

And what a bummer after this long wait!   I guess the possible resolutions are just up in the air for now.

I got my MSuper 3 1600for $750 which I thought was a good deal. 

Now I'm not so sure. Nevertheless I haven't had any problems that were not user error.

59 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Now I'm not so sure. Nevertheless I haven't had any problems that were not user error.

I paid significantly more than double that.  I hope we both got a good deal and have safe rides.

38 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I paid significantly more than double that.  I hope we both got a good deal and have safe rides.

Nah we'll fist-bump from adjacent hospital beds.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

The issue does not affect wheels made before May 1st. If I recall you got yours well before that. Your good :)

23 minutes ago, em1barns said:

FYI, I just purchased an Msuper3 820wh with manufacturing date 20161116. The motherboard had to be changed after unboxing it as it grilled the LEDs (?!).

New motherboard received with manufacturing date 20170603. Wheel was feeling like v8, it was like the algorithm was much harder. After 2 miles, I had the same oscillation issue, luckily at 10mph, and managed to run without falling.... My 4th motherboard is ordered again (I had a temp spare used one in between from the vendor).

I think that if you have an 'older' wheel with a new MB and you got the oscillations, you might conclude that all problems are caused by the MB or the firmware that is on the MB. I still think it is the firmware as the MB probably hasn't changed, except for the 12 mosfet change (but these are parallel connected I believe)

Edited by MichaelHensen

14 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I agree re liking how tall the KS18 is.  And I instinctively think narrower might be nicer, but have no experience to back that up.  Only remembering that some here said that the fatter new ACM's felt less comfortable on their legs, and that some fatter versions of an EUC made them have to bow their legs more and/or ride with their feet pushed out more toward the edges of the pedals.

I actually rode @Marty Backe's Monster on side walks for about a mile and didn't really like how wide it was.  My knees actually hurt when I got off.  I kinda felt like I was 'bull legged" when riding it. 

@Sven Has a newer version of the Monster and the pads at the top appear to be about half as thick as the pads on @Marty Backe's.  I think Marty stated that Sven's Monster felt more comfortable when it came to knee pain. 

Allen

Edited by abinder3
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MichaelHensen said:

I think that if you have an 'older' wheel with a new MB and you got the oscillations, you might conclude that all problems are caused by the MB or the firmware that is on the MB. I still think it is the firmware as the MB probably hasn't changed, except for the 12 mosfet change (but these are parallel connected I believe)

My initial MB was 12 Mosfets, but we compared the old and new MB, and they were definitely different. So these are new MB and new firmware... 

Edited by em1barns
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Puce said:

Before reading this post I bought this friday morning a brand new Gotway Msuper 3 820, motor 1608

I have several hundreds kilometers experience with a inmotion V5F.

The gotway was setup by a Belgian dealer, 3 bar 43 psi tire pressure, sport mode, tiltback 33 Km/h 20 mph. My weight is more or less 60 Kg 130 lb.

I rode only 3 Km 2 miles before passing a small road repair not higher than one cm half inch high with smooth border.

Immediately the wheel started bumping with strong rotation acceleration while not touching the ground. It only took 2 meter to have the motor beeping and shutdown. I was at 20 Km/h 12 mph when my face kissed the road.

I came back home on the pavement at walking speed and had the issue a second time while going down from the pavement to the road where the pavement border was almost at road level.

At that speed I was able to control the bump oscillation and could feel my heel going up and down while my toe were stable.

Since this problem has been discovered two weeks ago and there still no official communication from Gotway I think I'm better asking for a refund.

Be aware of any recent Gotway euc if you don't want to look like me

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/aF4iS"><a href="//imgur.com/aF4iS"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sorry for your fall! Get well soon! and welcome to the forum!

small hint: you have to use direct links here to a foto website...in this case imgurs "direct link"...you can edit your post

• Upvote 1

• esaj changed the title to Oscillation and cut out problem with Gotway MSuper V3, ACM, maybe Monster shipped from May 2017 onwards
  • esaj unpinned this topic
  • esaj unfeatured this topic