Oscillation and cut out problem with Gotway MSuper V3, ACM, maybe Monster shipped from May 2017 onwards

Here an image of my Monster, with factory QC date of 12 May 2017. Does anything look off?

(I have had no problem riding, but it has been riden only 9km as of this message's date)

2017-06-26 21.51.36.jpg

3 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

Here an image of my Monster, with factory QC date of 12 May 2017. Does anything look off?

(I have had no problem riding, but it has been riden only 9km as of this message's date)

2017-06-26 21.51.36.jpg

I don't have the Monster memorized so I can't say. Are you posting it on this thread because you're concerned about the oscillation/cut-out problems?

If so, no Monsters have been cited as having this problem, and Gotway has only put out alerts regarding the ACM and MSuper. I would imagine that you're fine.

And to be clear, even if it had the problem, the failure mechanism is in the firmware so there's nothing to see.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't have the Monster memorized so I can't say. Are you posting it on this thread because you're concerned about the oscillation/cut-out problems?

If so, no Monsters have been cited as having this problem, and Gotway has only put out alerts regarding the ACM and MSuper. I would imagine that you're fine.

And to be clear, even if it had the problem, the failure mechanism is in the firmware so there's nothing to see.

Just making sure every piece is where it is suppossed to be. And yeah, these recent Gotway happenings have cause quite the panic amongst the euc community, so therefore, I express my paranoia by uploading that photo. ?

Edited by edwin_rm
grammar
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, esaj said:

Well, one thing's for sure after seeing that picture: Monster, ACM and MSuper all share the same board (maybe with some slight component changes, but otherwise that's exactly the same board as Rehab1's dead ACM board he sent me). So probably also the firmware code base is the same, which could potentially mean that NEW (post end-of-April) Monsters could also be affected. I'm still leaving the "maybe Monster" in the topic name...

EDIT: I was under the impression that Gotway was using TO-247's in Monsters, but those are the same TO-220's as in the ACM. So looks like KingSong (KS16S) and Rockwheel GT16 are the only ones using heavy-duty mosfets. I also bet that those are the exact same IRFB4110's as in ACMs and MSupers.

Unfortunately you may be correct :(

In this active thread @Demian B reports that his Monster has the MSuper board (if you believe the sticker):

What a mess 

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

Just making sure every piece is where it is suppossed to be. And yeah, these recent Gotway happenings have cause quite the panic amongst the euc community, so therefore, I express my paranoia by uploading that photo. ?

On the positive side, your board is stamped March. If that represents when the firmware was installed then you would be good. However, we really don't understand how Gotway is configuration managed.

21 minutes ago, esaj said:

Well, one thing's for sure after seeing that picture: Monster, ACM and MSuper all share the same board (maybe with some slight component changes, but otherwise that's exactly the same board as Rehab1's dead ACM board he sent me). So probably also the firmware code base is the same, which could potentially mean that NEW (post end-of-April) Monsters could also be affected. I'm still leaving the "maybe Monster" in the topic name...

EDIT: I was under the impression that Gotway was using TO-247's in Monsters, but those are the same TO-220's as in the ACM. I also bet that those are the exact same IRFB4110's as in ACMs and MSupers. So looks like KingSong (KS16S, IRFP4368) and Rockwheel GT16 (IRFP4110, TO-247 -version of the Gotway mosfets) are the only ones using heavy-duty mosfets..?

03485.png

Not that heavier gauge mosfets would help with melting wires and firmware bugs... ;)

I want to add that I'm dubious that the firmware is the same. Wouldn't the wheel diameter require changes if nothing else but for the speed calibration. Also, the Monster has fans which turn on at 43 degrees. But when @Rehab1 tested his "fan port" on the ACM board it did not activate. This leads me to believe that they use the same hardware but flash different firmware based on the wheel.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, esaj said:

Ah, I read it through earlier, but missed that detail. I can see the cost-benefit point of making only a single board instead of two or three different ones, and like has been stated before, we aren't seeing boards blowing up left and right, so it's probably not that big of an issue. But it does have it's problems, like a tired worker doing an 12-hour shift or whatever, and mistakenly placing the wrong board on a wheel, as they all look the same... although I'd expect they at the very least try that the wheel turns on and balances before shipping it off ;)

Likely it's the exact same board on every wheel, and the firmware's the same, only certain parameters are changed to match the motor inductances and other parameters. One of those parameters could be the current limit (if that's what is actually causing the bug), so it might be correct in Monsters and wrong in ACMs/MSupers.

Wouldn't it be sooo nice if someone from Gotway could drop in here and answer these basic questions without giving away any trade secrets? We can dream...

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I want to add that I'm dubious that the firmware is the same. Wouldn't the wheel diameter require changes if nothing else but for the speed calibration. Also, the Monster has fans which turn on at 43 degrees. But when @Rehab1 tested his "fan port" on the ACM board it did not activate. Them leads me to believe that they use the same hardware but flash different firmware based on the wheel.

Well, you probably saw my earlier post already, but what I mean by "same code base" is that the basic code driving the wheel functions is the same, but they have different builds of the same firmware where certain parameters of the firmware are changed to match each different wheel (ACM, MSuper, Monster, might be also different for 67V vs. 84V). Call it "configuration"? ;)

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wouldn't it be sooo nice if someone from Gotway could drop in here and these basic questions without giving away any trade secrets? We can dream...

Yeah, one can dream... Someone actually posted a shop selling Firewheel-boards (or clones of them, although apparently Firewheel board is a clone of SBU :D), and the shop also mentioned that they have the firmware source code available. Didn't contact them myself (at least yet, I've got my hands full right now with all my own stuff already :P), but might try in the future. It's no Gotway/KS/Inmotion/whatever-big-name firmware, but it would be interesting to see a more "professional" firmware without having to just guess how they're made. Of course it could also be that the big-names use totally different algorithms for driving the motor and calculating the balancing loop.

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 3

On 6/24/2017 at 1:20 PM, Pingouin said:

Gotway doesn't get better, in 2015 the first 680Wh MCM2 was a revolution, and there weren't any major issues,

MSuper 2 is another great option. It's cheaper than MSuper 3 and avoids the MSuper 3 problems. I've had mine for a month so far with zero problems and huge amounts of enjoyment.

On 6/25/2017 at 3:27 AM, em1barns said:

given that cutoffs described happened within 2 miles of usage, how the heck is Gotway testing their changes? Are they even testing it at all? Do they only use a bench? Testing should include several thousand miles usage in real and varied conditions.

This has been a glaring shortcoming of Gotway for a long time. It's hard to believe this company operates with such minimal testing, but that's what the evidence seems to show.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Do we know that wheels from before this date are good (because the firmware update didn't exist yet then)? Do you have more information on this?

I'll try to find out details of campaign and will update this thread then.

• Upvote 2

• esaj unpinned this topic
  • esaj unfeatured this topic