Oscillation and cut out problem with Gotway MSuper V3, ACM, maybe Monster shipped from May 2017 onwards

From the feedback I received, it seems that importers will receive the tools to reflash firmware. At least for this issue.
Not seen anything written or any official Gotway communication yet.

I'm happy to have a good support from my local dealer. Good thing that I did not buy from a foreign source this time.

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

that was in no way a thinking of you apologizing for gotway!! one of your main threads here is named "GW screwed us up" ....so i know you are realistic and have been also hurt by what happends! i just wanted to to make clear, that i saw the "confirmed" statement a bit different! and that i think that it were more the honest dealers, that have informed GW, than the other way around....

As Forum team member, that as a plus has a name that can lead to the misinterpretation that i am a brand "Fanboy", i am always careful with my statements for or against ANY brand! But here in this case i am clearly still missing official statements as they HAVE their forummembers here and they were the complete time quiet....

I am also not going to abandon Gotway, they have there part in the market and competition is needed! But i really hope they came up with better QS and Testing. This is just needed for this type of device we put our feets on....even minor faults are leading to bad injuries.

Well said @KingSong69 :cheers:

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

Gotway (ACM, Msuper) have had similar problems in the past (to a lesser extent).

If I recall correctly, the problem could be completely mitigated by selecting: "Comfort Mode" (medium), rather than: "Powerful Mode" (hard) in the Ride Mode settings of the Phone App (due to a firmware fault of some sort that affected hard mode only).

That was the temporary workaround until a permanent fix was later implemented. 

I used to ride a MCM4 and I always found the hard stiffness ride mode (no sexual innuendo here) to be unbearable for the knees. I would always set it to medium.

Now changing the topic, it seems there are no recorded instances of the problem affecting the Monster. Can any Monster owners confirm? I have one on the way and would like to be prepared just in case. Any recommendations whether to open it up and apply something to it (chemicals, tapes, etc.) Thanks.

I've been thinking that changing the ride mode may help, as a workaround until I get mine re-flashed next week. Thanks for the reminder.

The Gotway statements (indirect) from Ian and Jason refer to the ACM and MSuper so I have gathered that the Monster is not affected. It's probably such a different beast as compared to the other wheels that it uses different firmware. The Monster appears to be the most reliable wheel that Gotway has produced, even though the shell is fragile as hell.

1 hour ago, Pingouin said:

the Monster has had some bad episodes with the wires mealting up & burned mosfets in extreme riding conditions

Really? Do you have sources?

1 hour ago, Pingouin said:

but you must be right about the firmware, best proof is that in comfort mode, the Monster is as hard as the ACM in hard mode.

Monster is harder than the ACM (not the other way round)? Would not harder wheels be more susceptible to mosfet burnoutsor other failures?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Really? Do you have sources?

Monster is harder than the ACM (not the other way round)? Would not harder wheels be more susceptible to mosfet burnoutsor other failures?

Yes, speedyfeet during his 1000 miles tour, and one of my friends who had his 1600Wh monster wires that melted on the trail, when he turned it on again it shortcut the PCB burning 2 mosfets, he had to buy a new PCB.

I'm not convinced that the mode is responsible for failures because these mods have been available fro years with no such issues.

• Upvote 2

Thanks. So the Monster wires can melt too, though they didn't when Marty's ACM's wires did. Hmm...

I think hard mode is both more demanding on the electronics (higher and more sudden currents) and a faster response might also be responsible for the oscillation bug (which seems to be the wheel repeatedly overcompensating and in this way amplifying the imbalance until it's too much and it gives up). So that's a possible explanation. I still would not want to risk the buggy firmware with the other ride modes, might show up there too under the right circumstances.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

This may have been answered somewhere in the last 11 pages (popular thread this one)... But does this affect the 84V machines only, or the 67V models too?

As far as I know, the Msuper 3 820 is a 67 V machine. So, yes, the 67 V models are affected.

• Upvote 2

Looking at the video of @Marty you clearly could hear a beep before it cuts off. so it is a software based action, then it makes sense what @em1barns states.. Current limit cutoff routine is too tight .. Thus it makes sense that it isn't related to the wheelcode but rather the productiondate and flash date of the board.. I hope that, if the distributers have their flashing tools, the current wheels can be flashed to the 'correct' firmware and everybody can start to enjoy the wheel.. 

As mentioned before mine (MSuper V3 1600) is produced 170609 and I am not able to reproduce the error.. Although being caution I've ridden it for 65km now on all different kind of terrains, flat asphalt, concrete slabs, Forrest paths, grass field, sidewalks.. this on all various speeds.. 

Although my wheel feels ok, I am still in doubt if I should replace my board as it is impossible to get the firmware version of the board.. 

Edited by MichaelHensen
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, MichaelHensen said:

Looking at the video of @Marty you clearly could hear a beep before it cuts off. so it is a software based action, then it makes sense what @em1barns states.. Current limit cutoff routine is too tight .. Thus it makes sense that it isn't related to the wheelcode but rather the productiondate and flash date of the board.. I hope that, if the distributers have their flashing tools, the current wheels can be flashed to the 'correct' firmware and everybody can start to enjoy the wheel.. 

As mentioned before mine (MSuper V3 1600) is produced 170609 and I am not able to reproduce the error.. Although being caution I've ridden it for 65km now on all different kind of terrains, flat asphalt, concrete slabs, Forrest paths, grass field, sidewalks.. this on all various speeds.. 

Although my wheel feels ok, I am still in doubt if I should replace my board as it is impossible to get the firmware version of the board.. 

Note that not only is the firmware different, but I could witness the board electronic components were also different at different production dates.

So I am not sure which firmware was tested with what board... worst, I am not sure Gotway keeps track of it either... 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, MichaelHensen said:

Travel at about 15mph into a sidewalk curb like I did and maybe you can get it to fail for you too :D   I've tried all kinds of lower speed (7-8mph) riding but it won't reoccur.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, em1barns said:

There are 3 key questions:

1) the solution from gotway is to remove the limit, but key question is why was the limit implemented in the first place? That's probably to get rid of another issue... 

This bugs me too.  If you take out the solution to a problem because the solution was flawed ... you still have the same problem you started with.

So what next?

Going back to having my board in danger of burning out isn't really a solution ...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Travel at about 15mph into a sidewalk curb like I did and maybe you can get it to fail for you too :D   I've tried all kinds of lower speed (7-8mph) riding but it won't reoccur.

I attached a cam to record the point of contact between the wheel and the ground and I tried to reproduce the issue at low speed at the area where it occur on my way back from the crash but I wasn't "lucky" either.

Probably because I'm far less confident, my position on the wheel must be different. 

As it occurred while the wheel was bouncing, weight and tire pressure also have an influence.

• Upvote 1

• esaj unpinned this topic
  • esaj unfeatured this topic