Which Map App?

CaptainKBLS

It doesn't feel like my V8 is giving me 20-30 miles.  I'm not sure I'm even hitting 10.

Anyways what map app (android) are you guys using?  It would be great to save a picture of the route and give distance.

I went down to 2 bars in just only about an hour of ride.  So I like an app to tell how long I've traveled.

I'm 5.7 and 180lb, route is generally flat with slight uphill/downhill, the paved trail is a bit rough, probably only peaking at 13mph (too scared to go faster and mostly lower than that).

I use OruxMaps for a very long time now. It changed a lot through the years but still is a good app. I built my own (offline) topo map data for it, including elevation data, so OruxMaps can render 3D views of the terrain. It comes with a reasonable selection of online map data as well... Depends on the area you live in, if online data gets you covered. But I think for your purpose, basically every GPS logger will do. There are some which are very basic and use very little battery while in use.

I use "Geo Tracker" for androids. It use Google maps to show your trips. You can run it and let it automatically record the whole trip, then review the trips any time later. Very handy tool.

Very useful thread!

Didn't use much of apps (Android) yet, but concentrated on offline functionality:

• Openstreetmap for Android (OsmAnd) is a great overall thing, works fully offline (you can download gigabytes of map data) and while a bit complicated, has all functionality you might ever imagine - from night mode to god knows what. Almost too much if you only want some specific functionality.
  • maps.me - didn't use this much yet, but also offline and a backup app can't hurt

Is there a free version of OruxMaps? Found only he donation thing.

Thanks for the Geo Tracker tip, will definitely try this next ride!

With the wheel I use the free version of "RoadBike" (from Runtastic). It offers everything I don't need, :)  average speed, maxspeed, track length, track history, statistics, exact GPS track on the map.  For me the most valuable thing is, that I don't need to care about my historic rides, they are just there, can be viewed with all details and compared with new ones.

For serious hikes and mountaineering I prefer a Garmin 64S, because of the battery capacity and the robustness.

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Very useful thread!

Didn't use much of apps (Android) yet, but concentrated on offline functionality:

• Openstreetmap for Android (OsmAnd) is a great overall thing, works fully offline (you can download gigabytes of map data) and while a bit complicated, has all functionality you might ever imagine - from night mode to god knows what. Almost too much if you only want some specific functionality.
  • maps.me - didn't use this much yet, but also offline and a backup app can't hurt

Is there a free version of OruxMaps? Found only he donation thing.

Thanks for the Geo Tracker tip, will definitely try this next ride!

Google map now has offline feature. You can choose the map areas to download. It helps a lot for this Geo Tracker app.

I like MapMyRide.  Quick access to the stored data and maps.  I also use it to export the tracks and waypoints to Google Earth.

2 Geo Tracker tips:

• set recording mode to "precise" (or whatever it is in English) for a smoother track.
  • If you press the save icon (floppy disk), Geotracker will make a picture of the entire stats screen. When you import photos from the phone to your PC it will be among the rest. Very convenient! No need to take screenshots.

23313.png

I use Strava. It does everything else other map trackers listed here also do. But what I really like about Strava is that it gives you a "moving flyby" view where you can see yourself moving on a map along with other strava users.

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#1010737855

Riding with bicyclist

My icon is the Gotway MSuper v3.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 9:41 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

2 Geo Tracker tips:

• set recording mode to "precise" (or whatever it is in English) for a smoother track.
  • If you press the save icon (floppy disk), Geotracker will make a picture of the entire stats screen. When you import photos from the phone to your PC it will be among the rest. Very convenient! No need to take screenshots.

23313.png

How do I get this picture and the route so I can email and post as done here?  Thank you.

Press the floppy disk icon in the top right (the thing at the very top right, does not get any more top or right) and it will save a picture of the entire stats screen to the phone.

For the route, you have to do it manually. Wait a moment until the buttons fade out in map view, and press power + volume down at the same time to make a screenshot (that also will be saved to your phone)

Then you can import these pictures like you would import photos from a camera. In the USB connect notification of your phone (appears when you connect phone to a pc via cable), select foto transfer and then the computer should open the photo import screen (Win 10, not sure about older versions but they should also ask what you want to do).

I like Cyclemeter (for bikes) which I have installed on my iPhone.  It gives me much more information than your typical EUC app (except for internals like battery power).  For internal data and logging, I use Darknessbot.  Here is a screen shot from Cyclemeter:

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 5.43.28 PM.png

About the apps, I tried Strava and it does not do much more than Geotracker (at least the things I care about). It has a nice option so you don't need to unlock your phone, the controls are right there if you power on the screen. Also I don't like the entire social/tracking crap that Strava does (although that's its point) so I prefer Geotracker (of course you can always use both;)).

Both apps (Strava, Geotracker) are quite imprecise with the GPS path and other data. Likely my phone is to blame (not so good GPS), not the apps themselves.

1 minute ago, Chris Westland said:

I like Cyclemeter (for bikes) which I have installed on my iPhone.  It gives me much more information than your typical EUC app (except for internals like battery power).

Nice! Will try on the next ride.

2 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I like Cyclemeter (for bikes) which I have installed on my iPhone.  It gives me much more information than your typical EUC app (except for internals like battery power).  For internal data and logging, I use Darknessbot.  Here is a screen shot from Cyclemeter:

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 5.43.28 PM.png

@Chris Westland do you use the paid version?  I've been using this app for a while and have been considering paying for the full version but was curious if you had already done it and if so what you liked about it?

A year ago I downloaded all free cycle navigators with route planning available for iPhone. I settled on Komoot. Uses Openstreetmaps Cycle map data, is great for planning and saving tours, tracks while navigating, and can save tours with data.

Available for Android as well.

https://www.komoot.com/

Since this kind of thing seems like it needs to use GPS constantly, I figure it must march you toward the data limit of your plan.  

But I wonder how much?  I don't have unlimited data.  

Any idea roughly how much data you might use per some convenient measure of distance ... 10 miles, 5 miles, 1 miles ... whatever ... ?

GPS signals are only received (and not via internet, but directly), and you send nothing (why you can't track a GPS any more than you can track a car radio). So itself it won't need any data at all (because that's an entirely different thing) and works offline (if the cellular network were down or you have no reception).

So if the app you use doesn't take the chance to do something else while you're getting GPS data (for example, load more map data while you view the map, or load 10 trillion video ads), no data usage whatsoever from using GPS.

Some phone's GPSes use quite some battery though... but if you take a USB cable with you, the msuper can power your phone forever.

9 hours ago, Maximus said:

@Chris Westland do you use the paid version?  I've been using this app for a while and have been considering paying for the full version but was curious if you had already done it and if so what you liked about it?

Paid version of Cyclemeter.  I also purchased the Darnessbot app, as well as the Graphs and VideoR addons.  The UI is modest, but it is the best app out there, and by far better than any of IPS' or Inmotions apps. 

4 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Since this kind of thing seems like it needs to use GPS constantly, I figure it must march you toward the data limit of your plan.  

But I wonder how much?  I don't have unlimited data.  

Any idea roughly how much data you might use per some convenient measure of distance ... 10 miles, 5 miles, 1 miles ... whatever ... ?

Cyclemeter has battery life under control.  I think they mainly use cell tower triangulation with ~10sec updates of GPS position (it is for a bike, so can be slow compared with an auto GPS).  I have, though, had that experience with other cycle trackers -- the GPS drains the battery quickly, and sometimes you run out of phone before you finish your trip even. 

As meep replied earlier, GPS doesn't use cellular data, but many apps do for the map data. Some apps have the option to load map data to your phone and use the app in an offline mode.

3 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Cyclemeter has battery life under control.  I think they mainly use cell tower triangulation with ~10sec updates of GPS position (it is for a bike, so can be slow compared with an auto GPS).  I have, though, had that experience with other cycle trackers -- the GPS drains the battery quickly, and sometimes you run out of phone before you finish your trip even. 

That's good to hear.  My problem with other GPS tracking apps has been excessive battery drain.  Will definitely give Cyclemeter a try.  

Archived