Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I hope you don't run into problems crossing either Germany or Austria as I believe the police have been issuing tickets to people illegally riding wheels there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Gimlet said:

I hope you don't run into problems crossing either Germany or Austria as I believe the police have been issuing tickets to people illegally riding wheels there.

What is illegal riding there? I've never heard about i can't ride in germany on the EUC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They require any motorised vehicle capable of travelling over 6kph to have insurance, which is impossible to get for a euc.

It's not always enforced by the police but is sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gimlet said:

They require any motorised vehicle capable of travelling over 6kph to have insurance, which is impossible to get for a euc.

It's not always enforced by the police but is sometimes.

Oh, i see. Thank you for information ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a great adventure, Uliana!  It would be nice if you could record it for youtube, too.  Or write about it in a blog. Or both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dingfelder said:

Sounds like a great adventure, Uliana!  It would be nice if you could record it for youtube, too.  Or write about it in a blog. Or both.

Thank you ?

Yes, of course, i will record some videos and post on youtube and maybe some picture in instagram ?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Uliana said:

What is illegal riding there? I've never heard about i can't ride in germany on the EUC.

Might help on the way:) 

 

21 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Austria

Isn't Austria okay with the legality? The last thing I've heard is it's okay to ride on cycling lanes in Austria.

 

Let us know whether you'd need a space to crash, there are tons of people from Europe on this forum. Myself, I'm a Russian in England, but I don't assume it's within your plans :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A space to crash? ?? what does it mean? 

No, England isn't in my plan ? but maybe one day i'll go there too ? i hope so ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Sorry, but you must also avoid Italy, the wheels are not allowed there, you can only use them in private places.

Then it depends if you meet kind or angry policemen, but the risk is high, a month ago a guy on a hoverboard took a 1200€ fine in the city of Trento...:wacko:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow...Good luck. Someone else on this forum told me about a free image hosting service. You upload an image (like from a Smartphone or laptop) and get a URL to post , like below.

'Imgoat.com'

22098.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you going to pass through Czech Republic? In any case that's over 3000 km!!! If you can make that, it will be awesome :) What wheel are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FULspeed said:

Hi,

Sorry, but you must also avoid Italy, the wheels are not allowed there, you can only use them in private places.

Then it depends if you meet kind or angry policemen, but the risk is high, a month ago a guy on a hoverboard took a 1200€ fine in the city of Trento...:wacko:

Holy cow that is insane.  For 1200 euros you should be able to kidnap a whole family and burn their house down, not just be riding a EUC ...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think riding an EUC across Europe is a terrible plan, both dangerous and slow. It is not in the cities and towns but the distances between the urban areas.

You would want a rather large wheel to cover the distance, but EUC's are difficult and dangerous to ride at higher speeds, plus the wheels that can be ridden at 25km/h are large and expensive. One might as well get an electric scooter or bicycle instead.

I would instead recommend getting something like a month-long eurorail pass, and use that to cover the vast distances between cities, and use your little wheel to explore each destination. Going around a city in a little EUC is 100 times more fun than riding for hours along a deserted road.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Holy cow that is insane.

Absolutely right!

in fact there was apparently a dispute with the cops, and they replied applying the Street Code to his hoverboard, considering it like a small motorbike. (two wheels and an engine, right?)

Then it was fined for: lack of license plate, lack of insurance (mandatory in Italy), lack of helmet (also this mandatory), missing type certificate… 

And finally they also confiscated the vehicle!:blink1:

Edited by FULspeed
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FULspeed said:

Absolutely right!

in fact there was apparently a dispute with the cops, and they replied applying the Street Code to his hoverboard, considering it like a small motorbike. (two wheels and an engine, right?)

Then it was fined for: lack of license plate, lack of insurance (mandatory in Italy), lack of helmet (also this mandatory), missing type certificate… 

And finally they also confiscated the vehicle!:blink1:

Wow that is crazy.  It sounds like the cops were trying to get revenge for being argued with.

I have a big problem with confiscating anything from people too.  It seems to me to be almost always the worst way to go about things in a free society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The young man has obviously filed appeal to the local Judge, in a few months (a lot of months I think, in Italy we are probably the world champions of bureaucracy...) we will see if the police was right or not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I live in Brussels central, you are welcome to crash at my place and get waffles if that's on your way.

Edited by Benoît Brummer
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Benoît Brummer said:

I live in Brussels central, you are welcome to crash at my place and get waffles if that's on your way.

Haha ? cool, thank you ??? now i guess it will be on my way ?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Benoît Brummer said:

I live in Brussels central, you are welcome to crash at my place and get waffles if that's on your way.

3 hours ago, Uliana said:

Haha ? cool, thank you ??? now i guess it will be on my way ?

I need to do some shopping at the weekend, think I might travel via Belgium - get the Nutella out......
:thumbup: :efee6b18f3: :D

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

26 d 8 hr (3078 km) via DK22

Wow, that looks like a very interesting trip!

What does it mean, "via DK22"? I tried searching Google, but I did not find what DK22 means.

Also, the icon after 26 d 8 hr (in the white rectangle in Germany approximately at the midpoint of the route) looks like a boat, am I right? I don't understand why, as the route shown does not look like it goes through water.

 

Riga-Madrid.png

Edited by MaxLinux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I would instead recommend getting something like a month-long eurorail pass, and use that to cover the vast distances between cities, and use your little wheel to explore each destination. Going around a city in a little EUC is 100 times more fun than riding for hours along a deserted road.

That's a great idea! The blog and videos would still be super cool, maybe even cooler than the original plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×