Help?! New V3pro charging problem

Circuitmage

I just got my new V3pro and it appears to have a problem. 

With charger plugged in it shows orange wrench and repeatedly says "please repair". Bars on screen are cycling up. After 30 mins plugged in the app shows battery drop from 42% to 38%. PS brick shows green light, and I measure 0V on output...so looks like power brick is bad.

Is this behaviour normal if PS is bad?

I've tested all features of V3; Bluetooth, music, app connects, registered thru app, lights work, diagnostics 100%, on/off/sleep. Everything seems ok save charger.

If so, please point me to fast PS replacement. I see $70 from China on EBay. I have already spent 5 weeks ordering, having UPS lose first V3, getting seller to ship another one...just hoping to get this going soon. I don't want to ride it until I get it charging and really hope to avoid sending it back as I have a vacation in a couple weeks I am hoping to use it on.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Are you plugging the charger into the V3pro first and then plugging the charger into the wall socket ?

First plugging the charger into the wheel first and then plugging the charger into the wall have helped some people that have charging problems. 

V3 is a bit curious when charging. If you pull the wall socket before the contact in the V3, and do that before it is entirely finished, it registers that charging stopped while batteries are not full and reports that as an error. Hence the "please repair".

Fixing it should be really simple: take something pointy and press the reset that is under the same slide as the charging port.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Really seems like since I measure 0V on plug that PS is bad. Also green light stays on ps brick. It should be red when charging.  Right?

Yes it should.

If you reset it and it still has the wrench, then something is probably bad. Have you made a self-diagnostic? That can be done through the app.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, App Diagnostics says 100% OK. All systems green. Kind of a cool feature. I've tried resetting all kinds of ways, plugging in and out all kinds of ways. Not going to spend money on another charger if it's a bad battery.

Seller came back and said Inmotion says the battery cell is probably bad. So, I'm just returning it for refund and ordered another one from another vendor.

After playing with all features, still looks good...happy with features, right now this old man don't need speed. :)

Thanks for the tips. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Seller came back and said Inmotion says the battery cell is probably bad. So, I'm just returning it for refund and ordered another one from another vendor.

About 15% of the V3Pro have problems charging right-out-of-the-box. IMO the diagnostics are overly sensitive to any slight imbalance in the cells. Here's the a Troubleshooting Process flow.

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjdXdmQWRuV

• Upvote 2

Wow! That is an excellent flow chart for basic power system troubleshooting. 

Looks like I went to the right place. :)

However, after continuing to think about this problem, I am not sure that flow chart is correct (please correct ME if I am wrong). I measured 0V coming out of the charger at the plug. This seems to indicate a charger problem. The brick is spec'd for 84VDC out at 1.5A. It seems like there should be something coming out of the 2 pin charger (center pin + and shielded plug case). Is this a "smart" charger that will go to 0V if there is no load? 

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I know that this post is old, sorry to revive it. I hope I can give some light here. The charger is intelligent and does not provide voltage unless there is a load on it. So you might see no output on it. On the other hand, your issue is very likely a problem with the battery. Please take into account hat these units have 20 batteries in series, and if one of them fails, the system will react weird even shutting it down completely. The unit can even report 100% of charge with one dead cell (other cells can compensate for that single cell). I found 3 dead cells in my unit. So I would update the flowchart, as there could also be a problem with a fully charged battery on the battery. If I am not wrong a symptom could be that the unit will never stop charging (the speaker will never say "unit charged"). Hope this helps! 

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, Hollywoodika said:

I'm trying to charge my daughter's V3 Pro but the device is completely off.

The indicator light is green on the charger but the wheel is still off.

If somebody know what to do pls let me know.

Thank you

Best to follow the Troubleshooting Process flow, i'd assume.