Gotway pedals

Looks pretty good like that, you probably can shave away a little useless material also by increasing the inner corner radius.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you want a challenge, design pedals that are a bit higher (off the ground) but still can be closed (more or less, at least a bit).

Great idea but unfortunately that would require a complete redesign of the pedal hangers as well.

The 6 screw attachment holes in cast aluminum hangers would need to be drilled closer to the pedal mount articulation in order to raise the pedals proximally.  This would require a complete remanufacture of the hanger design and also the plastic side shell if you want the pedals to close properly. You can see there is no space left between the top of the pedal and the side panel.

Bummer as I would like this modification implemented also! GW are you listening?  :)

No no, I meant a pedal (assembly) that fits the existing wheel but is somehow higher (just 2 or 3 cm would make a big difference). Guess you need an extra moving part for that. See attached professional picture for an idea (incomplete, no idea how it stays "up" in the open position unless the red part does not rotate). Anyways, making such a thing (that actually works and fits existing wheels) might be a nice creativity+CAD design challenge.

extra.jpg

My old IPS 132's had secondary pedal mounting holes on the hangers about 30mm above the ones the pedals were mounted on. 

I soon moved them up and found them much more pleasant to ride.

That's wonderful:thumbup: I was fixated on new pedals/some kind of complicated folding assembly, but in the end you just need a simple non-moving piece between the existing brackets and existing pedals! (though bigger/longer pedals would be the next step, as the added height allows for more)

I'd make it so the upper hole (for the pedal) is further outside instead of the same horizontal position. So the pedal is maybe 2 cm further away from the wheel. The critical scraping angle between ground and wheel is <45°, so you can easily get away with putting the pedal the same distance further outside as the distance it has been lifted (corresponding to 45°) [if you even want to push it that far outside].

This would allow the pedals to fold up unimpeded by the side plate extension (which is 1.5 cm + some space you need for a new pedal magnet); and wider pedals (further outside) might be nice anyways if you have the space.

extra2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news. I was expecting a price of around 100 €/pair but I got a price of 450 €/pedal.

pedal6.jpg

:blink1::shock2::efeee20b79:

450€ for some aluminium block and putting it in a CNC... even with labor costs and it being only one piece....:whistling:

Maybe you'll find a better price somewhere. This is definitely a worthwhile experiment! I'm sure people would love if they could get reasonably priced custom pedals for their Gotways.

Maybe they have price breaks for larger quantities, if you made a group order then the price could get lower per pair? Of course better make sure the measurements and design is correct before ordering a big bunch... ;)

5 hours ago, OliverH said:

Done any finite element/ forces simulation?

Not yet, but I am planning to. I just stardet playing with Freecad. I will double check with an other FEA application.

• 2 weeks later...

I bougth the alumunium pieces cut to length for 40 €. The inox bolts and 2 drill bits cost 25 €. A friend lets me use his table drill and threading bits.

I could not wait and tried the pedals out the way they are. The outer side is a bit more tilted up as the original but I like it that way.

Now I still have to solve the magnet problem. I was thinking of putting a piece of sheet metal under the griptape. Any ideas? 

CIMG2383.JPG

CIMG2384.JPG

Nice!

You could glue a magnet to the underside of the pedals (the outside on the first picture with the pedal folded up). It would not get in the way of the grip tape or be a notable bump while you stand, and a magnet instead of a metal piece makes the pedal holding a bit stronger (it easily falls down with the stock magnets).

Archived