KS-14C 680WH first impression

dmethvin

I wonder if there is any way to take it to a welding shop to see if they can straighten the axle and arc weld it.  Big problem might be heat transfered to the cable harness inside though.  Some people have been able to get a spare axle and get the old one pressed out.  I think there was a guy from Eastern Europe who posted a bunch of photos about it.   If Jason McNeil has replacement motors at $150 (I doubt the axle costs that much), it might just be easier to go that route.

EDIT:  Found it.  @andress is the male man to consult.

9 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Yeah man

I've been riding the 14C pretty hard for the past month and it's been awesome!  All I can tell you is, if you can afford it, I highly recommend the 16S.  I just rode mine today for the first time and it's light years better than the 14C, and I really liked the 14C...it's closer to the V8, but still a major upgrade from that.  It's also my understanding that the axles are bigger on the 16S, but I have no idea how that compares to some of the larger 18 and 22" options in terms of durability?  Just wanted to plug the 16S while it's fresh on my mind :) 

Super sorry for you both that the 14C's axles crapped out.  Got to be pretty disheartening...

Unless you lose a lot of weight then I don't suggest you buy a replacement axel. That's kinda where I am, I figure I need to get from 205 down to 175 before the KS14C is semisafe to ride.

Can you post pictures?

15 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I've been riding the 14C pretty hard for the past month and it's been awesome!  All I can tell you is, if you can afford it, I highly recommend the 16S.  I just rode mine today for the first time and it's light years better than the 14C, and I really liked the 14C...it's closer to the V8, but still a major upgrade from that.  It's also my understanding that the axles are bigger on the 16S, but I have no idea how that compares to some of the larger 18 and 22" options in terms of durability?  Just wanted to plug the 16S while it's fresh on my mind :) 

Super sorry for you both that the 14C's axles crapped out.  Got to be pretty disheartening...

I have a KS16S. It might be the best wheel on the market but the KS14C is the wheel I grab when I need to make a slushie QT run while picking up meph 'ho's on the way there.

Everyone should have several wheels.

--MSuper V3S: I need to get there fast.

--KS14C: I want to have fun getting there.

--Inmotion V5F: I need to be taller than everyone else while getting halfway there.

--KS16S: I need to trigger epileptics on the way there.

Just now, LanghamP said:

I have a KS16S. It might be the best wheel on the market but the KS14C is the wheel I grab when I need to make a slushie QT run while dodging meph 'ho's on the way there.

Everyone should have several wheels.

--MSuper V3S: I need to get there fast.

--KS14C: I want to have fun getting there.

--Inmotion V5F: I need to be taller than everyone else while getting halfway there.

--KS16S: I need to trigger epileptics on the way there.

This might be one of the best posts ever on this forum.  

There should be something better than just a single reputation, like once a year we are allowed to give out a gold star, cause if we could, @LanghamP you would have just got one!

That was a great post, Langham. I'll detail my journey below:

March - Get MiniPro, find out about unicycles

April - Buy Kingsong 14c for 800

ride around for hundreds of miles and be fat

July - Kingsong Axle broken

I'll try and tear it apart and take pics this weekend, but I'm in the middle of moving right now, but it's got the telltale pedal scrape and different clearances on either side. Pedal doesn't scrape if you don't stand on it, but jump on and it scrapes. I think I could ride it for maybe another hour, so I'm saving that hour for my birthday in February :D

8 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

April - Buy Kingsong 14c for 800

4 months?  Damn, you'd think that a warrantee might cover that amount of time...

I mean, I'm sure you are within the manufacture's weight limits and while jumping off curbs or riding hard is likely not recommended it might be worth investingating whether or not you are still covered?

I don't suppose you purchased your wheel through a retailer, like @Jason McNeil?

@LanghamP, you may want to follow up with @KaleOsaurusRex about your 14C...I'm pretty sure there was some sort of warrantee that covered our wheels for some period of time...I know he's getting out of the business, but he can likely point you in the right direction to try and get in touch with King Song...

I'm in diplomatic talks right now via email with Diana from Kingsong. I purchased the wheel from electricunicyclereviews.com before he had his big sale. He's shutting down and has no stock, so maybe Kingsong will help me out with replacement motor. 

12 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I'm in diplomatic talks right now via email with Diana from Kingsong. I purchased the wheel from electricunicyclereviews.com before he had his big sale. He's shutting down and has no stock, so maybe Kingsong will help me out with replacement motor. 

very optimistic....but i really wish the best for you!

and:

Ok, this seams to be a unit, that was standing AT LEAST over a year at Kale's house...so one of the "older" Ks14c...as he had that stock since i started my EUC unit...february/march 2016...

i really wondered how the axle has broken so early...as in newer revisions this was -mostly- fixed....

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

very optimistic....but i really wish the best for you!

and:

Ok, this seams to be a unit, that was standing AT LEAST over a year at Kale's house...so one of the "older" Ks14c...as he had that stock since i started my EUC unit...february/march 2016...

i really wondered how the axle has broken so early...as in newer revisions this was -mostly- fixed....

Well, you say it's all really old stock, so maybe it's not the newer style. I'm approx 100 KG by the way, so on the heavier side. 

Yes, I've given them the dates and serial numbers and everything. Even a deal on a 14d motor and control board would be ok with me. The Unicycle was a big expenditure for me and now I am addicted, so I will be going through withdrawals while I either fix this one with a motor or save up for something else. :)

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

Yes, I've given them the dates and serial numbers and everything. Even a deal on a 14d motor and control board would be ok with me. The Unicycle was a big expenditure for me and now I am addicted, so I will be going through withdrawals while I either fix this one with a motor or save up for something else. :)

Sorry about your broken KS14C! Bummer!

Please keep us updated on purchasing a new motor and control board. My wife's new 14C went into the lake a few weeks back and it needs a new motor, control board and batteries. Jason believes it is beyond repair. I guess it really depends on the cost for the parts.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:05 AM, LanghamP said:

A minor note; all my wheels seem to drift out of adjustment the same way. They all eventually tilt forward (the front of the pedal gets gradually lower than the rear). I don't really notice or care about it until I find I cannot easily climb hills, and then I have to do the level adjustment. I don't know why wheels do that but many (most?) handling problems that I've had can be resolved by the level adjustment.

I'd suggest anyone getting a new wheel do the level adjustment right away before ever riding it.

I noticed that on my Ninebot, but the level adjustment doesn't help, it will say the level is at 0 degrees, but I turn the wheel around and the pedals are tilting up some.  So now I ride the wheel backwards as it is more comfortable.  At least until I can find something to set the wheel on that raises it off the ground so  I can do a manual calibration.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2017 at 5:50 PM, LanghamP said:

I believe Jason McNeil quoted me $150 for a new axel, but I don't know if that includes the motor or what not.

That can pretty well be the price for a new motor indeed.

On 08/06/2017 at 3:05 PM, LanghamP said:

A minor note; all my wheels seem to drift out of adjustment the same way. They all eventually tilt forward (the front of the pedal gets gradually lower than the rear). I don't really notice or care about it until I find I cannot easily climb hills, and then I have to do the level adjustment. I don't know why wheels do that but many (most?) handling problems that I've had can be resolved by the level adjustment.

I'd suggest anyone getting a new wheel do the level adjustment right away before ever riding it.

Interesting, I have a 20 month old KS-14C and it has never drifted out of adjustment enough for me to notice and, on the basis of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I have never done a level calibration on it. So, out of curiosity I've just checked it and it is, indeed 1.5 degrees forward. I guess that is not at all bad for nearly two years of use but I guess I'd better level it. I wonder if I've got so used to it that it will feel all wrong when I do.

By the way, no sign of axle problems (so far ?) I weigh 160lb (73Kg).

I have got a kingsong 14C 800 wh for 1 month now and i am absolutely loving it !!.

I always had a prejudice against 14 in wheels . I thought they were too small and unstable but this wheel changed my mind completely . The pedals have a good hight and i can do slalon and sharp turns with no problem at all . I was a bit scared in the begining but i am feeling progressively more confident on it . I am trying to be gentle in the bumps as i am 85 k now (lost 10k recently) due to the axel problem but apart fom that this wheel is very fun to ride and i an apreciating more the smaler size and weight of the 14 wheels.

I am enjoying riding it so much that i am actually  using it more than my msuper or acm on a daily basis when i want to do a small ride.

Archived