Last battery upgrade (for a friend) with 190Wh inside the shell

smallexis

Here is the last battery I have just composed, in order to add 190Wh to a 9B1, without visual impact from the outside :

image(379).png

It is no longer a surprise to see that there is ample room for cell storage, but not only that, because an ultra compact BMS can also find its place

image(380).png

And finally, looking for a bit, I found a BMS 15S (so no need to tweak from a 16S) which size is perfect to go into the compartment

image(381).png

Here again, the challenge is not so much to set up the cells in series, but to find how and where to pass all the balancing wires

image(382).png

And so the idea is to have them cross the motherboard compartment, just below it, to join the BMS on the other side.

image(383).png

Concretely, here is what it gives from the inside. There is still some wiring to connect but the hardest is done.

image(388).png

The wires that pass through the motherboard compartment are glued to the silicone, forming a protective envelope.

image(389).png

Of course this does not interfere in any way the installation of the motherboard nor its smooth operation because nothing touches.

image(385).png

It takes a small cut on each side (right and left) to allow the bumper to regain its place.

image(390).png

In the end there are just the charging wires which will pass in addition by the top of the bumper to connect the battery on the other side.

image(391).png

The inside face is completely waterproof (with silicone), the half shell took a small kilogram more with this battery upgrade.

Excellent job!  But a very permanent irreversible mod.  If anything fails with the wiring or a cell goes bad will you just throw away the whole shell with the batteries buried inside?

9 hours ago, SuperSport said:

That's pretty ingenious to fill with Silicone.  I would not have thought of that.  Good Job!

Thank you. I put not only silicone because I cut small plastic parts to have some coverage to close all the compartments

100_0888.JPG

And I finish the sealing with a last layer of silicone. Water is not welcome so you must strongly seal each compartment.

8 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

Excellent job!  But a very permanent irreversible mod.  If anything fails with the wiring or a cell goes bad will you just throw away the whole shell with the batteries buried inside?

Yes no other choice than make it permanent in this upgrade. But the BMS compartment is not full glued and it's not very difficult to remove the plastic cover. In the case of a problem, it's possible to make measurement to the wires arriving at BMS to detect which cell(s) is (are) damaged. So you can located the compartiment you have to open even if this step is not easy but not impossible. I have made my first upgrade in both shells (I have had 375Wh, please follow the link look at my solution to add a 375Wh battery inside my 9B1E shell in order to have a total capacity of 750Wh) a year ago and everything is working well until this day after more than 1000 km traveled.

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@smallexis Awesome mods!! Please post more photos when you finish!

thank you but I have no more picture and I can't take anymore because this shell is use by my friend @cbgti for 2 weeks.

@smallexis The more I study your superb modifications the more intrigue I become. Your conceptual, analytical and technical skills should be applauded! :cheers: 

Idea:  An great topic titled 'Really Interesting Interview' posted by @codersarepeople, the owner of Grin Technologies encapsulates his cells in fiberglass to form custom packs. My thoughts are if you fabricated custom packs for the NB1 you could then sparingly silicone or even use double faced tape to secure the packs inside the shell for ease of removal in the event a cell does go bad. Just a thought.:)

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@smallexis you are a sheer genius.  :smartass:  Plain and simple.  Where did you get the 15S BMS?  Got a link?

thx, you can find this BMS on aliexpress : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/15S-25A-48V-lipo-lithium-Polymer-BMS-PCM-PCB-battery-protection-board-for-15-Packs-18650/32780544801.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.2QjPUa

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@smallexis The more I study your superb modifications the more intrigue I become. Your conceptual, analytical and technical skills should be applauded! :cheers: 

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

My thoughts are if you fabricated custom packs for the NB1 you could then sparingly silicone or even use double faced tape to secure the packs inside the shell for ease of removal in the event a cell does go bad.

Nice link and it's very interesting for a future project

Many thanks. Maybe it's not perfect but it's works very well and it was my goal.

• 1 month later...

i also have a doubt about the using of the 15s balancer..... do you only use the balancer to charge the full pack, or you continue to use a xt60/xt90 connector with 63v ?

i don't understand if you have to connect BOTH cables... the 63v one ( at the 2 sides of the circuit) , PLUS the 16 balancing cables... 

because i've also seen someone who charge lipo packs only with the balancing connector

2 hours ago, alex87 said:

hi nice work, could you see my thread?

thank you

there is a big difference between 9B1 16" and 9B1 14" concerning the battery and especially the BMS.

Now, for 9B1 14" and Segway Mini (or NINEBOT MINI PRO or MINI XIAOMI), inside the battery's BMS there is an electronic component that allow the motherboard to recognize the battery. If you make your own DIY battery with a standard BMS, the motherboard will not recognize it and its use could be reduce.

With 9B1 S2, if only one battery is connected (or recognized) the max speed would be 2 kph lower than with 2 batteries connected.

So it's impossible to do same thing as I have done for my 9B1 E because of new secure BMS (with its own FW)

3 hours ago, alex87 said:

i also have a doubt about the using of the 15s balancer..... do you only use the balancer to charge the full pack, or you continue to use a xt60/xt90 connector with 63v ?

5969189267462_slimBMSschemabis.JPG.dd4d8e298827b7e873060982b2b0a3a6.JPG

This is how the BMS's seller advise me to connect cells to the BMS.

Archived