HEELLLP!!?

jayfella1

hey guys...so ive been following up on EUCs for a while now and ive decided to get one....theyre the coolest things ever! but im totally confused on which one to get. I have a few parameters though.  its gotta be a 14 inch wheel before i make my way up.      Ive been looking at the GOTWAY MCM4 340WH, KS 14C 340WH, GOTWAY MCM V3 260WH. (with 12 mosfets).   im quite a skinny male weighing 56kg so im not looking for big batteries just yet.  for usage...i will ride probably 10 miles. i believe i will catch up real quick and i see myself speeding once i get the hang of it. so at least, 30km/h.   ive considered the inmotion v5f but i dont think i want it.     The ks14d is nice but im not happy with the firmware that reduces the speed when the battery reaches 50percent.    SO PLEASE HELP ME GUYS...WHICH OF THE 3 ABOVE SHOULD I GO FOR.(my budget is just enough).

@jayfella1, can you firstly explain why "it has to be a 14" wheel"?. As your statement "before I make my way up" seems to suggest you think 14" is a starter wheel and you progress to something larger. That absolutely isn't the case. Since 14" wheels feel every bump, etc. And don't have the gyroscopic inertia of a larger wheel they are no better to learn on than a larger wheel. 14" wheels are about being transportable and manoeuvrable I.e. You would choose 14" if you are going to be carrying the wheel on public transport, drive in city streets where there are lots of pedestrians, etc. For general use on and off road and when learning to ride a 16" wheel is considered the optimum size.

We have had a number of newbies recently wanting speed which is fine as far as it goes, but speed is only any good to you on open trails where 16" or 18" wheels are best. it doesn't matter how fast the wheel is in built up areas, you aren't (or certainly shouldn't be) averaging more than 10MPH in a built up area as you will not be able to stop in time if (say) someone walks out of a shop in front of you.

Finally speed requires "a big battery" the larger battery sizes on fast wheels are as much about supplying the power needed for speed as it is about range. Kingsong are keen on safety so there is a very good reason Kingsong reduce top speed below 50% battery, get one with a battery capable of at least 20 miles and it won't be a problem to you.

You will notice in my signature that I've got the KS-14C, in fact it is the early one limited to a top speed of 15MPH and worst sees low battery as 55 volts, so rather than just lower top speed at 50% it goes into crawl home mode. I bought this wheel because I do carry it on public transport and use it for the last mile, had the Inmotion V5F been out at the time I would probably have got that. Do I find it too slow after riding it for 18 months? Yes, but only when I take on trails and open roads, in town it's speed and acceleration are absolutely fine. So my next purchase will be a 16" wheel for use on longer distance open trail rides and I'd probably chose the Inmotion V8 or KS16S

For the 14d:

ask the seller if it is on Firmware 1.00, 1.01 or 1.02....

if 1.00 (like from factory) it is without any speed reduction....

and the best 14inch I know at the time from driving and handling...

Thanks...I do understand the necessities and safety of a big battery and larger tyre and getting it right the first time but I'm also on a budget. These are techs I've never tried before and frankly...I don't see myself using this as a daily commute tool. Perhaps just for sight seeing and the pleasure of riding. So I'm looking for something simple. The 3 wheels I mentioned, (mcm4, mcm3 and ks14 c) are all perfect for my requirements. I just need the guidance of the euc big dogs on which to go for and why. I saw on youtube the review of the mcm3 by electro-sport...   that thing topped out at 43km/h(app speed) under 75kg load. Amazing for just a 260wh battery,    dion oliver's mcm4 ride was damn fast too..it was a 340wh. I understand road conditions and other factors influence performance but I really wanna keep it simple

4 hours ago, jayfella1 said:

ive considered the inmotion v5f but i dont think i want it

Any particular reason you don't like the v5f?  If you hadn't said this, it would have been my recommendation. We've had great luck with ours.

I have owned both 14" and 16" wheels including 2 NB1s and currently own the  Inmotion V8 and V5F+, a Gotway ACM and now the KS14C ( actually my wife's wheel). ;) Oh yes how can I forget my Luffy!  :facepalm: For the cost I really like the KS14C and the pedal design is awesome. 

When I first started learning to ride all of the wheels except the KS 14C have a non skid sandpaper type grip on the pedals. My feet would always slide especially when performing tight turns. The KS14C pedals have deep machined grooves.  In my opinion this is a great feature that I wish all manufacturers would incorporate as this type of grip will never wear out. 

For a good starter 14" wheel the V5F+ is my favorite but the Kingsong 14C is now a close second.  

As for 16" wheels you cannot beat the NB1 E+. They are very reliable and reasonably priced! The V8 and ACM cost more but are terrific wheels as well.

Confused?:confused1: Welcome to the world of EUCs.  :P

Not much to add to what the other people said, but to add a little:

• Wheels limiting themselves (for example on low battery %)  is an essential safety feature. With EUCs there are absolutely no natural warning signs before you overstress the wheel and inevitably crash. All safety is necessarily preventative. So this feature is a big positive, not a negative!
  • For speeds >30 km/h you most likely need a bigger wheel. Existing 14 inch wheels aren't that fast and the smaller tire will make it harder at high speeds. I'd say (very roughly) that 14 inch = around 25 km/h natural speed, 16 inch have 30 to 35, 18 inch have 35 natural speed before it feels really unsafe riding them at that speed.
  • Given your budget constraints, your 3 choices are really good. But they aren't really made for >30 km/h speeds. If that's what you want, I recommend a 680 Wh ACM (16 inch) or msuper V3 (18 inch). Possibly used, people are upgrading to bigger batteries and here might be some available. Maybe also a cheap KS18 if you can get one. Possibly a Rockwheel GT16 via Aliexpress from China.
  • But really, don't expect too much speed from EUCs, especially only 14 inch. Maybe the numbers sound low to you, but EUCs feel much faster than the same speed in a car or so. 30 km/h is already really fast for any EUC.

I'd go for the KS14C or MCM4 from your 3 choices if these are the only ones. Otherwise, 14D is probably the best 14 incher at the moment. But I think 16 or 18 is better for you if you can. You can research which speed limits/tiltback speeds are fixed and cannot be disabled, which can, etc. for all models and maybe that helps you.

Thank you so much guys...so glad there is a forum like this.   The inmotion v5f is well refined..top notch product but the real crusing speed will be around 22km/h because of the tiltback at 25km/h.   I do get that 14inch wheels may not be the best for high speed but there are quite a few that has proven themselves worthy. I'm leaning towards the mcm4 340wh.   Anyone with previous experience of this wheel?

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

As for 16" wheels you cannot beat the NB1 E+. They are very reliable and reasonably priced!

I would exchange 10 NB1 E+ for a Kingsong KS16B, or 20 for a KS16S. Without hesitating a second. :)

The NB1 is a first generation wheel, not to compare with an Inmotion V8 or a Kingsong KS16.

46 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

I would exchange 10 NB1 E+ for a Kingsong KS16B, or 20 for a KS16S. Without hesitating a second. :)

The NB1 is a first generation wheel, not to compare with an Inmotion V8 or a Kingsong KS16.

Yes I totally agree ( well maybe not 10 or 20) but I was taking into consideration the price of 16" wheels and the cost NBs are selling for these days. 

I'm leaning towards the mcm4 340wh.   Anyone with previous experience of this wheel?

@Pingouin is a quite light rider and has one (and a lot of experience with other wheels). Maybe he can chime in on your ideas. For pure "how fast can this thing go" the MCM4 will probably be just #2 behind the 14D, so good choice of yours.

Thank you so much guys...so glad there is a forum like this.   The inmotion v5f is well refined..top notch product but the real crusing speed will be around 22km/h because of the tiltback at 25km/h.   I do get that 14inch wheels may not be the best for high speed but there are quite a few that has proven themselves worthy. I'm leaning towards the mcm4 340wh.   Anyone with previous experience of this wheel?

I have an MCM4 HS. 

Its great and fast. I can go 30pkh on flat with full battery. 

I have the 680wh model. You need to understand that saying "i don't like the speed is limited when battery is below 60%" is just crazy!

the speed has to go down because of the physics of electrical motors.  The top speed was designed with full battery. As battery voltage goes down the speed has to go down. The motor back-emf voltage will overpass the battery voltage causing a shutdown.

so be careful and understand your machine. 

Hi,

I currently ride an MCM3 340Wh & an MCM4 V2 680Wh, I weight just a little more than you do, the MCM3 can go up to 28kph (real speed) when fully charged, and about 25kph under 50% battery, then under 20% it gets really slow. The MCM4 HS can keep up the 28kph speed until it's about 20-30%. BUT on thing to consider, is thant with the MCM4 you can't put a tilt back above 24kph, so to be able to ride 28kph you'll rely only on the final alarm.

Unfortunately, in the "14" category, there isn't anything capable of riding 30kph safely, I have hopes for the newer 84V of the MCM4 coming out, that should give us 35kph safe speed. The best you can get right now is the MCM4 HS 340Wh or MCM3 340Wh imo. I can't judge the KS14D, it has a top speed of 30kph in theory (while the MCM4 has a top speed of 32kph in theory) so I guess it's slower than the MCM4 but that's just guessing. If you can get the MCM3 680Wh, it could be a good choice because your 28kph speed could be sustained for a much longer period.

Too bad you can't afford one, because for your needs I would suggest the GT16, KS16S or ACM, they would give you all the speed and power.

3 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Unfortunately, in the "14" category, there isn't anything capable of riding 30kph safely

Too bad you can't afford one, because for your needs I would suggest the GT16, KS16S or ACM, they would give you all the speed and power.

My view entirely, the recipe of 14" wheel, very small lithium Ion battery, 30kph speed, no tilt back, very inexperienced rider and just a tiny little, hard to even spot, pot hole is just a disaster waiting to happen. One thing for sure is that the urge to go fast gets curtailed for months after a good fast faceplant!

KS-14 would be the safest, of the fast 14" cheap end bunch IMHO.

8 minutes ago, Keith said:

My view entirely, the recipe of 14" wheel, very small lithium Ion battery, 30kph speed, no tilt back, very inexperienced rider and just a tiny little, hard to even spot, pot hole is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Yep, bigger tire means you can go faster simply concerning ride smoothness and possible bumps/obstacles. It's not just how fast a wheel can go, but also the tire geometry that limits reasonable speeds.

Archived