Okay okay maybe the title is thread click-bait so sue me.  Youtubers do it all the time for the hits so it's all legit.  Like and subscribe boys, like and subscribe!

I had a chance to grab some Carl's Jr. drive through take-out a few days ago for the first time, and wow the stories ARE real!  :blink:  I ordered a guacamole bacon thickburger combo, and holy mackeral it was YUGE!  So big so big!  :dribble:  Not a good choice trying to eat while driving as the guac oozes out... but I'm a pro in that department so no worries.

The fries weren't as good, but they were equally large proportioned.  I am fighting a nasty cold so maybe that turned me off the fries a bit.  The drink was also jumbo sized.  It was like a Super Big Gulp from 7-Eleven!  AKA diabetes in a cup!  It took me two days to finish that off.  I used to be (and still am) an A&W fanboy, but this Carl's Jr. has got a hold of me.   Good thing there is only one in the city so far or else I'd be like 200 pounds in no time!  (No offense intended to our heavier weight riders out there, lookin' at you @The Fat Unicyclist :efee8319ab:).

I also recently changed out my front brake pads and rotors with nice Raybestos ones!  For the first time EVER!!!  Youtube University to the rescue!  I did try doing the rear brakes on my other car, but dammit I could not get the caliper bolts out.  They were seized to all tarnation.  I used PB Blaster, let it soak, but they wouldn't budge.  Anyone here have any tips on loosening caliper bolts?  I think I might need a swivel head breaker bar as I can't get good access.  Maybe a propane torch would help too?  I think I may have rounded the bolts slightly.  Anyone here recommend a better socket set?  I've been searching online for all sorts of tips and videos....

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/know-notes-removing-rounded-bolts/

I might give it another go, but I feel so defeated at the moment... :efee8c29ce:, but this photo brings me some happiness! (Might have over done it a little on the copper anti-seize on the outsides of the pads...)

UeObdAv.jpg

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

You north Americans are so cute... With your fast foods and super-sized everything...

But you haven't lived until you've had Pineapple Lumps! You honestly can't even comprehend the void in your lives that only a Pineapple Lump can fill. 

• Upvote 3

Gonna have to Google a way to get me some now!  :dribble:  Ever have brown sugar BBQ roasted pineapple?  That is pure heaven!  I had some at the local Brazilian grill restaurant here, and it is amazing!  Didn't you also mention a speciality soda found only in NZ?  What was that called again?

Edit: Whadayaknow?  There is a store for all product NZ!  I also found some on Amazon.ca, but $17 a bag is a little pricey!  Gulp!  :eff04a58a6:

https://productsfromnz.com/1710+New+Zealand+Pineapple+Lumps+140g

Was it L&P?

https://productsfromnz.com/5161+Soft+Drinks++Fizzy+Drinks

Yeeks $64 USD shipping to Canada?  Amazon might be a better choice... $27 for only the candies (5+1 deal).... $10 a bag.... hmm tempting....

• Upvote 1

Yes @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, it was L&P.

As for the pineapple lumps... over here they are only $2-3 for a bag. Perhaps I should be bringing a suitcase full over to sell on the black market? 

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I ordered a guacamole bacon thickburger combo, and holy mackeral it was YUGE!  So big so big!  :dribble:  

Trump would use the term HUGE!:thumbup:

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I could not get the caliper bolts out.  They were seized to all tarnation.  I used PB Blaster, let it soak, but they wouldn't budge.  Anyone here have any tips on loosening caliper bolts? 

Keep soaking with the PB blaster but you also need a increase the heat.  :furious:  A propane torch will not be enough. You need an oxygen acetylene torch so you can get the bolt red hot. The caliper is going to act like a 'huge' heat sink and absorb most of your heat away from the bolt.

Do you have a pneumatic gun or hand impact driver! Either one should work to loosen the bolt. If you stripped the head of the bolt and it is SAE size try a metric socket or visa versa. You will need to pound the socket onto the head essentially creating  your own custom fit!

If all else fails bring it to my garage!:)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Trump would use the term HUGE!:thumbup:

Keep soaking with the PB blaster but you also need a increase the heat.  :furious:  A propane torch will not be enough. You need an oxygen acetylene torch so you can get the bolt red hot. The caliper is going to act like a 'huge' heat sink and absorb most of your heat away from the bolt.

Do you have a pneumatic gun or hand impact driver! Either one should work to loosen the bolt. If you stripped the head of the bolt and it is SAE size try a metric socket or visa versa. You will need to pound the socket onto the head essentially creating  your own custom fit!

If all else fails bring it to my garage!:)

Thanks for the tips!  I do have an electric impact gun that I use to remove the tire lugnuts, but there's no way to get access to the caliper bolts with the gun that I can see.  I was looking at some of those impact sockets with the ball joint in them for harder to reach areas, but it's pretty tight even with those I'm thinking.  I was thinking that they likely used Loctite on the bolt as the front calipers had a bunch all over them.  Maybe with the torch it would soften the Loctite enough.

Are the smaller pneumatic ratchet ones any good?  I do have a good air compressor.  I've also seen these special sockets which reduce the chances of rounding off bolts.  Ugh, for all the stuff I'd need to buy, I might just get the shop to do it as I probably won't need to use all the extra stuff that often.  I can imagine buying all the extra tools and then busting the head off the bolt.  That would be bad.  I noticed I had mostly SAE tools so I bought metric ones, but I still ended up with slightly rounded bolts.  :crying: Oh well, we'll see... if I ever do get them off I think some anti-seize on the bolts might be the way to go.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Are the smaller pneumatic ratchet ones any good?  I do have a good air compressor

My ratchet is 1/2". I have never tried anything smaller. 

49 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ugh, for all the stuff I'd need to buy, I might just get the shop to do it as I probably won't need to use all the extra stuff that often.  I can imagine buying all the extra tools and then busting the head off the bolt.  That would be bad.  I noticed I had mostly SAE tools so I bought metric ones, but I still ended up with slightly rounded bolts.  :crying: 

It might be prudent to have a brake shop complete the task. You might get a call from the mechanic asking " Who the hell rounded the bolt heads!":facepalm:

• Upvote 2

Okay I have a few packages of Pineapple Lumps hopefully coming my way.  At about $10 per bag (NZ dollar is worth slightly less than CAD), I hope they live up to the expectations presented of them!  :dribble: I tried to get a bottle of L&P, but that skyrocketed the shipping costs way too high so I had to remove it from my cart.  I have had some really bad tasting lemon cola bubble gum that tasted like floor cleaner (or more exactly what I would have imagine lemon floor cleaner would taste like).  I wonder if L&P is like lemon cola?  Cherry Cola is quite good, but now it's only available in the US I think.

I did manage to try Tim Tams a while back after a female friend of the UK mentioned them to me.  They were quite good and available locally.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Okay I have a few packages of Pineapple Lumps hopefully coming my way.  At about $10 per bag (NZ dollar is worth slightly less than CAD), I hope they live up to the expectations presented of them!  :dribble: I tried to get a bottle of L&P, but that skyrocketed the shipping costs way too high so I had to remove to from my cart.

I did manage to try Tim Tams a while back after a female friend of the UK mentioned them to me.  They were quite good and available locally.

The best bit (that I deliberately didn't mention) is that within a pack they can range from brittle through to chewy. So there's something for everyone. 

And they're also great straight out of the freezer! 

• Upvote 3

:w00t2::dribble:  I hope they don't arrive all melted into one messy gooey mass as they are being shipping all the way from NZ.  I have had chocolate covered macadamian nuts shipped from Hawaii, and they arrived in good shape so I'm hoping they will be okay.  I'll have to keep an eye out for a cheaper source of L&P to try out.

What's a good Canadian snack to try?  Have you ever bought some of those maple cookies from the airport stores while visiting Canada?  I've seen people grab bunches of boxes to take home with them.  They are pretty good - kinda on the sweet maplely side.  Poutine is a also excellent, but it depends on where you get it.

• Upvote 1

Well I successfully changed out my thermostat tonight, and I realized that I am woefully lacking certain tools!  On one of the bolts the threads extended up past the bolt to act as a mounting point for a wire harness clip.  That made the bolt difficult to undo.  The first bolt was 10 mm, but this other one was a weird size and only a certain 3/8 socket would fit properly.  My other 3/8 sockets didn't work.  I was able to get my impact wrench on it which helped immensely.

The old t-stat didn't look that bad, but my car took forever to warm up throwing a CEL plus it lacked some heat in the winter.  After the repair, warming it up, topping up the Dexcool, and bleeding any air bubbles, the car reached proper temperature a lot faster.  In hindsight I should have put a tray under the car as it leaked a fair bit of anti-freeze when I took the t-stat out.  They didn't show that in the Youtube videos!

I definitely should invest in a complete tool set if I plan on doing more repairs.  A deep drive socket set would have come in so handy.  The problem is I'd probably have to buy both deep drive SAE and Metric sets as there are some wonky sized bolts.  I also noticed that a set of metric crescent wrenches I bought didn't include a 9 mm.  :rolleyes:  

In any case job done.  I'll double check the coolant level tomorrow and look for any leaks.  I kinda like these small mechanic jobbies.  I just wished I had a more complete set of tools though.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Well I successfully changed out my thermostat tonight, and I realized that I am woefully lacking certain tools!  On one of the bolts the threads extended up past the bolt to act as a mounting point for a wire harness clip.  That made the bolt difficult to undo.  The first bolt was 10 mm, but this other one was a weird size and only a certain 3/8 socket would fit properly.  My other 3/8 sockets didn't work.  I was able to get my impact wrench on it which helped immensely.

Congrats! Interesting that the bolts are both SAE and metric.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

In hindsight I should have put a tray under the car as it leaked a fair bit of anti-freeze when I took the t-stat out.  They didn't show that in the Youtube videos!

Forget the tray! Just perform any fluid tasks on your neighbor's driveway.:) I have a large tray that I bought on Amazon. I have an old 1995 Jeep Cherokee that I just replaced the rusted transmission lines on.  What a mess but the tray did capture all of the fluids. Any fluids that missed the tray from run off are covered with an absorbent litter type material and then swept up.

• Upvote 2

On 6/1/2017 at 0:17 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

holy mackeral it was YUGE!  So big so big!  :dribble:  Not a good choice trying to eat while driving as the guac oozes out... but I'm a pro in that department so no worries.

Just be sure it doesn't get in @Marty Backe MBB (Marty BrokeBacke)'s "Trump Hair"! :D I'm sorry.;) I know it's not P.C. but I just couldn't resist. By the way,here in Ca. the guac is no.8 on the menu.Is it the same thing in Canada?

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jrkline said:

Just be sure it doesn't get in @Marty Backe MBB (Marty BrokeBacke)'s "Trump Hair"! :D I'm sorry.;) I know it's not P.C. but I just couldn't resist.

I am beginning to feel sad for @Marty Backe:( ....Only kidding!!:laughbounce2:

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure whether we have the Carl's Jr. burgers numbered up here.  I went through the drive-through and just picked one that looked pretty good on the picture.  It was difficult to choose since there were quite a few to select from!  In hindsight I should have ate in as it was more a two handed job.  I have to remember not to order the large sizing next time!  I couldn't even touch the fries - after the burger I was full.  Here's a photo from an Edmonton store:

348s.jpg

With my car, the first bolt was 10 mm, but the second was smaller.  I tried a 9 mm, but I don't think it was deep enough to reach down.  I had a 3/8" impact socket on a small extension which was the only one that worked, but getting my electric impact wrench close enough was a bugger.  I might have to look at getting some more extensions, deeper sockets, and other tools as without the correct one it makes a small job into a much more difficult procedure.

Carl's Jr. should open up a store up in those mountains as I'm sure it would have come in handy!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I tried a 9 mm,

Nine mm is one of those weird sizes that you hardly ever need one. Like 7mm. It's almost  funny how most socket sets seem to skip certain sizes, until you find that you really do need that size.  If you do need an uncommon size, it's less expensive to buy the individual socket at a car parts store.  I had to use a 6.5 mm socket a few times, that kind of p'd me off  a little, like, why?  But then again, it's also fun trying to get different sets of tools so that you have what you need when you need it.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 2

I had to get a set of triple square drive sockets just to get to the battery under the seat on my VW Touareg V10.

Unfortunately I couldn't find them sold individually anywhere but I did find I needed two other sizes in other parts of the car.

Why oh why can't these manufacturers stick to standard fixings???

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I had to get a set of triple square drive sockets just to get to the battery under the seat on my VW Touareg V10.

Unfortunately I couldn't find them sold individually anywhere but I did find I needed two other sizes in other parts of the car.

Why oh why can't these manufacturers stick to standard fixings???

Never even heard of triple square drive until now.  Had to Wikipedia it.  it's amazing how many different types of drives are in use.  It seems the main purpose is to prevent people from removing them with common tools.  I guess repair work is a big part of the economy, and people are forced to pay shops to fix even minor things, like changing a battery  But that might be a good antitheft solution.  Apparently, public restrooms use special fasteners to prevent vandalism..  ( I can't really imagine anyone would steal a urinal or toilet )  What next, you can't even put air in your tires, but have to pay someone with a special adapter to put air?:angry:

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1

Bought a few tools and went for a roll on the ol' Ninebot, now feeling better.  :w00t2:

Got me a smaller torque wrench, some breaker bars, adapter sockets, and universal joint socket adapters.  That hopefully should help!  Now I just need to find a spot to store them for handy access!

266752_image.jpg

619796_image.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Bought a few tools and went for a roll on the ol' Ninebot, now feeling better.  :w00t2:

Got me a smaller torque wrench, some breaker bars, adapter sockets, and universal joint socket adapters.  That hopefully should help!  Now I just need to find a spot to store them for handy access!

266752_image.jpg

619796_image.jpg

More importantly... Do you have any pineapple lumps? 

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

266752_image.jpg

619796_image.jpg

Awesome! There are inexpensive tool boxes with drawers out there for storage. https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Tools-Consumer-Storage-STST19502/dp/B00R7QV07W/ref=sr_1_25?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1496918227&sr=1-25&keywords=Tool+box

The universal joint in the second photo looks like erectile dysfunction!  :P

• Upvote 1