Custom Engine Sound Fun with the KS14C

Marty Backe

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Awesome video, really shows the loudness of the Kingsong speakers and the ability to play any sound you want through them.  You're  right, Kingsong rules in the speaker department.  Forget what I suggested about a stand alone device for making motor sounds making you millions.  Just get a Kingsong wheel and a smartphone.:)  And, not only did the video play the different sounds, but I could still hear that Kingsong/Gotway motor noise that I like, so it was like one sound layered over another one.:thumbup:

41 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

Neat, but I'd prefer the silent ride, plus this is just a way to piss people off, lol.

I had is cranked a bit higher than normal. I can see it pissing people off if I'm doing circles around them. In reality I'm zipping by people so they only hear the sound for 10 seconds, fading in and out.

I'm not doing this in a nature reserve. This is for when I'm riding in the cement jungle of our modern cities. It's seriously not the most bothersome thing around.

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I had is cranked a bit higher than normal. I can see it pissing people off if I'm doing circles around them. In reality I'm zipping by people so they only hear the sound for 10 seconds, fading in and out.

I'm not doing this in a nature reserve. This is for when I'm riding in the cement jungle of our modern cities. It's seriously not the most bothersome thing around.

For urban riding, this would be ideal... I get so sick of slowing down for aimless pedestrians and asking them to excuse me, please!

I've been meaning to get a run bell, but this would be so much more practical. Personally though, I would go with the Jetsons "bubbling."

I really like the quietness of the EUC.  But in truth, downtown where there are bunches of people looking down at cellphones and strolling 4 abreast, some non-annoying noise would be helpful.  Better than having to ding a bell, or say "on your left" or just startling people.

I was thinking that the clicking of a bicycle freewheel (the clicking sound when coasting) would be an appropriate sound - makes people think of a bike slowing behind them.

3 minutes ago, JimB said:

I was thinking that the clicking of a bicycle freewheel (the clicking sound when coasting) would be an appropriate sound - makes people think of a bike slowing behind them.

I like that idea...

https://www.freesound.org/people/SpliceSound/sounds/218302/

1 hour ago, JimB said:

I really like the quietness of the EUC.  But in truth, downtown where there are bunches of people looking down at cellphones and strolling 4 abreast, some non-annoying noise would be helpful.  Better than having to ding a bell, or say "on your left" or just startling people.

Yeah, that's a good idea for a sound.

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks for the sound file. I'm going to give that what a try.

You've bumped it up a coolness notch, Marty!  :thumbup:  I was hoping to see you ride by some kids/people and film their reactions to the sound as you roll by.  That would be like adding EUC coolness + Unexpected Sound Effect Wow Factor to get = Mind Blowing Jaw Droping Reactions.  :blink:

I wished the Pebble watch could activate a horn button that played the Lost In Space Danger file over the wuh wuh wuh drone if you ran into pedestrians blocking the way!  :w00t2:

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wished the Pebble watch could activate a horn button that played the Lost In Space Danger file over the wuh wuh wuh drone if you ran into pedestrians blocking the way!  :w00t2:

These little sound devices used in greeting cards allow you to record up to a 30 second message or sound. If you ever opened up one of these obnoxious cards you know how loud they are! :w00t2:https://goo.gl/6fOkEc

The activation switch could be mounted onto your EUC shin pad so when you squeeze the switch the sound turns on. 

If you are trying to alert just pedestrians when you pass by I would not record any longer than a few seconds. If you want to alert the entire neighborhood like @Marty Backe record the entire 30 seconds!:laughbounce2:

That's a brilliant idea @Rehab1!  For those without built-in speakers, this might be the perfect way to add some sound effects or have a different king of run bell.  I wonder if the speaker output could be connected to a small 9V sound amp and a larger speaker?  Wow 30 pieces delivered for under $4?  How the heck do they fit any profit into that?

Edit:  oh I think that auction might be a typo as others are selling 30 sec units for similar pricing?

Here's an interesting one based on the ISD1820.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-Recording-Voice-Module-Board-With-Microphone-To-Send-0-5W-Speaker-ISD1820-/302267637931

On 6/2/2017 at 7:00 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

For urban riding, this would be ideal... I get so sick of slowing down for aimless pedestrians and asking them to excuse me, please!

I've been meaning to get a run bell, but this would be so much more practical. Personally though, I would go with the Jetsons "bubbling."

Maybe I should do the same with my car. I want to ride my car on the side walk and get rid of pedestrian. 

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

the side walk are for pedestrians. 

Nice experiment! The KS wheels are indeed predestined for that.

I've come to the conclusion that a professional/better EUC would have little motor sound (like the Ninebots and Inmotions) and certainly not the high pitched whine, but in order to not sound too boring (like the Ninebots and Inmotions) it should have a choice of professionally made (sound designer) optional custom motor sounds.

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if the speaker output could be connected to a small 9V sound amp and a larger speaker?  Wow 30 pieces delivered for under $4?  How the heck do they fit any profit into that?

I am sure that would work. More Power kind guy? Yes I thought the same thing but it must be per unit.

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

A whooping $2.25 plus $2.00 shipping. Would be a fun experiment at that cost!

47 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Maybe I should do the same with my car. I want to ride my car on the side walk and get rid of pedestrian. 

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

the side walk are for pedestrians. 

In New Zealand it is illegal for me to ride on the road, so the sidewalk is the only option. 

Believe me, I would much rather ride on the road - so much smoother, with less issues - but that is how it is here. 

38 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

In New Zealand it is illegal for me to ride on the road, so the sidewalk is the only option. 

Believe me, I would much rather ride on the road - so much smoother, with less issues - but that is how it is here. 

New Zealand strikes me as such a low density place to live I'me surprised you guys don't have more freedoms to do what you want. Do you have access to lots of trails that you can ride?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

New Zealand strikes me as such a low density place to live I'me surprised you guys don't have more freedoms to do what you want. Do you have access to lots of trails that you can ride?

Hey Marty. 

EUC are a "grey area" in New Zealand, and not  (yet) legal to ride on the road - but we're working on it...

There are a bunch of options for off-roading here, but with my current wheel (IPS-191) and weighing in at ~250lb limits me somewhat. The fact that Wellington is extremely hilly doesn't help either...

Actually, I'm thinking of an upgrade to either an MSuper or maybe even the Monster - the larger batteries combined with a more powerful motor might be just what I need. 

39 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hey Marty. 

EUC are a "grey area" in New Zealand, and not  (yet) legal to ride on the road - but we're working on it...

There are a bunch of options for off-roading here, but with my current wheel (IPS-191) and weighing in at ~250lb limits me somewhat. The fact that Wellington is extremely hilly doesn't help either...

Actually, I'm thinking of an upgrade to either an MSuper or maybe even the Monster - the larger batteries combined with a more powerful motor might be just what I need. 

I know that it's probably just a stereotype, but what I see in the movies of New Zealand, looks like you have beautiful landscapes there. Moving to either of those wheels will be a huge step up. @HeavyGoing just started riding an MSuper and he's in your weight range so you should be good with whichever wheel you pick. The MSuper would less of a shock to you though ;)

And I can tell you the MSuper moves me around with ease and comfort.   I have not ventured to any of the more serious hills in the neighborhood yet.  I will let you know how that goes.

The only problem I have found so far is that it is so much fun I don't want to get off it!  (oh yeah, and I am still nervous about big bumps in the road/sidewalk)

250 lbs on serious hills. 

I did my first ride testing out the hills in my neighborhood.  I decided I would ride down to the local mall, have a smoothy, get a haircut.  Since I live at the top of a canyon, it was all down hill for the journey to the mall.  Felt good to be able to control the speed.  Made it over the small bumps in the sidewalk and road and was even able to go over the speed bumps in the mall.   I was feeling pretty good about being able to mount without a rail or lamp post even if it was sometimes with my arms flailing around like a windmill. 

On the return trip, I am cruising at about 9 miles an hour up a hill that emaciated bicyclist in spandex usually are pushing their bikes up.  Just a bit over a week into the sport and I am feeling like I am all that and a bag of chips.   I make a turn into the neighborhood and I am faced with a decision.  Do I take the long route or do I attack the big hill?

Thinking to myself.  No guts, no glory.   I make a left turn. 

Now as it turns out this was the suburban equivalent of the hillbilly  -  "Hey Earl,  watch this."  

I am going up the hill.   Leaning, not really sure if I should be able to get more speed or not.  Leaning a bit more..   I start to wonder is I should not be going from side to side or something when........

Thwack.  The wheel stops and I don't.  Of course, I was going so slow that I was able to land on my hands. Just scratches, not even blood.  (To add insult to injury, when I got home the wrist guards, I ordered from Amazon were waiting for me in a box at the door.)

But now my poor MSuper seems to have a problem.  When I turn it on it makes a kind of grinding noise and it bucks back and forth.  Everything is smooth if I wheel it around without power but once I power up it kinda bucks back and forth like a bronco.   I had to push it up the rest of the hill and back home.   Now whenever I turn it on it makes this noise and bucks.    It was not a particularly hard fall so I am wondering if there is some kind of reset I might try.  I am going to try going through the calibration to see if that helps.

Did the wheel switch off entirely?

So the tire is not "locked" (much harder to turn than usual, whether the wheel is on or off)?

No warning beeps, just bucking, when you switch on?

I guess the game is now to open the side panel (right side = valve side = board side) and have a look. I would not switch on/rotate the tire too much before that.

Also maybe new thread in GW forum, nobody is going to see it here.

Archived