Solowheel Classic, 4+ years

wheeler

4 hours ago, wheeler said:

In 2013, I purchased a solowheel classic.  It was expensive, but worth it because I'm still using it.  That makes 4 years of use.

I never did change the battery, so the battery has degraded--about a quarter of the capacity, so I only use it as a backup wheel now.

But for the first 3 years, I used it daily to commute about 2 to 8 miles, over hills and through rain.  As far as it's durability,

the case still has no cracks, even after tumbling a few times on hard concrete.  Nothing on it is rusty, including all the little screws,

and where I live, everything rusts, due to a tropical salty climate. The rubber pad is still in good shape.  I do like the slime design

because I feel like my foot is closer to the center of gravity which helps with control.

It has not cutout once and I have not seen or heard of any cases where a solowheel has cutout.

I think the safety measures built into the unit are quite good--that's the most important thing for me.

I find these long term reviews very useful. Although I wouldn't be interested in a Solowheel it's good to know that it's such a robust design and the batteries are still providing rideable energy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

yes low energy density, but the 70 amp CDR, at only 52 volts, and very low resistance, which means it can charge quickly, in less than an hour.  I'd rather have a battery that has low voltage and low resistance.  low resistance has a lot of other benefits.  it stays cool, which means it lasts longer.  also, sustains constant current, so you can climb hills easily without needing high voltage.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Because I don't ride very long range, I don't mind the short range in return for the other benefits of LiFePO4.  The RS Resolute has a battery that uses this chemistry.  It's available from AlienRides. Begode RS Resolute Electric Unicycle – Alien Rides  I hope that there are more wheels that offer a LiFePO4 option in the future.

• 1 year later...

Not all LiFePO4 are the same.  The 2013 Inventist Solowheel Classic came with A123 LiFePO4 cells.  I'm still using it, so that's 10 years of use.  I think the difference is the nano-scale technology, also the extremely low-resistence, and very stable chemistry.  You can do your own research, the A123 batteries are still being pulled out of old equipment and people are building battery packs out of them.  So they have a 2nd hand market.  Also, there's youtube videos where people abuse them for experiments, like short-circuiting it, tossing it into a fire, and the cell never catches on fire, at worst it smokes or pops.  It is true that the A123 went bankrupt, and it got sold many times, so perhaps the manufacturing cost was too high, so perhaps not a sustainable business.  Or it could just be that consumers only care about low cost and capacity with little regard for other factors, like safety, constant current with low-voltage/low-resistance.  Instead the trend is to use high-voltage which increases fire risk.  Would A123 have survived if General Motors chose A123 over LG for their Chevy Volt/Bolt?  Not sure, but that vehicle is still prone to fire (even in 2022).  I'm certain it would not have possed a fire-hazard if it had A123 cells.

• Like 1