Wheel Violently Judders/Shudders/Shakes When Switched On

Skarard

Hello! 

I'm new here and am having some trouble. 

I jumped straight in attempting to fix and broken IPS Zero.

It came into my possession not working.
I replaced the fuse and experienced a Judder/Shudder/Shake when switched on. I did some more poking around with the old multimeter and realised there were four mosfets that had failed. I also notice that one of the hall effect sensors was not working.

I replaced the mosfets and hall effect sensor. Now when I switch it on it shakes violently, it can occasionally get the wheel spinning. But it goes super fast! 

I wonder if anyone has a schematic for the board? Everything I have tested appears to be nominal values. I wonder if it could have a reflash of the firmware?

Any suggestions appreciated

He he he! 

Turns out I did fix it! I think the problem was not having the wheel touch the ground. I've never used one before so didn't know how to work them.

I can ride it now too. What great fun! 

Next is the petition to get them legally drivable in public in the UK.

Edit: A huge thank you to everyone that partakes in this forum. It gave me so much information!

If anyone has any problems I can offer some solutions and how to check faults etc. I'm in Bristol, UK if anyone ever wants to pop over to my place for some help they are welcome. Email me skarard@gmail.com :)

18 minutes ago, Skarard said:

Next is the petition to get them legally drivable in public in the UK.

Been there, done that nowhere even close to enough people signed it!

54 minutes ago, Keith said:

Been there, done that nowhere even close to enough people signed it!

Well, let's hope things change.  If the world had to rely on realists and cynics like myself, nothing would ever get better and probably few people would even try anything new.  As the saying goes, all progress relies on the unreasonable man.

On 2017-5-30 at 10:14 PM, kasenutty said:

Did you get a good deal on it? 

The deal isn't finalised yet, but its from a friend who is a EUC enthusiast and it's fair to say yes, it'll be a good deal?

On 2017-5-30 at 11:11 PM, Dingfelder said:

Well, let's hope things change.  If the world had to rely on realists and cynics like myself, nothing would ever get better and probably few people would even try anything new.  As the saying goes, all progress relies on the unreasonable man.

I was thinking of running an event in a shopping center to give people a go and get them to sign the petition. I would of course get permission and that would cost money.

Making ? ? ? isn't so hard...

7 hours ago, Skarard said:

I was thinking of running an event in a shopping center to give people a go and get them to sign the petition. I would of course get permission and that would cost money.

Making ? ? ? isn't so hard...

I could see many ways people could look at a unicycle indoors and see liability concerns, multiplied by a very high number if you're talking about getting people to try a ride.

I hope it's not too hard to get around, but I could see the venue managers reacting with, "Are you kidding me? Hell no!" very easily.

On 2017-6-1 at 10:17 PM, Dingfelder said:

I could see many ways people could look at a unicycle indoors and see liability concerns, multiplied by a very high number if you're talking about getting people to try a ride.

I hope it's not too hard to get around, but I could see the venue managers reacting with, "Are you kidding me? Hell no!" very easily.

As a professional acrobat I have dealt with "Are you kidding me? Hell no!" on a daily basis :D 

I had a case where a Health and Safety person wanted me and my partner to wear a harness whilst insisting we do our trapeze act, my reaction to them was "Are you kidding me? Hell no!".

I've taught people how to do Flying Trapeze, that is significantly more dangerous!

My risk assessments are second to none :D

I appreciate your concern though!

It's given me an idea, perhaps it starts as a performance with workshops along side.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2017 at 10:58 AM, Skarard said:

As a professional acrobat I have dealt with "Are you kidding me? Hell no!" on a daily basis :D 

I had a case where a Health and Safety person wanted me and my partner to wear a harness whilst insisting we do our trapeze act, my reaction to them was "Are you kidding me? Hell no!".

I've taught people how to do Flying Trapeze, that is significantly more dangerous!

My risk assessments are second to none :D

I appreciate your concern though!

It's given me an idea, perhaps it starts as a performance with workshops along side.

Yes, I think a performance would be good,  perhaps you could go for something in a park/skate park or similar.   Or something as part of a local festival?  

Though then they may just view it as another 'Circus Act'  that's for the few rather than a mode of transport.    

Do you know many other EUC riders?   Perhaps you could do some group rides in the local area demonstrating how useful EUC can be as a mode of transport?

I once raced WeeJ  I took the bus home and he rode his wheel,   he was home before me!   So a wheel is better than public transport.   

6 hours ago, WeeJ said:

I once raced WeeJ  I took the bus home and he rode his wheel,   he was home before me!   So a wheel is better than public transport.   

That doesn't surprise me... And I expect that is with a "regular" service too?

Where I live there is a lower population density, which means less public transport - From my house I would be lucky to see a bus every half hour (at peak times), and if you need a connection don't expect It to be timed well,

Of course, that is just another reason EUC are awesome! 

20 minutes ago, WeeJ said:

haha yes he left at same time as the bus, and still beat me...   so yeah, looks like i also need to wheel... 

There's an easy response to that comment..,

4 hours ago, WeeJ said:

he laughs at me as he rides his wheel, KS14d and i have to run to keep up!   haha    keeps me fit though i guess

Why aren't you on his old wheel?

Archived