King Song KS16S 840Wh - initial impressions

Dr Mick

On 21/06/2017 at 9:41 PM, Rudy Sijnke said:

Does anyone know, if I can use a fastcharger on it? I've heard it rumored that a fastcharger won't do much good for the battery, not sure however. On my old KS16 it wasn't any problem. 

As @esaj, says above it is the connectors not the batteries that may cause a problem with "fast charging". 

An 840Wh 16s battery is 14.5Ah so a standard charge is 7.25Amps and a "fast charge" I.e. that could possibly reduce the service life of the batteries is greater than that up to 14.5Amps. It drives me up the wall that a 5 Amp charger is considered a "Fast Charger" a piece of historical anachronism from early wheels having less than 160Wh batteries (and even those often had a 2 Amp charger) Discussed further below, but bottom line is that it is long overdue EUC manufacturers making chargers and charge side circuitry which can, at the very least, charge the wheel at 0.5C I.e. Two hours to fully charge REGARDLESS OF THE BATTERY SIZE.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are the speakers on the KS16s?

What's the behavior of the Disco lights? I mean, do they spin with the wheel? Colors? Can they be synchronized with the music?

How does black look versus silver?

On 30.6.2017 at 8:46 PM, LanghamP said:

How are the speakers on the KS16s?

What's the behavior of the Disco lights? I mean, do they spin with the wheel? Colors? Can they be synchronized with the music?

How does black look versus silver?

Speakers are good, I think. Can't compare to other wheels, but my experience is that they are pretty loud, clear, and not bad at all for listening to music. You can push the bluetooth button while the wheel itself is off, and it will only power on the electronics and let you play music without the wheel balancing or the lights coming on. A ghetto blaster with quite a big battery...

Lights spin with the wheel. How fast seems to depend on the max speed setting in the app. When the wheel was limited to 20kph, the lights were spinning like crazy at this speed. After setting the limit to 34kph, they seem to spin much slower at the same 20kph. Maybe I got this wrong, but that was my impression. There are also two light modes. Maybe one spins faster than the other, and I changed modes at some point. Can't say for sure. Color is nothing you can change in such detail like on the NB1. There is just two fixed modes and you pick the one that you like better than the other. No influence on music for the lights, as far as I can see, so that means they are probably no real Disco lights in that sense.

@Lukasz did a video where you can see the black one. It seems that raindrops are a little more visible on the black surface than the silver. Disco light ring seems to blend better on the black one, stands out more on the silver. Silver is prone to scratches. While on the white NB1, small scratches could be healed with some super-fine sand paper, the glossy finish of the silver case doesn't allow for any sand paper. 

• 4 weeks later...

Evidently mine was built on July 6th; I believe mine is a grey import because it says KS Wheel and under it, Sport. However, it is coded to speak in English. I bought mine through AliExpress, which means I now have a 14, 16, and 18 wheel.

Since other people have already reviewed most parts of this wheel, I'll add but few observations.

--Mine is the 840 wh version.

--Out of the box the level is bang-on. So with me, I will occasionally ride the wheel "backwards" by mistake. It rides with no difference.

--It's a very pretty wheel, sleek and modern looking. Seeing other people on the same model (I ride with others) seems so right as it's just a large wheel. From a stylistic viewpoint, circular cases on wheels look amazing.

--The speakers are noticeably worse than my KS14c (and presumably the KS18).

--The pedals are quite difficult to open and close. I disassembled them, lubricated all parts. The center pedal rod is difficult to lube; I lubed it, and put extra grease on the pedal openings, and worked it back and forth. They are easy to work on, the clearance is quite precise just like Gotways. Afterwards the pedals were smooth and easy to open/close. I'd suggest this over the magnetic modification if you don't want to redo the skate tape, but when the original skate tape wears out then I'll probably do the magnetic mod.

--The trolley handle is delicate. I would be cautious trolleying this around crowds of people but in supermarkets and other places it's fine.

--The bluetooth speaker connects instantly if you have set your Android phone to "trusted device", ready to play music. This has to be the biggest bluetooth speaker made. Interestingly, if you have the music playing while trolleying the wheel, with the sidelights on, people assume it is some bluetooth party speaker, with a convenient wheel through the center. Which it kinda is.

--My pedals don't dip in turns. My friend who has the same model wheel, scrapes the front of his pedals all the time when making sharp turns. So my wheel doesn't dip but his wheel does. Dunno what to say.

--Don't go off curbs on this or any other wheel, but now that you're going to, be advised the rear of this mostly enclosed wheel can catch on the lip of the curb. While I haven't gone off curbs, I have rolled the wheel by hand over various curbs; curbs two inches taller than the height of your footpegs will catch but just a bit higher than your footpegs cannot. To me that's a huge curb to go off.

--While the wheel makes no noise, the engine is loud, with at least two tones that make the whole affair sound a lot more "mechanical" than smaller wheels. On a quiet street if I accelerate and then back off, there's a very pleasant thrum, almost a pop. My MSuper does that but even louder. I like it. However, my KS14c pops, hums, wheezes, skips, jangles, creakes, and pretty much sounds like there's an internal combustion engine. I don't think that's proper behavior, especially the occasional skip, but it sounds awesome.

--The footpegs are still too small.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

--My pedals don't dip in turns. My friend who has the same model wheel, scrapes the front of his pedals all the time when making sharp turns. So my wheel doesn't dip but his wheel does. Dunno what to say.

Mine don't dip either - my ks16c dipped. As written here some times this could result from a bad calibration and a new calibration could help.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

on July 6th; I believe mine is a grey import because it says KS Wheel and under it, Sport. However, it is coded to speak in English. I bought mine through AliExpress, which means I now have a 14, 16, and 18 wh

Has nothing to do with "grey import"...

All Kingsongs sold in China/Asia and so also over Aliexpress run under KSwheels! only registered resellers in US and europe receive the Kingsong paded wheels....So totally normal!

Slightly erratic/quick review of the KS16S after two months of use / 1300 km. Movie also include short description of mods .. Please subscribe to my channel if possible.

Thank You in advance. More technical detailed review - after 2000km...  (it will also be colder, yesterday we had 35 degrees Celsius....  ;-)     ) 

My unit is in daily use / I ride every day, so it has not been prepared in any special way for the review / cleaned / waxed / silicone covered or any other beauty mods applied...  

Few words related to Gotway are based on my friend experience with broken motor after 1 week of use - 84V Gotway ACM 1600wh ...

6 minutes ago, sanman said:

Sorry if it's been answered already - but can you turn off the LEDs?

Yes, the LED light show can be shut off via the app.  The green battery indicator lights show when the wheel is at a stand still cannot be shut off.

26 minutes ago, sanman said:

How about the abrasion resistance / toughness of the exterior shell?

I just received my 16s and only have 70km on it so far.  I have the rubberized matte black version.  The shell seems very tough.  I'm coming from owning Gotways and I'm impressed.  As far as abrasion resistant, like most other wheels, I'm sure it will scratch up if dropped.  I haven't crashed mine yet, so I can't speak to that.

I will say that I'm extremely impressed with torque and handling.  The front light is actually functional to wheel at night and see where your going.  Trollly handle is by far the best On a wheel I've owned.  That included aftermarket handled and the ones on msuperv3 and Inmotion V8.  I'm 6'3" and the handle is a bit short, but not bad at all.  I'm very happy with the 16s and hope to post more thoughts on this wheel and the 18s when I get more time on each.

40 minutes ago, sanman said:

How about the abrasion resistance / toughness of the exterior shell?

It is a very sturdy and tough shell, proofed since about 1,5 years the Ks16 is on the market. Has an inner and outer shell!

Working as good as the search function in the right corner above ;-)

Sorry, just a joke ;-)

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

I just received my 16s and only have 70km on it so far.  I have the rubberized matte black version.  The shell seems very tough.  I'm coming from owning Gotways and I'm impressed.  As far as abrasion resistant, like most other wheels, I'm sure it will scratch up if dropped.  I haven't crashed mine yet, so I can't speak to that.

I will say that I'm extremely impressed with torque and handling.  The front light is actually functional to wheel at night and see where your going.  Trollly handle is by far the best On a wheel I've owned.  That included aftermarket handled and the ones on msuperv3 and Inmotion V8.  I'm 6'3" and the handle is a bit short, but not bad at all.  I'm very happy with the 16s and hope to post more thoughts on this wheel and the 18s when I get more time on each.

At what battery level does the wheel turn into a Ninebot? Maybe 25%???

Just now, Marty Backe said:

You need to get one to find out. It is a magnificent wheel, like a bigger KS14C, and very very friendly in its handling. Like if you close your eyes you can't tell how far leaned over except by the gforces.

If you buy another wheel, would it be possible to actually make some Frankenstein four-wheeler out of your NineBot pro and two wheels? I have four wheels and have often thought this.

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good point!  I'm not saying it's perfect, but I've been impressed so far for my needs.

Actually, I was expressing a real question. Sorry if I came across as a smart-ass :D  I'm not anti-KingSong; as noted, I have a KS14C and enjoy it.

I've heard differing spec's as to when the various new wheels (KS18 & KS16) slow the wheel down.

So I'm curious from @Sketch at what battery level does your KS16S start limiting its speed? I can live with ~25%, but probably not 40%.

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Actually, I was expressing a real question. Sorry if I came across as a smart-ass :D  I'm not anti-KingSong; as noted, I have a KS14C and enjoy it.

Oh. I know, it just struck me as funny how much more battery capacity the Gotways and Kingsongs have compared to the Ninebot.  No, that's a good question that I would like to know also.  (I was being kind of a smartass:facepalm: )

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I've heard differing spec's as to when the various new wheels (KS18 & KS16) slow the wheel down.

So I'm curious from @Sketch at what battery level does your KS16S start limiting its speed? I can live with ~25%, but probably not 40%.

I have to say I haven't allowed it to get below 40% battery before I recharged. Been using the KS18 for longer rides and haven't put a dent into the battery supply yet.   I will let it run down on this cycle and let you know what I find out.  

Archived