Inmotion V5F cutout

joftley

Today my V5F which I've been riding for several months with no problems cut out. I hit a tiny bump, maybe half an inch, and the wheel didn't make it and I fell forward. When I looked at the wheel, it was powered off. Trying to turn it on did nothing. Rolling the wheel with the trolley gave greater resistance than usual for when the wheel is off and I was unable to roll it and had to carry it. When I plugged it into the charger, the charger turned on indicating it was delivering power but the wheel still did not turn on. It was a bit misty so maybe water had something to do with this but seems unlikely. I did go up and down a steeper hill than I've gone on before about 10 minutes prior but I did not notice anything unusual about the riding until the wheel threw me down. I don't see any other posts about V5F cutouts so what should I do now to get the wheel moving again?

• Upvote 1

The most likely problem is the MOSFETs one might have failed. They are the electronic power switches delivering power to the motor.

Try to find a local dealer or user with electronic skill to help. Is the wheel in Warranty?

If the wheel is older than the warranty period, and you feel skilled to open the wheel and inspect the circuit board you might want to do that.

But you must understand the Battery cables are dangerous. A lot of energy and you must know how to re-connect to prevent an ARC-Flash.

I had a power on failure after cleaning my v5f with a wet mop solved when I open it for inspection. There is a reset switch inside the charge cap, you can try it before open the nearly 40 screws to inspect it inside.

In my opinion there is no guarantee problem with open it due is needed for tube repair.

Hope you solve the problem easily as I do

On 5/31/2017 at 7:21 AM, Demargon said:

I had a power on failure after cleaning my v5f with a wet mop solved when I open it for inspection

Strange to hear you have this problem when cleaning in this fashion...I use a garden hose and spray the wheel and mud guard area regularly with no issues...

I'm surprised too. The inside was completely dry, no marks of water, nothing broked, only a bit dusty. Before, I wait, try the power and the reset button, then open the shell, try again the button but nothing works. In some point of the unmount the v5f decides back to life themselve, I touch the power button accidentally, then I thanks that and mount it again with no more questions.

The point of the fixing was in the colour lights untaping, maybe I touch the correct wire or simply the v5f have a protection countdown in case of sortcut due wather in the power socket (but I can't see any in it). No more clues of what goes wrong but was the unique malfunction in more of 1500km of rough use, about 500km after that incident

Edited by Demargon
  • Upvote 1

The original fuse had blown. @Jason McNeil sent me a replacement control board. After replacing the board, the wheel is working again. It took some time to disassemble but the I'm sure the next time I have to open it up, it would go much faster.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...