Hacking the MiniPro's speed limiter

Not faster than design top speed, but he seems to say that previously he could only comfortably cruise at 75%.  I commented that maybe Segway should have provided for a knee bar that slides forwards or backwards according to user preference, same as the whole thing adjusts up or down.

Maybe if you feel like you are going faster, it's almost as good as actually going faster?!

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, jojo33 said:

Hello all

I understand that many of you want more speed, but having more speed means having less battery.
I too would like to have 20km / h for example.

In 2750 km traveled with my Mini I had 4 falls.
Having a fall at 17km / h is not the same as having a fall at 25km / h

And to see your mini continue to drive without you (see topic about run away issue ) in the middle of the road at 25km / h, it is very dangerous for others too, I hope you run fast to catch it...

For those who have never seen their Mini hitting a wall at 18km / h, you will cry...

For those who do not know how much Ninebot is putting in the way to defend its patents, I advise you to read this article.

https://dailyhover.com/the-endless-patent-battles-of-segway/

and U.S  United States International Trade Commission complaints https://www.usitc.gov/3168.htm

Ninebot does not hesitate to call on its lawyers in New York to sue the world's people who would use its technology.
If the firmware is hacked, this is a violation of Ninebot's patents rights.

During the downgrade, last year, there was a comparable risk.

Actualy for me, the best way for feel high speed in my hair is riding by night, it's seems really more faster than daily, all is quiet,,, everybody is sleeping, no cars, no bike, for see you are super low speed........... alone with the stars...

I am close to 1500kms and have had 0 falls, 0 crashes.  The MiniPro has better battery life than the Ninebot One E+ and the + goes 22kph and no one thinks it would be better if it went slower to get better battery life.  I rode the MiniPro on a 23km journey today and it felt so slow.  Cyclists and skateboarders were passing me.

• Upvote 2

@RooMiniPro

Completely agree with you

Wonderful device,  but too slow for a use at 360 degrees in duties and tasks. ..:sleep1:

Unlucky,  I just know the Ninebot will do nothing for increase its speed, nor a forthcoming future device from them will be ever more fast. ..:rolleyes: ( they only think to compile security protocols and acquire licences and homologation. ..)

So, I'll be forced in a near future to change my 2 miniPro for a forthcoming clone that will be out in August in an enhanced power model version ,  which promise a maximum speed of 28Kph:wub:

Very sad, anyway cause I love originals,  I love Segway co brand, I love miniPro shape, design and simple and clear details. ...:crying:

1 hour ago, zugu said:

@RooMiniPro

Completely agree with you

Wonderful device,  but too slow for a use at 360 degrees in duties and tasks. ..:sleep1:

Unlucky,  I just know the Ninebot will do nothing for increase its speed, nor a forthcoming future device from them will be ever more fast. ..:rolleyes: ( they only think to compile security protocols and acquire licences and homologation. ..)

So, I'll be forced in a near future to change my 2 miniPro for a forthcoming clone that will be out in August in an enhanced power model version ,  which promise a maximum speed of 28Kph:wub:

Very sad, anyway cause I love originals,  I love Segway co brand, I love miniPro shape, design and simple and clear details. ...:crying:

I agree, but the main reason I found for the speed limitation is to keep it federally categorized here in the United States as a mobility device, same category as a wheelchair.  So by law they are street legal nationwide. This is important since law enforcement may try to Ticket you.

I do wish my minipro topped out at 15mph Rules and regulations keeping it legal is the issue. In England they are really giving electric mobility devices Like Gotway EUC a real hard time now since they top out at 22mph. I read somewhere that the ninebot mini tops out at 27kph in Europe. 

The miniPro is illegal in Australia at any speed...

Choice of max speed seems to correlate to a good human jogging speed.  It's intended - as I see it - to enable the user to travel effortlessly but not faster than they would on foot. 

Imho,  no problems into limit by ourselves the max speed via the app setting the tiltback point ;) this could be useful to set the limits for any country all over the world ;)

So, please,  Ninebot,  make a 25-28Kph max speed machine,B)  then will be the user to set it by the app in order to be compliant with the surface where is used and the law of the single country:thumbup:

In Italy,  for example,  not yet exists an approved normative,  but there's a document that let consider this category a Sega and so, it can be rode on sidewalks at 6kph max speed observing to keep the right and give the priorities to the walking people,  and 20kph on the apposite bike tracks , for the rest, it's tolerated in order to cross big streets like can do a walking guy;)

Hello all

i'm sorry and ashamed,,,,i made a big mistake and when i post this iI did not think.... (because i have a f*******g tire problem....)

i just install last ninebot apk version, each time i tried login app refused me access with a message error "network...6"    with my app version 341, i usually use it, and now, no, refused access....

i have a mini n3m240 (called xiaomi)

well, i install app v4 and successfully login but...

a very bad news is: before i can ride over 17.5kmh max 18/ sometimes 20kmh

now im limited at 15.5 ! Tilt back begin near 13/14kmh

i ride too without the app it's the same!

well

i would like to know if mini pro version is affected too?

Someone is running with app v4?

Edited by jojo33

5 hours ago, jojo33 said:

Hello all

i just install last ninebot apk version, each time i tried login app refused me access with a message error "network...6"    with my app version 341, i usually use it, and now, no, refused access....

i have a mini n3m240 (called xiaomi)

well, i install app v4 and successfully login but...

a very bad news is: before i can ride over 17.5kmh max 18/ sometimes 20kmh

now im limited at 15.5 ! Tilt back begin near 13/14kmh

i ride too without the app it's the same!

well

i would like to know if mini pro version is affected too?

Someone is running with app v4?

Mine is the same speed 10.2 MPH max using App Version 4.0 iOS ... App shouldn't affect the speed of it's not running, speed limitation is firmware/also based on battery levels, Temps, and Riding style.

Someone suggested riding slower for a few miles and you get your top speed back, the algorithm may think you're riding to agressivly. A saw a post here stating letting his child ride the MiniPro for a half hour changed his speed limit. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2017 at 1:24 AM, SegwayMiniPro said:

Mine is the same speed 10.2 MPH max using App Version 4.0 iOS ... App shouldn't affect the speed of it's not running, speed limitation is firmware/also based on battery levels, Temps, and Riding style.

Yes ! you'r right, it's true, apps dont affect speed limit but...

(im very sorry i forgot something important when i wrotte my post...i cant say that here because im ashamed, ....:unsure::wacko:

Since last year, i try many different version of the app and i compare with another running app in bicy mode, and i saw ninebot app gives diferent speed, the specified speed is not accurate.

For me the version 341 was the most realistic with the real speed i run, i made comparison between ninebot app data (max speed, mileage , average speed) and samsung s health app

On 7/11/2017 at 1:24 AM, SegwayMiniPro said:

Someone suggested riding slower for a few miles and you get your top speed back, the algorithm may think you're riding to agressivly. A saw a post here stating letting his child ride the MiniPro for a half hour changed his speed limit. 

I don't see this post but

i create a topic 

i advice to restore factory reset before a kid use the mini after an adult ride (algorithm memorize weight riding attitude...) 

and i suggest too, after repare tire, inflate tire at the good pressure, make again a factory reset

ride 30mn slowly, and progressivly increase the speed, it's a liitle diferent than you read

Edited by jojo33

• 2 months later...

I see the biggest problem in hacking the firmware is getting it reinstalled on the Minipro.  It would be tricky and may have checksums which might prevent it from loading if anything is altered.   As it is I tried altering the first App for the phone (ver 3.5.1) to prevent it from starting up when the phone boots up but it would not install after that.   I found out that version started with the phone bootup and then found it won't work with the current MiniPro firmware so I updated to 4.0.6 and saw that version no longer starts with your phone bootup (thank you Segway!)  which is good because it uses a lot of memory.   

I can see one solution for the speedup I haven't seen mentioned.   It would involve building a knee bar that mounts with a downward bend at the junction point and then curves back up to go between your legs (or up for a handlebar).   That would reverse the steering so it would be the same as going forward.  Lean left go left - lean right go right.  You just need to ride it backward and might need to change the balance point setting in the App.   Crude drawing below:  

ninebot-mini-pro.mod.jpg

2 hours ago, segtrix said:

I see the biggest problem in hacking the firmware is getting it reinstalled on the Minipro.  It would be tricky and may have checksums which might prevent it from loading if anything is altered.   As it is I tried altering the first App for the phone (ver 3.5.1) to prevent it from starting up when the phone boots up but it would not install after that.   I found out that version started with the phone bootup and then found it won't work with the current MiniPro firmware so I updated to 4.0.6 and saw that version no longer starts with your phone bootup (thank you Segway!)  which is good because it uses a lot of memory.   

I can see one solution for the speedup I haven't seen mentioned.   It would involve building a knee bar that mounts with a downward bend at the junction point and then curves back up to go between your legs (or up for a handlebar).   That would reverse the steering so it would be the same as going forward.  Lean left go left - lean right go right.  You just need to ride it backward and might need to change the balance point setting in the App.   Crude drawing below:  

ninebot-mini-pro.mod.jpg

You must have missed the entire thread dedicated to riding the MiniPro backwards and why it is not an option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys Just posting to keep everyone in the loop have my minipro running modified firmware amd it tops out safely with me at 19mph any faster and it becomes unstable on hills but keep in mind I'm 240lbs

The mod is not a freebee amd you can kiss the warranty good bye. And you need tools and hardware to pull it off.

I used OpenOCD debugging and a

custom J-link  debugger (Wireless) to reverse engineer a lot of data IF i had my hands on a segway mini pro running older 1.1.7 fw it be a lot easier but mine is brand new off amazon. 

If anyone has an org segway running ver 1.1.7 or at least 1.2.8 and down as they don't have hardware encryption enabled and not scared of me ataching 10 wires to the main board. A simple mod chip option can be done think old xbox's. I'm doing this as simple test and will post data openly 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, techmasterjoe said:

Hey guys Just posting to keep everyone in the loop have my minipro running modified firmware amd it tops out safely with me at 19mph any faster and it becomes unstable on hills but keep in mind I'm 240lbs

The mod is not a freebee amd you can kiss the warranty good bye. And you need tools and hardware to pull it off.

custom J-link  debugger (Wireless) to reverse engineer a lot of data IF i had my hands on a segway mini pro running older 1.1.7 fw it be a lot easier but mine is brand new off amazon. 

If anyone has an org segway running ver 1.1.7 or at least 1.2.8 and down as they don't have hardware encryption enabled and not scared of me ataching 10 wires to the main board. A simple mod chip option can be done think old xbox's. I'm doing this as simple test and will post data openly 

Interesting.  Can you show us your MiniPro running at 19mph as claimed?  Keep us posted.

Edited by RooMiniPro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

Interesting.  Can you show us your MiniPro running at 19mph as claimed?  Keep us posted.

Yes, very interesting for me also.

The ability to go faster on the MiniPro is my last current wish item.

Occassionally, I like to successfully pass someone on the bike trails and not having that capability is annoying.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 6:57 AM, MRN76 said:

On 3/18/2018 at 7:00 AM, MRN76 said:

Here the description and the tool for rolling back to 1.1.7

*You are only allowed to upload 3.13mb.

FW_dump_user_manual_STLink.part2.rar

Ninebot.rar

Wrong Forum (you probably knew that), but could be applicable here as well, one day

• 5 months later...

The Z10 Uni Wheel by Segway goes at 45KM/h, so I'm not sure the that Segway care whether we are intelligent or not. Maybe, they will upgrade their firmware in future, to increase the speed to 25KM/h. Personally, I would be totally happy with that kind of speed. Maybe, if we started a petition and sent it to Segway, they might consider updating the firmware. I am fairly certain that there is a speed limiter in place, currently. All they have do, is remove it!

I am a software engineer, so I will look into ways of emulating the firmware. I reckon this is the cleanest way of approaching this issue. Messing around with the gyro/motor, sounds fraught with problems. 

On 9/27/2017 at 4:00 PM, techmasterjoe said:

Wait a second, that's 30KM/h! Wow. I'm really surprised the engineers gave it that much of a buffer!

On 3/18/2018 at 4:00 AM, MRN76 said:

Here the description and the tool for rolling back to 1.1.7

MRN76, I tried 1.1.7 but settled on 1.1.9 as the pushback on hills is less abrupt in that version, yet it hasn't been hacked with the proportional stuff which ruins v2 onwards. Other than the less aggressive pushback, they seemed the same to me. Is there some reason why you suggest 1.1.7 and not 1.1.9?

7 hours ago, Charlesr said:

Wait a second, that's 30KM/h! Wow. I'm really surprised the engineers gave it that much of a buffer!

It would be a Dream!!!! :wub: :thumbup: :clap3:

• Upvote 1