Is Ninebot S1 to V5F enough of an upgrade?

Fuzzypixel

I have a Ninebot S1 (the US version) and am thinking of upgrading to a V5F. 

I love the S1 for compactness and the aesthetics but there's this one mile stretch of a road on my commute  which is smooth and straight and riding the ninebot there is an exercise in frustration as I'm constantly hitting the tiltback due to 12.5mph speed limit.

Will 15mph of a V5F feel enough of an upgrade?

I don't need the range of V5F+ as my commute is just a couple of miles plus public transportation which is why lightness and compactness is important so I don't think V8 will be a good fit.

Thoughts?

5 hours ago, Fuzzypixel said:

I have a Ninebot S1 (the US version) and am thinking of upgrading to a V5F. 

I love the S1 for compactness and the aesthetics but there's this one mile stretch of a road on my commute  which is smooth and straight and riding the ninebot there is an exercise in frustration as I'm constantly hitting the tiltback due to 12.5mph speed limit.

Will 15mph of a V5F feel enough of an upgrade?

I don't need the range of V5F+ as my commute is just a couple of miles plus public transportation which is why lightness and compactness is important so I don't think V8 will be a good fit.

Thoughts?

For a while yes, I've had my V5f+ since last August. I actually 'downgraded' speed wise as my old Lhotz could do 30kph. But the beeping on that thing was so irritating above 22kph that I rarely went any faster.

The V5f+ will comfortably do 25kph (assuming your weight isn't excessive etc etc). However I find the faster you can go....the more you will get used to that new top speed. Nearly a year later and I wish I could squeeze out an extra 5kph. But then that's just me.

If you are happy to splash the extra cash, I'd go for the V8....yes it's heavier, but the built in handle and motor trigger mean it's surprisingly flexible when you need to transport it either small or large distances when not riding.

Otherwise, the V5f+ is a damn fine wheel. And it's speed will probably be enough for you. It certainly 'feels' a big jump going from 20kph to 25kph. (25 to 30, not so much, but I would still love the option).

Ok thanks. Looks like I need to think about it a bit.

Still leaning towards vf5, as it sounds like it's be enough of a bump.

Purely from aesthetics pov I have seen neither v5f nor v8 in person, but from the pics and videos i really like the vf5.

3 hours ago, Fuzzypixel said:

Ok thanks. Looks like I need to think about it a bit.

Still leaning towards vf5, as it sounds like it's be enough of a bump.

Purely from aesthetics pov I have seen neither v5f nor v8 in person, but from the pics and videos i really like the vf5.

Awesome. You won't be disappointed. 

Get it from Jason/Ewheels and I think he still throws in the handle for free. And yes, you DO want the handle. ?

12 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Awesome. You won't be disappointed. 

Get it from Jason/Ewheels and I think he still throws in the handle for free. And yes, you DO want the handle. ?

The website says V5F are on backorder.  @Jason McNeil, if ordered now when it'll ship? Thanks!

8 hours ago, Fuzzypixel said:

The website says V5F are on backorder.  @Jason McNeil, if ordered now when it'll ship? Thanks!

The V5Fs are 10 days away from arrival, V5F+ are expected in about 5 weeks—Inmotion produce Wheels in larger batches, so if they don't have stock of a particular type, the wait can be up to several weeks. 

Have you considered the KS14 (D or S, only difference is battery sizes apparently)? I believe it is surprisingly compact, the telescoping handle might be more comfortable than the V5 folding handle, and it has 30 km/h top speed.

I love my V5F+, and use it almost exclusively. For most situations, especially for errands, grocery shopping, commuting, and other little trips I use it entirely.

However, I will be stuck on straight stretches of around half a mile, and it is during those times I find myself in "the death zone" whereby I'm so bored I inch up to the maximum speed of 15 mph, hit tiltback, then go down to 14 mph. That tiny zone, going back and forth trying to stay within it, is actually both uncomfortable and boring. It's challenging only in the sense of spearing an olive with a toothpick; sure you can do it but why bother if you have other options.

I'd for sure go with the V8 over the V5 if I had a straight like that; the weight is the same but the speed is a more comfortable few mph on the straights. Now my average speed is 9.5 mph on the V5; that shows I am hardly ever on straights so for my usage the V5F is perfectly fine.

It's my hope to see an in-stock wheel dealer in every city and perhaps every town so people can try out wheels and answer these questions. I mean, we have car dealers everywhere, yes?

You just cannot know with any accuracy what is an appropriate wheel (buy your first <any> wheel then figure it out) but you can have a pretty accurate idea of what your second wheel should be as you now have a basic of comparison. In fact, you've just stated a criteria important enough to mention ("I have this one mile stretch...").

To pose the question is to answer the question. :)

The V5F is inappropriate. The V8 or the KS16 is appropriate. I would guess most advanced 16 inch wheels are appropriate. Get the V8.

Self-disclaimer: I've only ridden the V5F+ and the Gotway MSuper, and only a combined 700 miles. So whatever I say is from logic and not from experience.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Have you considered the KS14 (D or S, only difference is battery sizes apparently)? I believe it is surprisingly compact, the telescoping handle might be more comfortable than the V5 folding handle, and it has 30 km/h top speed.

I haven't considered any of the Kingsongs, they look a bit too industrial to me. Since this is essentially a useful toy I want it purty

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

It's my hope to see an in-stock wheel dealer in every city and perhaps every town so people can try out wheels and answer these questions. I mean, we have car dealers everywhere, yes?

You just cannot know with any accuracy what is an appropriate wheel (buy your first <any> wheel then figure it out) but you can have a pretty accurate idea of what your second wheel should be as you now have a basic of comparison. In fact, you've just stated a criteria important enough to mention ("I have this one mile stretch...").

To pose the question is to answer the question. :)

The V5F is inappropriate. The V8 or the KS16 is appropriate. I would guess most advanced 16 inch wheels are appropriate. Get the V8.

Self-disclaimer: I've only ridden the V5F+ and the Gotway MSuper, and only a combined 700 miles. So whatever I say is from logic and not from experience.

I think your experience is quite relevant, this is exactly how I feel on the S1 on that straight stretch, bumping odd the speed limit. So yeah, it could be that V8 is the answer. I wish it came in white though!

58 minutes ago, Fuzzypixel said:

I haven't considered any of the Kingsongs, they look a bit too industrial to me. Since this is essentially a useful toy I want it purty

I would fully agree that the Kingsong 14C, the wheel I have got is "industrial looking" but surely not the KS16 or the KS14D 

or indeed the new KS16S.

I really like the Inmotion wheels and keep getting tempted to buy the V8 myself, but for speed it really has to be Gotway and Kingsong and it is Kingsong  (IMHO) that have the edge over Gotway where looks are concerned ?

6 hours ago, Keith said:

I would fully agree that the Kingsong 14C, the wheel I have got is "industrial looking" but surely not the KS16 or the KS14D 

or indeed the new KS16S.

I really like the Inmotion wheels and keep getting tempted to buy the V8 myself, but for speed it really has to be Gotway and Kingsong and it is Kingsong  (IMHO) that have the edge over Gotway where looks are concerned ?

Yeah, the 16S does look better, but it's quite a bit more expensive than even V8. Missus will not aporove. 

For my new V8 purchase my excess is " its IP55 so now I can ride in the rain" now I can ride it every day to and from work so I can get home faster so you won't miss me much :)

1 hour ago, Fuzzypixel said:

Ok, after much consideration ordered V8 from @Jason McNeil.

Now I just need to practice:

"Honey, I needed a faster wheel to be safer."

"I didn't buy it for me, I bought it for you. So that you don't worry"

That's awesome, I am somewhat jelly-ous Lol. The V8 is a damn sexy wheel :dribble: (one I've always wanted for my small collection), I'll get around to it. You won't be disappointed! Enjoy my friend. :thumbup:

On 5/26/2017 at 3:03 AM, Fuzzypixel said:

Congrats @Fuzzypixel!  The V8 is an awesome wheel :thumbup:

On 26/05/2017 at 8:03 AM, Fuzzypixel said:

Congrats, very jealous!

You'll find the handle-trigger on the Inmotions alone so useful you won't want another wheel without one again.

The Inmotion app, while excellent, can sometimes be a bit temperamental, especially when updating it so let us know if you run into any problems. If you have android, it's the 'bluetooth' one on the play store you need to download. Not the other one.

Thanks for the advice folks!

Alleged to be arriving tomorrow unless Fedex does the Fedex thing and messes it up.

Now thinking of how to protect it from dust and small scratches without uglyfying it too much. Thinking 3M automotive transparent film should do it.

14 minutes ago, Fuzzypixel said:

Oh hai

img-20170531-wa0043-01.jpeg

I love seeing even other people's deliveries/unboxings. Jealous!

Been so long since my gleaming V5f+ was excitedly unwrapped.....now all scratched and chipped up ?

23 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

I love seeing even other people's deliveries/unboxings. Jealous!

Been so long since my gleaming V5f+ was excitedly unwrapped.....now all scratched and chipped up ?

Don't worry, it probably won't be long before my formerly gleaming V8 will be all scratched and chipped  up, if my S1 is any indication..

Archived