Advice on buying a EUC

knix

2 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I strongly agree with that example!  Even if that's the average weight of a man in Southern China (I have no idea), in America even our women on average weigh more than that, and our men weigh almost a third more, with a great many who are heavier.  Testing only with the weight equivalent of a 9th grade boy doesn't tell Americans much about whether a wheel will satisfy or how well it will hold up under ordinary use.

Ideally the thinking among manufacturers would extend to the design and marketing stage, so that the average American wouldn't have only a small selection of wheels to choose from, or be led into a purchase he regrets and would not recommend to others.  

Average weight about 145 lbs, average shoe-size about 8 (US). That means a difference on average of 1.5 in shoe-size and 50 lbs in weight.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

You're right that it's nowhere near as important as it used to be.  But it is still an enormous and very affluent market; in fact the biggest market in the world.  We spend more on our pets than people in some countries spend on their parents or children.  

America is hardly the only place in the world where most men are over 145 pounds, either.

And the U.S. has plenty of big cities too.  

Re buses ridden mostly by the poor, I agree  They are a third-rate transportation option at best.  

But some of our subway and train systems are excellent.  I lived in Los Angeles when the subways first came in and wound up taking them to work for years.  They were new, kept clean, and for a while extremely well policed.  In Southern California, people sometimes live hours from where they work, so using a train or train and subway mixed together to go to work could save 20,000 miles a year or more on your car, cut your insurance costs way back, and save you hours of time per day.  That's a huge potential economic boost and quality of life issue.

I think we shouldn't underestimate the US-market, and I'm not even a US citizen ;) 

While the population of the US is about a fourth of China, the market for high price goods are totally out of proportion. They're getting there, but for now you can't ignore the US or EU markets if you want to be in the forefront of the competition.

I think this derailed a little bit :P but interesting discussions. And I think that if a wheel has a weight limit of 120 kg for example, it should be thoroughly tested with that weight. Or they should lower the limit...

Anyway, thanks for the replys, I have got some more insight now.

Do you think there is a big difference in stability/comfort between the v5 and the v8?

10 hours ago, knix said:

I think this derailed a little bit :P but interesting discussions. And I think that if a wheel has a weight limit of 120 kg for example, it should be thoroughly tested with that weight. Or they should lower the limit...

Anyway, thanks for the replys, I have got some more insight now.

Do you think there is a big difference in stability/comfort between the v5 and the v8?

Do more reasearch. IPS has a new model the IPS5i. It's an amazing option and very light. 

14 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Do more reasearch. IPS has a new model the IPS5i. It's an amazing option and very light. 

Hadn't seen that one. looks cool. How does its performance compare to the v5?

Reading on this forum, it seems that most people get bigger and bigger wheels with more performance. 

I want to buy a wheel that I wont feel is to weak soon after buying it. Isn't that a risk with the smaller wheels?

2 hours ago, knix said:

Hadn't seen that one. looks cool. How does its performance compare to the v5?

Reading on this forum, it seems that most people get bigger and bigger wheels with more performance. 

I want to buy a wheel that I wont feel is to weak soon after buying it. Isn't that a risk with the smaller wheels?

yes.  but one wheel can not do all. what a curse!  

Blue sky:

10kg total weight, 1500W motor, 1000wah power, headlight, tail light, build in trolley, 16 inch wheel, 18 inches high, adjustable pedal ground clearance, multiple pedal sizes. switchable rims to accommodate  different tire widths. Or interchangeable outer rim to switch from and to 14, 16,18 by just switching the tire and outer rtim section but sharing the same motor and power and shell center. Maybe someone will make one.

you will have to figure what area is the most important.

cost, range, hills, crowded city, be able to carry.  make a big list.  circle top 5 needs. cross out nice to have but not essential. hopefully that will point to the correct model..

4 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

yes.  but one wheel can not do all. what a curse!  

Blue sky:

10kg total weight, 1500W motor, 1000wah power, headlight, tail light, build in trolley, 16 inch wheel, 18 inches high, adjustable pedal ground clearance, multiple pedal sizes. switchable rims to accommodate  different tire widths. Or interchangeable outer rim to switch from and to 14, 16,18 by just switching the tire and outer rtim section but sharing the same motor and power and shell center. Maybe someone will make one.

you will have to figure what area is the most important.

cost, range, hills, crowded city, be able to carry.  make a big list.  circle top 5 needs. cross out nice to have but not essential. hopefully that will point to the correct model..

I feel a wheel that can do 30koh to 32kph safely for city is plenty fast. If the roads are good 14 inch is nice.

If you need to go on trails then you need bigger diameter wheels.

If you want a cruiser, easy traffic with  30 mph or 48 kph speed limits that would be the super fast Monster or ACM or MsuperV3.

Archived