knix

Advice on buying a EUC

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Let me see if there's something I can do to intervene & get this sorted for you. Should be fixed by tomorrow...  Sorry, looks like Monday....

If you can't fix this Jason I'm selling my V8 and V5F+ and buying an ACM! :P

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

If you can't fix this Jason I'm selling my V8 and V5F+ and buying an ACM! :P

I hadn't even thought to contact Jason, since he sold me the wheel, haha. You guys should have some sway with Inmotion, as you are official dealers.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

And F off with this app bullcrap, jerks!

Expecting the customer to use a VPN, disable data and wifi, install old app versions, etc. just to access the settings is ridiculous. And buying a wheel from a company that does this to its customers is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hatchet said:

A US manufacturer of good wheels operating within all laws rather than Chinese companies with questionable QA etc would be amazing.

Edit: Sorry for derail,

Isn't Inmotion a Korean company? Not sure if they manufacture their EUCs in the ROK. 

I, for one, appreciate the Chinese manufacturers.  Without them the ewheel landscape would be boring and stagnant.

Edited by litewave
Removed political commentary.
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

IPS as well, they could be where GW is now if they had continued where they were with the Lhotz 2 years ago or whenever that was.

I am an IPS fan, as many here know. I love the 121 and 191 (Lhotz) and ride one or the other 7 days per week. These designs are rock solid and an excellent choice if you don't need a mega-size battery. With the 340 wh battery in both of these models, I can ride 2 hours with a comfortable margin of remaining battery power. The shells are also very durably built. Having had 3 121s, 2 121+s, and 2 191s with ZERO PROBLEMS, I would not hesitate to buy one of these the next time I need a wheel.

However, I have been wondering what IPS would do next. I was surprised and somewhat disappointed by the announcement of the new compact 14 inch wheel. Apparently they are reluctant to go down the Gotway / KS path of larger, more powerful wheels. I think that is the area of growth in this market. I don't think the 14-inch market is growing much.

Some interesting discussion of the new IPS wheel:

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Having had 3 121s, 2 121+s, and 2 191s with ZERO PROBLEMS, I would not hesitate to buy one of these the next time I need a wheel.

"I've had the same wheel forever... I've replaced the tyre three times, the wheel itself twice, and I'm on to my fourth shell. But this wheel just seems to last forever!"  :D

I love my Lhotz too...

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

I am an IPS fan, as many here know. I love the 121 and 191 (Lhotz) and ride one or the other 7 days per week. These designs are rock solid and an excellent choice if you don't need a mega-size battery. With the 340 wh battery in both of these models, I can ride 2 hours with a comfortable margin of remaining battery power. The shells are also very durably built. Having had 3 121s, 2 121+s, and 2 191s with ZERO PROBLEMS, I would not hesitate to buy one of these the next time I need a wheel.

However, I have been wondering what IPS would do next. I was surprised and somewhat disappointed by the announcement of the new compact 14 inch wheel. Apparently they are reluctant to go down the Gotway / KS path of larger, more powerful wheels. I think that is the area of growth in this market. I don't think the 14-inch market is growing much.

Some interesting discussion of the new IPS wheel:

Max, can you control the beeping on your Lhotz? I heard someone say the newer iterations of the Lhotz/app allow that.

I.e. can you change it from beeping at 23kph to something else??

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Max, can you control the beeping on your Lhotz? I heard someone say the newer iterations of the Lhotz/app allow that.

I.e. can you change it from beeping at 23kph to something else??

No, at least not in the version of the app I am using. There is not a setting for the speeds when beeping should occur. However (no one else has reported this that I am aware of), my Lhotz NEVER beeps except in one situation: standing upright and motionless for approximately 2 minutes.

Edited by MaxLinux
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Yep, massive overengineering, that sums it up pretty good what we want. As well as them looking at EVERY component and asking "what if this fails, an how can it fail?".

Also, warnings. The wheel should constantly monitor itself and warn/stop the rider if something is wrong or beyond safety margins.

Didn't realize my problem scared so many people in the industry (well, you)B) Idea: next time we want something from Gotway, we can fake an issue here and voila, improvement coming:D

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

I agree that they need to get out of the mindset of nickel-and-dimming components, doubt there would be many Customers who begrudge spending an extra $50 on a high end GW if they knew everything in the Wheel was massively over-engineered.  

Something expensive but great can be wonderful and satisfying to own.  But an expensive piece of junk is just ridiculous and can make one look the fool.  

No one wants to show that off.  Or think it of himself.  

Agreed, anyone spending on a premium product will likely be quick to spend more to assure that it truly is a premium product.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

Example; instead of testing the EUCs with someone that barely weighs 145 lbs, test it with a total weight mass that exceeds what it's rated for.

Fantastic - I'm a "total weight mass that exceeds what it's rated for."

Attention all EUC manufacturers: please PM me for delivery details, and I will happily test your wheels! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

Some of the oversights EUC manufacturers have when designing their wheels does bother me as well. 

My job of working in the military defense industry probably causes me to be more bothered by some of the designing of the EUCs.  In order to stay competitive, we have to over engineer our products by a large margin. We subject our products to conditions that they will never see in real life.  Maybe the EUC manufacturers should do something similar, but not to the extent we do.  Example; instead of testing the EUCs with someone that barely weighs 145 lbs, test it with a total weight mass that exceeds what it's rated for.

(just my thoughts though.)

Allen

Some of the ECU brands are complete engineering frauds. It's ridiculous what I see. They even show their highly incompetent skill in videos. Lol. Smaking crimp connectors with a press and then soldering afterward, puting silicon caulk  to retain screws, puting caulk on heat Sinks, bending pwm power cables at sharp angles.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Some of the oversights EUC manufacturers have when designing their wheels does bother me as well. 

My job of working in the military defense industry probably causes me to be more bothered by some of the designing of the EUCs.  In order to stay competitive, we have to over engineer our products by a large margin. We subject our products to conditions that they will never see in real life.  Maybe the EUC manufacturers should do something similar, but not to the extent we do.  Example; instead of testing the EUCs with someone that barely weighs 145 lbs, test it with a total weight mass that exceeds what it's rated for.

(just my thoughts though.)

Allen

I strongly agree with that example!  Even if that's the average weight of a man in Southern China (I have no idea), in America even our women on average weigh more than that, and our men weigh almost a third more, with a great many who are heavier.  Testing only with the weight equivalent of a 9th grade boy doesn't tell Americans much about whether a wheel will satisfy or how well it will hold up under ordinary use.

Ideally the thinking among manufacturers would extend to the design and marketing stage, so that the average American wouldn't have only a small selection of wheels to choose from, or be led into a purchase he regrets and would not recommend to others.  

Edited by Dingfelder

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I strongly agree with that example!  Even if that's the average weight of a man in Southern China (I have no idea), in America even our women on average weigh more than that, and our men weigh almost a third more, with a great many who are heavier.  Testing only with the weight equivalent of a 9th grade boy doesn't tell Americans much about whether a wheel will satisfy or how well it will hold up under ordinary use.

Ideally the thinking among manufacturers would extend to the design and marketing stage, so that the average American wouldn't have only a small selection of wheels to choose from, or be led into a purchase he regrets and would not recommend to others.  

Some day you will realize that the American market is not that important anymore. 

USA        300,000,000

CHINA 1,300,000,000

INDIA.  1,2000,000,000

these countries have people jammed packed in super cities. Larger than 10,000,000 each.  This supports infrastructure of trains and small moped vehicles favorable for EUC. 

THE USA is all spread out all over the place because we want or big yards and SUV instead of EUC. We like to show our exsuverance and EUC are just toys for us. Even bus or trains don't work in the USA. They are riden by the poor. 

Edited by Carlos E Rodriguez
  • Upvote 1

You're right that it's nowhere near as important as it used to be.  But it is still an enormous and very affluent market; in fact the biggest market in the world.  We spend more on our pets than people in some countries spend on their parents or children.  

America is hardly the only place in the world where most men are over 145 pounds, either.

And the U.S. has plenty of big cities too.  

Re buses ridden mostly by the poor, I agree  They are a third-rate transportation option at best.  

But some of our subway and train systems are excellent.  I lived in Los Angeles when the subways first came in and wound up taking them to work for years.  They were new, kept clean, and for a while extremely well policed.  In Southern California, people sometimes live hours from where they work, so using a train or train and subway mixed together to go to work could save 20,000 miles a year or more on your car, cut your insurance costs way back, and save you hours of time per day.  That's a huge potential economic boost and quality of life issue.

• Upvote 2