Changing Q5 to X3 - is it a good idea?

majki

Hi all,

I have a general question - should I change my Q5 to X3? I'm not english speaker, but I hope I will explain my issue well enough.

Current situation: I have an Airwheel Q5. I'm satisfied with it, drives great, no issues with the device. My weight is 100kg (220lbs).
I have a luck to work currently near the place I live (about 1,5km) and found an airwheel a nice fun way to get to work and back. 

The problem which I have is the way how sidewalks in my neigbourhood are builded. They are all with an angle to the street, and the angle is not quite small in my opinion. It is of course to let the water goes immediately from sidewalk to the street (I don't know however why it is that steep). 
Because Q5 has two wheels, it naturally goes to one side when I use it on sidewalk. In result I don't feel pretty comfortable and fully stable when I feel pressure on one leg and I have to adjust position to stand upright.
My understanding is that X3 might solve this issue. Analogy I find in the bike - when you drive straight a road which is leaning from right to left, you will feel it if you're driving car (naturally left wheels are lower than right wheels), but if you drive a motorcycle or a bike, obviously it's not an issue.
So - my understanding is that X3 will solve my problem. Can someone share his/her thoughts about it? Maybe someone faced such issue or is using a road/sidewalk/way which is leaning (not sure if it's a right word, but I hope you know what i mean)?

The second question is important as well - I live also uphill - Q5 has no issue at all with climbing up (I would say angle is never more than 10), but X3 has 350W engine, comparing to 800W in Q5. Would that be a problem for X3 (I'm 100kg/220lbs)?
X8 is not an option as it's just too expensive.

Unfortunately there is no option to just try X3 - that would answer all my questions actually. 

Thanks a lot for all your answers and thoughts!

Cheers,
Majki

@majki, Historically in this forum we have found that people do, very rapidly, outgrow twin wheel EUC's for much the reasons you have given. They seem like a good idea but it really only takes a day or two to be competent on a single wheel which has none of the disadvantages of a twin wheel.

What I am not at all sure about is why you are looking at another Airwheel? Their design is outdated now, battery capacity and motor power are both low and electronics certainly not the safest. You only need to look at the number of posts against each manufacturer to see that Gotway, Inmotion and Kingsong have a much higher following.

@Keith

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer. If I got it right, all problems which I experience should be indeed solved with single wheel.

When it comes about the brand. Well, to be honest I just was to limited in my head probably to consider other brands, but I did a small research and here could be potential reasons:
- basically you can't buy Gotway, Inmotion or Kingsong in Switzerland. I found just one Gotway but it looks almost like X3 and the price is 4 times mroe than for X3.
- Aliexpress, when it comes to delivering to CH (which is not EU), either doesn't deliver at all or you have to pay a lot for that. 
- amazon.de - prices are pretty much higher than for airwheels

So airwheels are just a lot cheaper and available (next day delivery guaranteed). 

Question - are brands like Gotway, Inmotion, Kingsong (or maybe others?) produce better 'driving' devices than Airwheel (X3 model in particular)? I mean - more stable/safe/easier to ride? You wrote that electronics is not the safest - do you mean by this that it fails from time to time, or rather that it's just not that good as in other brands (which again has influence on being stable/safe/predictable, etc.)?

Because if it's just about the design/batery capacity/charging time/speed/weight - these are not that important to me in current situation.

Majki

Addition: after some more and mroe reading, I'm confused even more.

There is an option for me to order King Song on Aliexpress with delivery to my friend in UE, like this for example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Model-electric-unicycle-KingSong-KS-16-inch-680WH-840WH-LG-Battery-800w-motor-Max-miles/32761252174.html

The question is - is it not going to be chinese version of KingSong and is it still worth its price.

Airwheel X3 I can buy for around 200 euro (brand new, full warranty etc.)

Majki -- I live on hills too, and weigh close to what you weigh, and that's why I bought a more powerful machine.  You should consider doing that too.  

This is what I found out from reading this forum and watching videos so far:

When the motor is strained too much, it may stop suddenly.  If that happens, you could have a bad crash.  If you weigh a lot, like you and me, the motor is more likely to be pushed beyond its limits. Riding too fast can cause that problem, and riding up hills can do that too.  Quickly changing from a flat road to a hill without dropping your speed can do it.  So there is more safety, especially for a big man, on a big machine.

You might not notice this on a strong machine, but on a weaker machine, it might become a dangerous problem.

You also will get less range out of your machine if you weigh a lot and/or don't have big batteries.  And eventually your batteries will hold less charge too, reducing your range even more.  So if you start out with a machine that already does not have much range, your range may become too small.  

You say your machine now climbs hills fine.  But the machine you are talking about buying may have trouble with your hills ... or climb them fine but use up too much battery power doing it, leaving you with less range and safety.

On another idea -- could you contact a dealer in France or another nearby country and have him order a machine for you at a good price, then pay extra to ship it over to you?  Maybe that is cheaper?  That's what I do when I buy things for relatives in France and Germany -- I go to a site in that country and have them ship it from there, instead of from America, where I live.

6 hours ago, majki said:

Hi all,

I have a general question - should I change my Q5 to X3? I'm not english speaker, but I hope I will explain my issue well enough.

Current situation: I have an Airwheel Q5. I'm satisfied with it, drives great, no issues with the device. My weight is 100kg (220lbs).
I have a luck to work currently near the place I live (about 1,5km) and found an airwheel a nice fun way to get to work and back. 

The problem which I have is the way how sidewalks in my neigbourhood are builded. They are all with an angle to the street, and the angle is not quite small in my opinion. It is of course to let the water goes immediately from sidewalk to the street (I don't know however why it is that steep). 
Because Q5 has two wheels, it naturally goes to one side when I use it on sidewalk. In result I don't feel pretty comfortable and fully stable when I feel pressure on one leg and I have to adjust position to stand upright.
My understanding is that X3 might solve this issue. Analogy I find in the bike - when you drive straight a road which is leaning from right to left, you will feel it if you're driving car (naturally left wheels are lower than right wheels), but if you drive a motorcycle or a bike, obviously it's not an issue.
So - my understanding is that X3 will solve my problem. Can someone share his/her thoughts about it? Maybe someone faced such issue or is using a road/sidewalk/way which is leaning (not sure if it's a right word, but I hope you know what i mean)?

The second question is important as well - I live also uphill - Q5 has no issue at all with climbing up (I would say angle is never more than 10), but X3 has 350W engine, comparing to 800W in Q5. Would that be a problem for X3 (I'm 100kg/220lbs)?
X8 is not an option as it's just too expensive.

Unfortunately there is no option to just try X3 - that would answer all my questions actually. 

Thanks a lot for all your answers and thoughts!

Cheers,
Majki

800W should be the lowest. dont go below 800w motor. 

Another thought is battery pack configuration.  I like to have 4P packs. That mean Parallell cells. It gives a safety margin for Peak current demand. The more parallel the more Peak current available. 

Hi @majki.

All the comments above are most correct... 

Going to a single wheel is a given. 

And while it may be more difficult to get other brands, or would be worth trying. I have upgraded from an X8 to a more powerful wheel, but (via phone app) have locked in a reduced speed limit. Now I usually ride only a bit faster than an Airwheel, but with a lot more reserve power - as a heavier rider, knowing you have torque when you need it is essential.

Hi all,

Thank you very, very much for your answers and opinions! I really appreciate it. I didn't face the problem with device which switched off suddenly (fortunately!) and now I know that making a '200 bucks great deal' could add some additional cost of replacing broken tooths for example..

So - now I know what I should be looking for. One-wheel device with at least 800W engine power.
@Dingfelder - If it will be sent from EU, I have an option to order something to Germany - next to the border there are some places where you can order something to - you pay like 10-15 bucks for a package. So if it would be sent from EU, I can easly order that to Germany. If it's from other region, unfortunately not (customs, taxes, etc.).

Which model I should consider then, preferable one which can be bought from a delaer in Germany/Italy? I found just a moment ago on local market (switzerland) a used ninebot one for 300 bucks, however it's not written which version it is and no pictures provided. No King song's, inmedia's, one used gotway for over 800 bucks, and a lot of airwheels.

Hm, just read that Ninebot one is 450 or 500W. Would that not be for sure enough for me? Ninebot one does not have stronger options (I'm writing about ninebot, because I could probably find it easier on local market)

16 hours ago, majki said:

Hi all,

Thank you very, very much for your answers and opinions! I really appreciate it. I didn't face the problem with device which switched off suddenly (fortunately!) and now I know that making a '200 bucks great deal' could add some additional cost of replacing broken tooths for example..

So - now I know what I should be looking for. One-wheel device with at least 800W engine power.
@Dingfelder - If it will be sent from EU, I have an option to order something to Germany - next to the border there are some places where you can order something to - you pay like 10-15 bucks for a package. So if it would be sent from EU, I can easly order that to Germany. If it's from other region, unfortunately not (customs, taxes, etc.).

Which model I should consider then, preferable one which can be bought from a delaer in Germany/Italy? I found just a moment ago on local market (switzerland) a used ninebot one for 300 bucks, however it's not written which version it is and no pictures provided. No King song's, inmedia's, one used gotway for over 800 bucks, and a lot of airwheels.

Hm, just read that Ninebot one is 450 or 500W. Would that not be for sure enough for me? Ninebot one does not have stronger options (I'm writing about ninebot, because I could probably find it easier on local market)

There's some Ninebot-campaign going on in Italy:  

As for whether it will be powerful enough, I can't say... in general, Ninebots seem to have been usually reliable, but there have been burnt mainboards and such in Ninebots too.

9 hours ago, steve454 said:

how much is it?

Hm, I thought that it's a bit more expensive, but actually I found one shop selling X8 for 500 bucks. As I read some of the stories and started to dig more and more, I guess there are more reliable companies/models (KS?).

9 hours ago, esaj said:

There's some Ninebot-campaign going on in Italy:  

As for whether it will be powerful enough, I can't say... in general, Ninebots seem to have been usually reliable, but there have been burnt mainboards and such in Ninebots too.

Yes, I saw that. It's around 250km from my place to Italy Unieuro nearest shop, but I can have a trip like this. I am concerned if 500W engine is enough (Carlos suggested not to go below 800W). Burning mainboards.. - this i didn't know as well.

I weigh in at 93 kilos, and I've ordered a stronger wheel. Up to now I've ridden the Inmotion V3 450W 144Wh, which like yours is a twin wheeler with the same problems you describe. 450W is enough to handle flat terrain at speeds below 18 kmh and slight slopes, but I know mine strains itself going up- or downhill – enough that I'm avoiding certain paths that I know to be hilly.

As said above, 800W is a good minimum for us heavy-weighters. As soon as you weigh above 80kg approx, the weaker wheels become risky. And even if you don't have an accident, it is frustrating to feel that the wheel is on the limit of what it can take.

Two-wheelers are great for learning to ride, but sloping sidewalks and uneven roads are a hassle. I've learned to handle the problem reasonably well, but it takes some fun out of the riding, when you have to constantly compensate for what is actually the normal road. Absolutely flat roads are very unusual, if for no other reason that they would be wet and slippery with just a little rain.

4 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I weigh in at 93 kilos, and I've ordered a stronger wheel. Up to now I've ridden the Inmotion V3 450W 144Wh, which like yours is a twin wheeler with the same problems you describe. 450W is enough to handle flat terrain at speeds below 18 kmh and slight slopes, but I know mine strains itself going up- or downhill – enough that I'm avoiding certain paths that I know to be hilly.

As said above, 800W is a good minimum for us heavy-weighters. As soon as you weigh above 80kg approx, the weaker wheels become risky. And even if you don't have an accident, it is frustrating to feel that the wheel is on the limit of what it can take.

Two-wheelers are great for learning to ride, but sloping sidewalks and uneven roads are a hassle. I've learned to handle the problem reasonably well, but it takes some fun out of the riding, when you have to constantly compensate for what is actually the normal road. Absolutely flat roads are very unusual, if for no other reason that they would be wet and slippery with just a little rain.

Thanks very much for your feedback. One wheel is the only choice for me - now I know that, your confirmation is just another prove for that - thanks! :)

This 800W - it excludes the ninebot one e+ then. Pity, as it's in 400 bucks deal right now, but I also understand (and agree) that it's better to add some more and have what you will be satisfied with rather than spent 400 and be in position of 'ok, what now'.

Definitely I don't want the 'semi-solutions'.

I have too little experience with different wheels to give a definite advice. I know only what I myself have been looking at.

I looked at a Gotway MSuper V3, but decided it was to bulky. I looked at an Gotway ACM, and it was a clear alternative. I actually planned getting one, until I started looking at the second-hand market.

I looked at Kingsong KS16, which seems pretty nice if slower than Gotway. It was an alternative anyway, for it's ergonomics, trolley-handle and reputation as a reliable wheel.

I looked at Inmotion V8, which seems to be a nice wheel, but with a little bit less range than I'd like. Also the pedals of Inmotion cycles seem at bit small for my feet.

I looked at Rockwheel GT16, which in many ways struck a chord in me. The compactness even with a 16" wheel, the design and the smoothness people that tried it told about. On the other side of the equation are the reports of teething troubles...

In the end I found a second hand GT16 with just 64km of use and went for it. Took a chance on that one, may well turn out to be a mistake - we'll see.

My list of things I wanted in a wheel was:

• 800W minimum power
  • 680 Wh minimum
  • 30+ kmh max speed and 25+ kmh cruising speed.
  • Reasonably large pedals
  • 16" single wheel or more
  • Trolley, internal or external

All the wheels above, except for the Inmotion V8 fits the bill.

1 hour ago, majki said:

Thanks very much for your feedback. One wheel is the only choice for me - now I know that, your confirmation is just another prove for that - thanks! :)

This 800W - it excludes the ninebot one e+ then. Pity, as it's in 400 bucks deal right now, but I also understand (and agree) that it's better to add some more and have what you will be satisfied with rather than spent 400 and be in position of 'ok, what now'.

Definitely I don't want the 'semi-solutions'.

There's a lightly used second-hand KS16 (800W / 640Wh) for sale in the Private Sales, in Sweden: 

Not sure what the final price will be though, or how much the shipping is. Most places still have 1299€ price for a new one with the same battery, but it might come down with the KS16S now in the market for only a few hundred more.

For Switzerland itself, at least these shops are listed, although I haven't checked if they still exist or if the brands mentioned are still right, some shops might have changed their selection (most of the reseller-list was compiled in 2015 and then just updated as new shops were reported or old ones had quit):

Switzerland

Cycletec, Küsnacht: http://www.cycletec.ch/velos-und-e-bikes/solowheel-einrad  Ninebot, Solowheel

E-Ride, Zurich/Horgen, Bern, Geneva: http://www.e-ride.ch/en/ Firstwheel, Ninebot, Airwheel

Einrad Shop, ?: https://www.einradshop.ch/einrad-shop/de/87-e-einrad  IPS

Kite-Shop.ch, Goldau: http://www.kite-shop.ch/de/evo-skates-elektro-kickboard-trotti/e-balance-scooter  IPS

LED Workshop, Thörigen: http://ledwerkstatt.ch/produkt/stehroller-ninebot-one-e/  Ninebot

Mein Solowheel, Schwerzenbach?: http://meinsolowheel.ch/ Solowheel

My-Wheel, Frenkendorf: http://www.my-wheel.ch/  Ninebot, IPS

Rollster, Oberkulm:  http://rollster.ch/ninebot-one  Ninebot

SBUV3, Unterwasser: http://www.sbuv3.ch/index.php/de/  Solowheel, Hovertrax, SBUV3

Stay Mobile, multiple dealers/cities:  http://www.stay-mobile.ch/dealers.html  Ninebot

Superwheel, Winterthur: http://www.superwheels.ch/  Superwheel

The Airwheel, E-Ride affiliate?:  http://theairwheel.ch/  Ninebot, Fastwheel, F-wheel

WheelzWorld, Carouge:  http://www.wheelzworld.com/welcome.php   Gotway

The second hand one seems interesting and I saw already this offer, but I'm not sure what about the shipping. In addition there will be also customs fee, as Switzerland is not a part of EU. I sent also an e-mail to kingsong (as few of swiss members did some time ago and they shipped directly to them).

Links - I reviewed all of them (in resellers topic). Some of them are not valid anymore, some sell only airwheel (which is not a case anymore) or ninebot, which as community says - would be too weak for me (500W).

Others do not offer a price on the page and for me it seems that they are just middlemen taking some provision and the device would be sent from China anyway.

29 minutes ago, majki said:

The second hand one seems interesting and I saw already this offer, but I'm not sure what about the shipping. In addition there will be also customs fee, as Switzerland is not a part of EU. I sent also an e-mail to kingsong (as few of swiss members did some time ago and they shipped directly to them).

Links - I reviewed all of them (in resellers topic). Some of them are not valid anymore, some sell only airwheel (which is not a case anymore) or ninebot, which as community says - would be too weak for me (500W).

Others do not offer a price on the page and for me it seems that they are just middlemen taking some provision and the device would be sent from China anyway.

I think the second hand market is obviously the way to go for you. If shipping/customs costs are going to be high then you can off-set that by saving money by buying second hand. Keep your eyes peeled on the private sales section of the forum.

For 1st hand, have you tried http://electro-sport.de/. They have a great reputation and wide selection of wheels. You could message them and see how much their shipping is etc. I've heard good things.

One option, whether 1st hand or 2nd hand, is the IPS Lhotz. It was my first wheel and an excellent one.You might be able to find it for a great price.

20 hours ago, Scatcat said:

You'd probably get hit with 8% VAT in Switzerland... Second hand or not.

Vat rather not, actually with lower VAT in Switzerland, you can get it back if you bought it abroad. However, if you bring something worth more than 200 or 300 bucks, you will have to pay tax.

I think for now I will keep looking around on local market - maybe something in reasonable price will appear.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, he's organizing a manifestation for the rights of euc's in Switzerland on 24 June at 1:30 p.m.  I will be there for sure.  Additional information can be found on his website calendar

@majki by googling "kingsong schweiz" i just found www.electro-sport.de who delivers to switzerland (happens somehow over meineinkauf.ch for the same price as in germany and delivered within 2-3 days). I have no experience with any of these two sides, but maybe this can help you to a nice EUC!

One of the next hits was http://www.kingsong.ch/ who sell KS18 with the necessary swiss ?authorisation/approval/admission? - i did not find a price there, but maybe also something interesting?

Archived