Jump to content
Hatchet

Absolutely gutted :*(

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

One thing I've noticed with EUCs is how old, immobile people must see the street and walkways (the people you hear about who are afraid to leave the house in winter due to fear of ice, for example). Erstwhile inconsequential bumps, curbs, ruts, side tilts, uneven spots, cracks, leaves and dirt, potholes, puddles - suddenly these are make-or-break. No wheelchair ramps and you'd have to take stairs? EUCs make you notice!

In the same vein as the preceding post, might be a good talking point.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

One thing I've noticed with EUCs is how old, immobile people must see the street and walkways (the people you hear about who are afraid to leave the house in winter due to fear of ice, for example). Erstwhile inconsequential bumps, curbs, ruts, side tilts, uneven spots, cracks, leaves and dirt, potholes, puddles - suddenly these are make-or-break. No wheelchair ramps and you'd have to take stairs? EUCs make you notice!

In the same vein as the preceding post, might be a good talking point.

I couldn't help thinking, while reading this, how often it goes the opposite way too.  So often elders get careless, too, or ferociously interested in asserting their independence and ability whether it has been questioned or not.  My mother, for example, is getting more careless and devil-may-care all the time, and any safety issue or problem is no problem at all.  Which is fine until you have a problem that really deserves addressing ... at which point it becomes almost impossible to address because it is, after all, no problem at all.

Getting old is confusing and hard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was some discussion about these self-balancing wheelchairs hitting the market.

A EUC is just one wheel less.  Who said mobility devices can't be fun?  Do they expect everyone to only ride these?

9.jpg

If they allow people with disabilities to ride EUCs, can they discriminate against able-bodied people who want to ride them too?  If I chose to ride a wheelchair, electric wheelchair, four wheeled electric scooter, or EUC why can't I do it if people with disabilities can ride them?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, steve454 said:

That means that anywhere Segway is permitted, you can ride a Ninebot.

I can't tell whether this is written "tongue in cheek" or not, but just to keep things clear, I doubt if ANY law, ordinance, by-law, statute or regulation anywhere in the world refers to a Segway by its brand name. They would almost certainly be described in generic terms according to its form and function. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There was some discussion about these self-balancing wheelchairs hitting the market.

A EUC is just one wheel less.  Who said mobility devices can't be fun?  Do they expect everyone to only ride these?

9.jpg

If they allow people with disabilities to ride EUCs, can they discriminate against able-bodied people who want to ride them too?  If I chose to ride a wheelchair, electric wheelchair, four wheeled electric scooter, or EUC why can't I do it if people with disabilities can ride them?

Lol. Because you don't have a disability. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Lol. Because you don't have a disability. 

But that doesn't mean he isn't handicapped...

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mental disability for obsessively frequenting EUC forums may not be overtly apparent to non-forum visitors, but I do rely on riding my Ninebot personal mobility device to help me get away from the computer to help alleviate my infirmity.  :innocent1:

And indeed my golf handicap is also helped greatly when riding from tee to tee and to the clubhouse!

Hey people take pigs on flights as emotional support animals.  I consider my Ninebot my emotional support device.  Or are we going to start discriminating against non-animal support aids and the mentally / emotionally :cry2: afflicted?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My mental disability for obsessively frequenting EUC forums may not be overtly apparent to non-forum visitors, but I do rely on riding my Ninebot personal mobility device to help me get away from the computer to help alleviate my infirmity.  :innocent1:

And indeed my golf handicap is also helped greatly when riding from tee to tee and to the clubhouse!

Hey people take pigs on flights as emotional support animals.  I consider my Ninebot my emotional support device.  Or are we going to start discriminating against non-animal support aids and the mentally / emotionally :cry2: afflicted?

Since it has power, you could add anatomically preference appendages and call it your GF or BF based of added anatomical parts to the EUC. Maybe even marry it and take life insurance on it so if it crashes you can collect.

Or called your child with birth day of purchase receipt so you can take a tax credit of a dependent. I think that is what @Marty Backe is doing by buying all those EUC's.

LOL

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dmethvin said:

As far as accessibility goes, in the US you are allowed to choose your assistive device. If you have a disability they have to let you ride it if practical (for example they may require that it doesn't take up more than half of the trail or path). Parks have their own rules and it's always important to check, but they can't contradict the ADA rules:

An entity that determines it can accommodate one or more types of OPDMDs in its facility is allowed to ask the person using the device to provide credible assurance that the device is used because of a disability. If the person presents a valid, State-issued disability parking placard or card or a State-issued proof of disability, that must be accepted as credible assurance on its face. If the person does not have this documentation, but states verbally that the OPDMD is being used because of a mobility disability, that also must be accepted as credible assurance, unless the person is observed doing something that contradicts the assurance. For example, if a person is observed running and jumping, that may be evidence that contradicts the person's assertion of a mobility disability. However, it is very important for covered entities and their staff to understand that the fact that a person with a disability is able to walk for a short distance does not necessarily contradict a verbal assurance -- many people with mobility disabilities can walk, but need their mobility device for longer distances or uneven terrain. This is particularly true for people who lack stamina, have poor balance, or use mobility devices because of respiratory, cardiac, or neurological disabilities. A covered entity cannot ask people about their disabilities.  https://www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm

This is fantastic. I wonder if Canada has something similar to the ADA that could be helpful to @Hatchet?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, dbfrese said:

I can't tell whether this is written "tongue in cheek" or not, but just to keep things clear, I doubt if ANY law, ordinance, by-law, statute or regulation anywhere in the world refers to a Segway by its brand name. They would almost certainly be described in generic terms according to its form and function. 

Yes, it was supposed to be "tongue in cheek", but I am pretty sure I've read more than once that Segways have gotten permissions, for example downtown Dallas has Segway tours on the sidewalks.  Might just be a local agreement with the city, though.:unsure:  But I could probably tag along behind the tour on my Ninebot and not get stopped by the police.  Maybe if I put a large Segway sticker on it:rolleyes: I could ride almost anywhere.

That reminds me, my favorite place to ride is a large park with some long biking and hiking trails.  There are a few signs that say no unauthorized motor vehicles.  I try to keep a low profile and always give right of way in the hopes that no one will call in on me and complain.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, steve454 said:

That reminds me, my favorite place to ride is a large park with some long biking and hiking trails.  There are a few signs that say no unauthorized motor vehicles.  I try to keep a low profile and always give right of way in the hopes that no one will call in on me and complain.

I love riding in the city parks! They do post those pesky 'No Motorized Vehicle Allowed' signs on the bike paths but so far I have not been questioned or stopped. I wave to the park rangers and they reciprocate. I suppose if there were a large group of riders it might become an issue but currently only my grandson and myself have EUCs in the area.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada has no ADA, it's been on the table since the mid-90's but never has happened.

There really isn't much i can do but carry my med info and hope a cop will listen rather than a power trip, and make me go to court to get my wheel back or avoid a stupid fine.

I passed by two cop cars today on my way home from work, and my heart was in my throat but neither stopped me. I can't believe I have to glide in freaking fear of the "man" like I'm some dumb kid on a skateboard or something. Shameful.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I passed by two cop cars today on my way home from work, and my heart was in my throat but neither stopped me.

You should be fine! Just don't let the cops know who you really are!  :P

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being able to confiscate property like that sucks.  The government should have to go through serious hoops to be able to confiscate property unless it's a specific and immediate threat, the same way they do here in the States when trying to figure out whether to hold a potentially suicidal person overnight.  If I speak vaguely of suicide but have no real plan or time when I say I might do it, I'm probably not a threat to myself yet.  And re seizing property, if I threaten someone with a chainsaw, perhaps the cops should be able to confiscate it, at least temporarily.  But they shouldn't have the right to grab chainsaws out of people's houses randomly, or even just because someone is angry.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

You should be fine! Just don't let the cops know who you really are!  :P

 

:roflmao:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprise Alberta as a conservative province (or used to be) with such gov't overreach. Used to it on the left coast, but I thought smarter heads prevail in Alberta.

We have a long weekend, supposed to finally be nice weather, so I hope the MAN doesn't take me down for my dastardly crime of riding my EUC<_<

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I'm surprise Alberta as a conservative province (or used to be) with such gov't overreach. Used to it on the left coast, but I thought smarter heads prevail in Alberta.

We have a long weekend, supposed to finally be nice weather, so I hope the MAN doesn't take me down for my dastardly crime of riding my EUC<_<

Pimpin' ain't easy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't let it bother me too much, but I just keep aware that what I'm doing isn't technically legal.  It's kind of like how street hockey isn't legal, but people do it anyways.  All those little criminals playing hockey in the streets - they really should fine all those law breakers rather than pick on us EUC riders.  :efefe00999:  It's funny how unevenly the law is applied where sometimes it's okay even though it's not legal, and other times they have to bring the law down on others.  I hear the police have a quota system where they need to give out so many tickets per officer so at times they have to go infraction hunting.  It's nice to see where your tax dollars are going in battling the real crimes!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I don't let it bother me too much, but I just keep aware that what I'm doing isn't technically legal.  It's kind of like how street hockey isn't legal, but people do it anyways.  All those little criminals playing hockey in the streets - they really should fine all those law breakers rather than pick on us EUC riders.  :efefe00999:  It's funny how unevenly the law is applied where sometimes it's okay even though it's not legal, and other times they have to bring the law down on others.  I hear the police have a quota system where they need to give out so many tickets per officer so at times they have to go infraction hunting.  It's nice to see where your tax dollars are going in battling the real crimes!

Yeah, though they deny it for the most part.  When I used to work downtown in Los Angeles they would come out around the 21st of the month to try to get all their tickets at once.  Sometimes there were a couple of squad cars per block for a few blocks on the last stretches approaching freeway onramps, causing traffic jams, and normally we would never see the police out and about.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2017 at 8:56 PM, JimB said:

So, just as a point of comparison Seattle is a little strange here also.  We actually have a specific law PERMITTING EUCs.  I wonder if it's because Solowheel HQ is in Washington?

What's weird though is that the EUC is only permitted on sidewalks.  There are bike lanes all over, but you have to ride it among the pedestrians.  So, a motorized wheel that can do 20 mph must ride on the sidewalk with the pedestrians - who are all heads down looking at their cell phones!

(Bicycles are permitted on road AND sidewalk.)

P.S.  The cell phone thing drives me nuts.  You wouldn't believe the number of people who don't even look up when crossing a street.  Headphones in - head down - perfect way to cross a busy intersection.  Didn't their mothers ever teach them anything?  Seems like Darwin could have a field day here.

Just to clarify: the WA state law allows us not only on sidewalks, but also residential streets. Bike lanes are more of a grey area. Lots of us ride there with not much balking from cyclists though, and most will agree we should ride where we match speed with others.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been researching my local EUC/Segway laws and I did notice a strong pattern.

Affluent locals have progressive and encourage the use of electrically-powered vehicles such as Segways, EUCs, and skateboards. Both sidewalk and road use is allowable. Not every single local but most have these rules, with due care on the part of the rider.

The poor neighborhoods are more restrictive to the point of skateboards, anything motorized are not allowed anywhere except on private property (and even then only if they are not being a nuisance nor a danger). For example, as far as I can tell the city of Hazelwood does not allow EUCs, Segways, or anything electrical anywhere. Even skateboards and rollerblades are not allowed on the street nor on the sidewalk and bicycles are not allowed on roads that have more than one lane.

Fortunately where I live I can ride on the sidewalk like a pedestrian, or go on the road like a bicyclists, and use all park roads.

Interestingly, I can also use the EUC inside of public access areas if I have a physical condition. I do have minor bursitis in my hip; if I were to get a doctor's note then I could choose my EUC as my assistive device and, you know, ride it around inside Walmart.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This had me worried but at least in California it looks like we are ok.   I found this previous post.

Made me happy!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HeavyGoing said:

This had me worried but at least in California it looks like we are ok.   I found this previous post.

Made me happy!

Yeah, in California we're good. We've still been kicked off a few trails from 'rangers' that blindly think that since the wheel has a motor, it's a motor vehicle, and thus not allowed. Usually it's not worth the fight to contest their opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×