New IPS i5 announcement - some interesting innovations

Tilmann

haha, sorry, I5 tests are over now, and I5 has been started to sell, so that if you want to test you can buy one, haha, and welcome feedback!:P:clap3:

And here I will post some pics from one of our customers who come to company. then ride I5 away!!!! 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 王月月 said:

haha, sorry, I5 tests are over now, and I5 has been started to sell, so that if you want to test you can buy one, haha, and welcome feedback!:P:clap3: 

Don't worry, @王月月, we happily accept S5's in any development state for testing :dribble:

Ever since building the testing facility for you, we had to use boring cars and tanks to try it out. What is missing in these pictures? You're right: fancy new IPS unicycles!!!

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

Too bad no English subtitles (made me quit halfway through) but otherwise, that's a righteous video!

Pssst ... quiet please ... an English version would give away, that it was built in the 1930ies ... but I'm working on convincing IPS we made it juuuuust for their wheels :ph34r::whistling::ph34r:

On 26/5/2017 at 8:53 AM, MaxLinux said:

That is a perfect facility for EUC testing!

Why was this facility built? I tried to find out by searching Google, but I did not find an explanation.

I saw a video showing that location as a test facility for Benz Trucks just yesterday. I'll try to find it and link it below ... it's just 3 comments above this! haha

On 25/5/2017 at 5:02 PM, RooMiniPro said:

From what IPS said they have apparently begun shipping to European customers. Does anyone have one yet?

I tried it in Shanghai. I will be looking forward to having them. I really think it's a break through in design.

3 minutes ago, IPS Malta said:

I tried it in Shanghai. I will be looking forward to having them. I really think it's a break through in design.

Thanks for sharing this.  It looks like something quite special and unique in the EUC market. I wish the camera operator knew how to use a camera though. 

Would I be right to think that the design uses the entire chassis as a big heatsink? So it should stay cooler on long rides than typical plastic covered EUCs?

10 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Would I be right to think that the design uses the entire chassis as a big heatsink? So it should stay cooler on long rides than typical plastic covered EUCs?

IPS have made their R&D and ideally they should explain to you how it works. It is simple but not that simple ;) Think about it this way. They designed a reliable product and they thought beyond their ideas. at least that's how I see it.

1 hour ago, IPS Malta said:

IPS have made their R&D and ideally they should explain to you how it works. It is simple but not that simple ;) Think about it this way. They designed a reliable product and they thought beyond their ideas. at least that's how I see it.

You just wrote a full paragraph without answering the question and really, without actually saying anything at all. Are you a politician? ?

1 hour ago, RooMiniPro said:

You just wrote a full paragraph without answering the question and really, without actually saying anything at all. Are you a politician? ?

Well seems like i'm learning to be :P. The thing is that I'm not an IPS engineer, I just trade IPS. In the end I can only give you my opinion which I strongly believe that yes the shell also acts as a heatsink, but it's not just mainboard to heatsink thing. You can see from the marketing video how it is inside.

Yeah please tell us why you think it's so great.  You don't have to be an engineer to explain to us why you formed your own opinion.

1.  Saying you think it's a "breakthrough in design," for instance, makes me wonder if you are talking about the looks alone or anything else.

2.  Saying they "designed a reliable product" ... how would you know?  It's fresh on the market.

3.  Saying the engineers "thought beyond their ideas" .... what do you mean?

I have had many unicycles and the IPS continues to be my favorit.

Unfortunately, in my opinion IPS continues to fail to understand the market. Safety, big batteries and a trolley handle are a must.

IPSs are safe, smooth confortable ride, but very small batteries and no integrated handles.

I will buy an IPS again when they come out with this, untill then i rather have a unicycle that I dont like but that gets me to my destination...

3 minutes ago, PTrider said:

Unfortunately, in my opinion IPS continues to fail to understand the market. Safety, big batteries and a trolley handle are a must.

For you, personally, yes.  But there are plenty of people who don't want big heavy EUCs with large batteries and trolley handles.  Some people want something that's as light and compact and slim as possible, that can take them wherever they need to go in an urban setting.  There is definitely a market for the smaller, lighter, more compact wheels.

On 28/5/2017 at 9:58 PM, Dingfelder said:

Yeah please tell us why you think it's so great.  You don't have to be an engineer to explain to us why you formed your own opinion.

1.  Saying you think it's a "breakthrough in design," for instance, makes me wonder if you are talking about the looks alone or anything else.

2.  Saying they "designed a reliable product" ... how would you know?  It's fresh on the market.

3.  Saying the engineers "thought beyond their ideas" .... what do you mean?

On 28/5/2017 at 5:19 PM, RooMiniPro said:

Thanks for sharing this.  It looks like something quite special and unique in the EUC market. I wish the camera operator knew how to use a camera though. 

First of all.... sorry for being too long, but if you want to know my first hand experience on i5 this is it. If somethings don't make much sense question. I just woke up so bare with me and my mind ;)

Well, I was there and met the minds behind it (with a huge language barrier unfortunately). I am frequent rider of the IPS LHOTZ and Zero and use it often for work. All of the IPS have their target market, but the I5 is the one that should make a good entry in the everyday use unicycle.

The LHOTZ is good for bumpy roads and to carry heavy stuff (Occasionally I carry computer towers with it haha), but it's weight is too much to be carrying it even that small distances (such as some flight of stairs). The zero is better for the latter as its a lighter wheel. Never the less they are still a bit bulky. Immagine you have to carry it in a shopping mall as they won't allow you to ride inside.

Although both the LHOTZ and Zero are nice for long distance rides, I manage to use a battery charge a whole week and a second charge for a weekend ride.

Also getting steady on the Zero after the LHOTZ took me some extra hours (mostly exhibiting in a fair)

The i5 was a different story. Although it's not the most aesthetically nice of EUC in market, it's still appealing enough. If you have a LHOTZ and the Zero, the aesthetics are in between. It's much lighter, this means carrying around 2-3kg less makes a complete difference, but more than the weight it's the slimness. the 6cm wide makes literally easy to carry. With other models and competing EUC, you will find carrying around will always put that little but frustrating pressure on your legs. The I5 literally as someone mentioned before is a suitcase design.

Getting to try it, well it felt really natural after 3 weeks not riding a unicycle. The visit to IPS was in my last days in my 1 month visit to China in order to see the almost released product (released to date). Sadly enough I couldn't take my wheel half way across the world and I admit I was eagerly looking forward to try it after 3 weeks. (I think buying a flight for 11 hrs in Shanghai to try it makes me an EUC adict). If you see the video above, I only tried it before indoors for something like 30-45 seconds. What I noticed is that my ankles had more clearance so new rider should be effected less while training. As for the pressure on the calf, since the design is slightly higher pressure was much more dispersed. Coming to this since the design is taller, the physics of leverage also reduces the strain from the shell (considering that the Shell now is also the supporting chassis)

The battery design... they are using batteries that can use more of the battery compartment, meaning there is more possibility for stored energy in them. You can read more on 20700 on internet. They are stored on the upper side of the wheel together with the main board. This makes the wheel much more balanced than having batteries on one side and board on the other.

Final Conclusion, the design at first glance is the perfect match for an everyday commute user and new users. It allows me to travel across half my country at least if it was flat but IMO it's well beyond most common requirement. It is perfect to your last mile travels allowing you to reach public transport or your destination from your parking space. If you're a yacht owner, it won't take much space on the boat so it's perfect for the pier and nearby the port travels. If you are intending to travel long distances, then the LHOTZ will meet all the road conditions you might meet, but the shorter more common travels will go to the i5 (compared to cars, it's like having an SUV and a city car respectively). Moreover for the break through, coming back passing from security check there was mentioned on a screen in Shanghai airport that maximum allowed battery is 160wh ... the lower capacity battery is 167wh to my knowledge .... well now it's getting really close to some airline requirements for sure but I'm not sure to which countries should this apply. Always check with airlines about this.

BTW the safety cut-out did changed slightly too. It's some formula about current to rpm on the motor. I didn't want to try on a prototype without safety gear though ;) ohhh and the night light besides being improved as for visibility, you no longer need the app to turn it on, it has no button and no ambient light sensor but it takes motor parameters to turn on... sorry I have to put some curiosity ;)

On 2017-5-18 at 7:37 AM, Bat said:

What a BS. How could a wheel be too thin? When I tested my friend's Zero I loved there are no pads, because... I don't ride with my knees pressing the pads. I don't know any experienced rider who does that. Doing this makes you tired a lot faster. The muscles should be relaxed and in natural, straight position. Thinner unicycle means no contact with the casing.

Of course, no experienced rider rides with their knees pressing the pads. Yet, I do prefer to have contact with the wheel not only through my soles but also through my lower legs. This contact becomes rather unavoidable when executing one-footed mounting. It also seems to be very helpful for steep climbs, when the effective contact surface to the pedals becomes small (in the limit it is only the front edge of the pedals). This contact doesn't make the ride less relaxed, but possibly more controlled. Of course, it's not a big deal to pad a thin wheel up to the desired width, while that doesn't work the other way around B)

The I5 fits a specific market. Short distance, city commute, last mile. My only dislike it that is too tall. I think the I5 would better if the was less tall by putting the batteries on the left and right side like the MCM4 HS. 

They should turn a second design right away with 2.125 or 2.5 inch wide tire. Also 2 battery packs one on the left and one of the right. Batteries on the side will make the wheel more compact like the MCM4. 

So what I would like is a wheel the size of an MCM4, less that 10kg. With 32kph or faster speed and 35 to40km range.

On 5/25/2017 at 8:07 AM, Tilmann said:

Yep, have to credit Ferenc (www.electro-sport.de) for learning about this place. Unfortunately, it's pretty central in the middle of nowhere :P.

Found another interesting video demonstrating the IPS I5 with @Hirsute style elegance: https://www.facebook.com/1593003297614828/videos/1879820735599748/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

He should wear nice business suit, riding his briefcase. That is more fun.

On 2017-6-11 at 6:45 PM, RooMiniPro said:

Does no one here have one of these wheels yet? 

350W and 240Wh is a rather unusual target specification for members of this forum.

I am puzzled, it has the dimensions of 468 X 364 X 110mm, but is 6cm thin. How does this go together? The folded pedals add 5cm? 

53 minutes ago, Mono said:

I am puzzled, it has the dimensions of 468 X 364 X 110mm, but is 6cm thin. How does this go together? The folded pedals add 5cm? 

6 cm at the body and 11 cm including folded pedals?

Archived