Tilmann

New IPS i5 announcement - some interesting innovations

haha, sorry, I5 tests are over now, and I5 has been started to sell, so that if you want to test you can buy one, haha, and welcome feedback!:P:clap3:

And here I will post some pics from one of our customers who come to company. then ride I5 away!!!! 

• Upvote 2

Too bad no English subtitles (made me quit halfway through) but otherwise, that's a righteous video!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

Too bad no English subtitles (made me quit halfway through) but otherwise, that's a righteous video!

Pssst ... quiet please ... an English version would give away, that it was built in the 1930ies ... but I'm working on convincing IPS we made it juuuuust for their wheels :ph34r::whistling::ph34r:

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 26/5/2017 at 8:53 AM, MaxLinux said:

That is a perfect facility for EUC testing!

Why was this facility built? I tried to find out by searching Google, but I did not find an explanation.

I saw a video showing that location as a test facility for Benz Trucks just yesterday. I'll try to find it and link it below ... it's just 3 comments above this! haha

Edited by IPS Malta

On 25/5/2017 at 5:02 PM, RooMiniPro said:

From what IPS said they have apparently begun shipping to European customers. Does anyone have one yet?

I tried it in Shanghai. I will be looking forward to having them. I really think it's a break through in design.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, IPS Malta said:

I tried it in Shanghai. I will be looking forward to having them. I really think it's a break through in design.

Thanks for sharing this.  It looks like something quite special and unique in the EUC market. I wish the camera operator knew how to use a camera though. 

Would I be right to think that the design uses the entire chassis as a big heatsink? So it should stay cooler on long rides than typical plastic covered EUCs?

10 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Would I be right to think that the design uses the entire chassis as a big heatsink? So it should stay cooler on long rides than typical plastic covered EUCs?

IPS have made their R&D and ideally they should explain to you how it works. It is simple but not that simple ;) Think about it this way. They designed a reliable product and they thought beyond their ideas. at least that's how I see it.

1 hour ago, IPS Malta said:

IPS have made their R&D and ideally they should explain to you how it works. It is simple but not that simple ;) Think about it this way. They designed a reliable product and they thought beyond their ideas. at least that's how I see it.

You just wrote a full paragraph without answering the question and really, without actually saying anything at all. Are you a politician? ?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RooMiniPro said:

You just wrote a full paragraph without answering the question and really, without actually saying anything at all. Are you a politician? ?

Well seems like i'm learning to be :P. The thing is that I'm not an IPS engineer, I just trade IPS. In the end I can only give you my opinion which I strongly believe that yes the shell also acts as a heatsink, but it's not just mainboard to heatsink thing. You can see from the marketing video how it is inside.

Yeah please tell us why you think it's so great.  You don't have to be an engineer to explain to us why you formed your own opinion.

1.  Saying you think it's a "breakthrough in design," for instance, makes me wonder if you are talking about the looks alone or anything else.

2.  Saying they "designed a reliable product" ... how would you know?  It's fresh on the market.

3.  Saying the engineers "thought beyond their ideas" .... what do you mean?

• Upvote 1

I have had many unicycles and the IPS continues to be my favorit.

Unfortunately, in my opinion IPS continues to fail to understand the market. Safety, big batteries and a trolley handle are a must.

IPSs are safe, smooth confortable ride, but very small batteries and no integrated handles.

I will buy an IPS again when they come out with this, untill then i rather have a unicycle that I dont like but that gets me to my destination...

3 minutes ago, PTrider said:

Unfortunately, in my opinion IPS continues to fail to understand the market. Safety, big batteries and a trolley handle are a must.

For you, personally, yes.  But there are plenty of people who don't want big heavy EUCs with large batteries and trolley handles.  Some people want something that's as light and compact and slim as possible, that can take them wherever they need to go in an urban setting.  There is definitely a market for the smaller, lighter, more compact wheels.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but some of them have trolley handles too.

Posted (edited)
On 2017-5-18 at 7:37 AM, Bat said:

What a BS. How could a wheel be too thin? When I tested my friend's Zero I loved there are no pads, because... I don't ride with my knees pressing the pads. I don't know any experienced rider who does that. Doing this makes you tired a lot faster. The muscles should be relaxed and in natural, straight position. Thinner unicycle means no contact with the casing.

Of course, no experienced rider rides with their knees pressing the pads. Yet, I do prefer to have contact with the wheel not only through my soles but also through my lower legs. This contact becomes rather unavoidable when executing one-footed mounting. It also seems to be very helpful for steep climbs, when the effective contact surface to the pedals becomes small (in the limit it is only the front edge of the pedals). This contact doesn't make the ride less relaxed, but possibly more controlled. Of course, it's not a big deal to pad a thin wheel up to the desired width, while that doesn't work the other way around B)

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

The I5 fits a specific market. Short distance, city commute, last mile. My only dislike it that is too tall. I think the I5 would better if the was less tall by putting the batteries on the left and right side like the MCM4 HS. 

They should turn a second design right away with 2.125 or 2.5 inch wide tire. Also 2 battery packs one on the left and one of the right. Batteries on the side will make the wheel more compact like the MCM4. 

So what I would like is a wheel the size of an MCM4, less that 10kg. With 32kph or faster speed and 35 to40km range.

Edited by Carlos E Rodriguez
  • Upvote 1

On 5/25/2017 at 8:07 AM, Tilmann said:

Yep, have to credit Ferenc (www.electro-sport.de) for learning about this place. Unfortunately, it's pretty central in the middle of nowhere :P.

Found another interesting video demonstrating the IPS I5 with @Hirsute style elegance: https://www.facebook.com/1593003297614828/videos/1879820735599748/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

He should wear nice business suit, riding his briefcase. That is more fun.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 2017-6-11 at 6:45 PM, RooMiniPro said:

Does no one here have one of these wheels yet? 

350W and 240Wh is a rather unusual target specification for members of this forum.

Edited by Mono

Posted (edited)

I am puzzled, it has the dimensions of 468 X 364 X 110mm, but is 6cm thin. How does this go together? The folded pedals add 5cm? 

Edited by Mono

53 minutes ago, Mono said:

I am puzzled, it has the dimensions of 468 X 364 X 110mm, but is 6cm thin. How does this go together? The folded pedals add 5cm? 

6 cm at the body and 11 cm including folded pedals?