Dingfelder

coming soon - my first EUC! MSuper 3

214 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I'll try it because I think seated riding looks amazingly cool ...

I second this!

But I also gotta admit that seating has become my 2nd nature and i no longer stand up to the point i forgot how to maneuver like before. yes...I'M lazy

5 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Thanks for asking!

Unfortunately my ankle, though it doesn't throb anymore, is still hard to put weight on confidently.  It's especially stiff when I wake up, giving me a quick warning that I'd better watch my step -- literally.  I don't feel it's safe to try riding when I'm not comfortable walking yet.  It would just be asking for trouble.

I am now the proud owner of three more rolls of tape,though, one black and two yellow.  One black one is already on the MSuper.  I'll see if I can get an interesting color scheme going.  For now that's all I can do.

Also my seat came in!  I think the MSuper is too short to be rideable with a seat, but come the day, I'll try it because I think seated riding looks amazingly cool ... and a good way to change position if you have the anatomy and flexibility for it on your particular EUC.  I also got my advanced charger from Jason too.

And I got some hiking poles ... they look like ski poles and were about 15 bucks at Walmart.  But they're meant for use on trails.  I think they might help me with my learning, especially considering how slow I go.  They don't look robust enough to be useful at anything but pretty low speeds. Just for catching me when I lean.

I have to say, those poles sound very dangerous when riding an EUC. I don't think I'd even one to ride with them at my skill level.

That being said, if they actually help you then power to you :cheers:

Posted (edited)

Don't buy too many of these rolls. I bought 4 initially and used them on my ACM because it got banged up hard on the first ride and was too little cushioned then. Since the wait time for a new wheel (due to frying it), I now have 12 unused rolls (result of "Think of all the possible colors and patters you might do!" buying spree) of that crap here, and no longer felt like needing any padding (and didn't) ever since I got a wheel again - well, 150€ or so well spent:whistling:

Consider the seat as a nice rain guard to protect the switch and USB on top of the wheel, if nothing else.

Not a big fan of the pole idea. You already know how to ride, this stuff is probably counterproductive. When you're ready, step on your msuper and accelerate more than you could/would with your generic, and you'll be riding happily! (faster is easier than slow)

Hope your ankle gets better soon, but this kind of injury does take quite long to heal fully (where you no longer feel something). Some day you'll riiiiiiiide:)

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Imagine this: You're out cross country EUCing with your ski poles down your very favorite trail. It's a beautiful day, quite lovely, so lovely in fact that bluebird flew down and perched on your shoulder for a quarter mile of your journey. The bluebird flies off and you round the bend, and well I'll be if it isn't nice old Mrs. Johnson on an afternoon hike! As you pass her you give her a friendly wave forgetting your ski poles. 

Now Mrs. Johnson's eyeball is on the end of your ski pole and you've got a huge apology to draft. 

must be frustrating - hope your ankle heals up. any pics of msuper? :)

33 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

As you pass her you give her a friendly wave forgetting your ski poles. 

Now Mrs. Johnson's eyeball is on the end of your ski pole and you've got a huge apology to draft. 

That's why you take a couple of old golf balls, drill into them with a bit just slightly smaller than the tips of the poles, and cap those suckers with the golf balls.  Then Mrs. Johnson only has a black eye.:w00t2:

Or a golf ball instead of an eye.

But Mrs. Johnson was a b**ch anyways;)

7 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Careful planting a pole. When I was starting grabbing onto stuff as I rolled by did more harm than good. 

Yeah I'm not sure how much sense they make ... but even if they just help me get up and running and then I immediately throw them down, it's worth the 15 buck investment.  

But you can ride your smaller wheel, no?

The MSuper is an easy wheel to ride, really easy to just get on and roll, do easy turns, and especially at lower speeds. Your pedals might not be wide enough but your body adjusts.

If you can ride your little wheel then you'll find the MSuper to be significantly easier to ride. I dropped my MSuper once, from a standstill, when a pedestrian rammed into me while he was running and looking in a different direction. Otherwise it's pretty hard to drop because everything happens so slow. It's a pig, but maybe in a good way.

If not for the price and possible vulnerability to damage when dropped, I'd say the MSuper is bizarrely a great beginner wheel. 

7 hours ago, LanghamP said:

But you can ride your smaller wheel, no?

The MSuper is an easy wheel to ride, really easy to just get on and roll, do easy turns, and especially at lower speeds. Your pedals might not be wide enough but your body adjusts.

If you can ride your little wheel then you'll find the MSuper to be significantly easier to ride. I dropped my MSuper once, from a standstill, when a pedestrian rammed into me while he was running and looking in a different direction. Otherwise it's pretty hard to drop because everything happens so slow. It's a pig, but maybe in a good way.

If not for the price and possible vulnerability to damage when dropped, I'd say the MSuper is bizarrely a great beginner wheel. 

I've been hoping that's the case ... that the steadiness people talk about with these bigger wheels will make my MSuper easier to learn on.  I've even wondered if I should just switch over to the MSuper to learn instead of the tiny Step N Roll.  I've got enough foam tape by now to pad up the MSuper pretty darn well.

Early in the morning and if I've been sleeping, then resting my weight on my ankle still hurts a good bit.   But if I've been up for a while, I'm starting to walk with less and less of a limp.  Still, I'm going to be over-cautious before getting on a wheel again, because I don't want to be stressing the joint out -- or relying on it for safety -- when it's not really healed yet and I'm still instinctively hesitant to put weight on it.  I've got to be able to use it the way it's meant to be used and moreso.

I'm hoping everything will be fine or at least reasonably good by the end of the month. 

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

I've been hoping that's the case ... that the steadiness people talk about with these bigger wheels will make my MSuper easier to learn on.  I've even wondered if I should just switch over to the MSuper to learn instead of the tiny Step N Roll.  I've got enough foam tape by now to pad up the MSuper pretty darn well.

That's a good option, you could pad up the MSuper and try it out for one session.  Then you still have the other wheel if you need it.  Don't rush it,  it took me weeks and weeks:(

Yeah I don't heal that fast anymore and I've found out I'm not a natural with EUC's at all.  I think I'll be on shaky ground longer than most.

34 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Yeah I don't heal that fast anymore and I've found out I'm not a natural with EUC's at all.  I think I'll be on shaky ground longer than most.

Getting on feels impossible; all those videos of people learning show mounting is pointless for a beginner.

Actually riding the damned thing is pretty easy although wobbling will plague you for weeks.

We need to give you an award for longest time to get your EUC degree, like one of those 96 year old college students that were studying but WWII interupted, they got pregnant, then had to run a cheese factory when the Nazis ran out of Limburger, etc...

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Getting on feels impossible; all those videos of people learning show mounting is pointless for a beginner.

Actually riding the damned thing is pretty easy although wobbling will plague you for weeks.

We need to give you an award for longest time to get your EUC degree, like one of those 96 year old college students that were studying but WWII interupted, they got pregnant, then had to run a cheese factory when the Nazis ran out of Limburger, etc...

Heheh well I will sure feel overdue when I finally get it going for realz.  

Getting on does feel impossible.  Once on I can start to move about, but getting to that point is the hardest part of any of it so far.  I look forward to worrying mostly about wobbles because it will mean I will have already gone past a big hurdle and accomplished a lot.