My first EUC! MSuper 3

3 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I'll try it because I think seated riding looks amazingly cool ...

I second this!

But I also gotta admit that seating has become my 2nd nature and i no longer stand up to the point i forgot how to maneuver like before. yes...I'M lazy

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Thanks for asking!

Unfortunately my ankle, though it doesn't throb anymore, is still hard to put weight on confidently.  It's especially stiff when I wake up, giving me a quick warning that I'd better watch my step -- literally.  I don't feel it's safe to try riding when I'm not comfortable walking yet.  It would just be asking for trouble.

I am now the proud owner of three more rolls of tape,though, one black and two yellow.  One black one is already on the MSuper.  I'll see if I can get an interesting color scheme going.  For now that's all I can do.

Also my seat came in!  I think the MSuper is too short to be rideable with a seat, but come the day, I'll try it because I think seated riding looks amazingly cool ... and a good way to change position if you have the anatomy and flexibility for it on your particular EUC.  I also got my advanced charger from Jason too.

And I got some hiking poles ... they look like ski poles and were about 15 bucks at Walmart.  But they're meant for use on trails.  I think they might help me with my learning, especially considering how slow I go.  They don't look robust enough to be useful at anything but pretty low speeds. Just for catching me when I lean.

I have to say, those poles sound very dangerous when riding an EUC. I don't think I'd even one to ride with them at my skill level.

That being said, if they actually help you then power to you :cheers:

Don't buy too many of these rolls. I bought 4 initially and used them on my ACM because it got banged up hard on the first ride and was too little cushioned then. Since the wait time for a new wheel (due to frying it), I now have 12 unused rolls (result of "Think of all the possible colors and patters you might do!" buying spree) of that crap here, and no longer felt like needing any padding (and didn't) ever since I got a wheel again - well, 150€ or so well spent:whistling:

Consider the seat as a nice rain guard to protect the switch and USB on top of the wheel, if nothing else.

Not a big fan of the pole idea. You already know how to ride, this stuff is probably counterproductive. When you're ready, step on your msuper and accelerate more than you could/would with your generic, and you'll be riding happily! (faster is easier than slow)

Hope your ankle gets better soon, but this kind of injury does take quite long to heal fully (where you no longer feel something). Some day you'll riiiiiiiide:)

Imagine this: You're out cross country EUCing with your ski poles down your very favorite trail. It's a beautiful day, quite lovely, so lovely in fact that bluebird flew down and perched on your shoulder for a quarter mile of your journey. The bluebird flies off and you round the bend, and well I'll be if it isn't nice old Mrs. Johnson on an afternoon hike! As you pass her you give her a friendly wave forgetting your ski poles. 

Now Mrs. Johnson's eyeball is on the end of your ski pole and you've got a huge apology to draft. 

33 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

As you pass her you give her a friendly wave forgetting your ski poles. 

Now Mrs. Johnson's eyeball is on the end of your ski pole and you've got a huge apology to draft. 

That's why you take a couple of old golf balls, drill into them with a bit just slightly smaller than the tips of the poles, and cap those suckers with the golf balls.  Then Mrs. Johnson only has a black eye.:w00t2:

7 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Careful planting a pole. When I was starting grabbing onto stuff as I rolled by did more harm than good. 

Yeah I'm not sure how much sense they make ... but even if they just help me get up and running and then I immediately throw them down, it's worth the 15 buck investment.  

But you can ride your smaller wheel, no?

The MSuper is an easy wheel to ride, really easy to just get on and roll, do easy turns, and especially at lower speeds. Your pedals might not be wide enough but your body adjusts.

If you can ride your little wheel then you'll find the MSuper to be significantly easier to ride. I dropped my MSuper once, from a standstill, when a pedestrian rammed into me while he was running and looking in a different direction. Otherwise it's pretty hard to drop because everything happens so slow. It's a pig, but maybe in a good way.

If not for the price and possible vulnerability to damage when dropped, I'd say the MSuper is bizarrely a great beginner wheel. 

7 hours ago, LanghamP said:

But you can ride your smaller wheel, no?

The MSuper is an easy wheel to ride, really easy to just get on and roll, do easy turns, and especially at lower speeds. Your pedals might not be wide enough but your body adjusts.

If you can ride your little wheel then you'll find the MSuper to be significantly easier to ride. I dropped my MSuper once, from a standstill, when a pedestrian rammed into me while he was running and looking in a different direction. Otherwise it's pretty hard to drop because everything happens so slow. It's a pig, but maybe in a good way.

If not for the price and possible vulnerability to damage when dropped, I'd say the MSuper is bizarrely a great beginner wheel. 

I've been hoping that's the case ... that the steadiness people talk about with these bigger wheels will make my MSuper easier to learn on.  I've even wondered if I should just switch over to the MSuper to learn instead of the tiny Step N Roll.  I've got enough foam tape by now to pad up the MSuper pretty darn well.

Early in the morning and if I've been sleeping, then resting my weight on my ankle still hurts a good bit.   But if I've been up for a while, I'm starting to walk with less and less of a limp.  Still, I'm going to be over-cautious before getting on a wheel again, because I don't want to be stressing the joint out -- or relying on it for safety -- when it's not really healed yet and I'm still instinctively hesitant to put weight on it.  I've got to be able to use it the way it's meant to be used and moreso.

I'm hoping everything will be fine or at least reasonably good by the end of the month. 

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

I've been hoping that's the case ... that the steadiness people talk about with these bigger wheels will make my MSuper easier to learn on.  I've even wondered if I should just switch over to the MSuper to learn instead of the tiny Step N Roll.  I've got enough foam tape by now to pad up the MSuper pretty darn well.

That's a good option, you could pad up the MSuper and try it out for one session.  Then you still have the other wheel if you need it.  Don't rush it,  it took me weeks and weeks:(

34 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Yeah I don't heal that fast anymore and I've found out I'm not a natural with EUC's at all.  I think I'll be on shaky ground longer than most.

Getting on feels impossible; all those videos of people learning show mounting is pointless for a beginner.

Actually riding the damned thing is pretty easy although wobbling will plague you for weeks.

We need to give you an award for longest time to get your EUC degree, like one of those 96 year old college students that were studying but WWII interupted, they got pregnant, then had to run a cheese factory when the Nazis ran out of Limburger, etc...

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Getting on feels impossible; all those videos of people learning show mounting is pointless for a beginner.

Actually riding the damned thing is pretty easy although wobbling will plague you for weeks.

We need to give you an award for longest time to get your EUC degree, like one of those 96 year old college students that were studying but WWII interupted, they got pregnant, then had to run a cheese factory when the Nazis ran out of Limburger, etc...

Heheh well I will sure feel overdue when I finally get it going for realz.  

Getting on does feel impossible.  Once on I can start to move about, but getting to that point is the hardest part of any of it so far.  I look forward to worrying mostly about wobbles because it will mean I will have already gone past a big hurdle and accomplished a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17.7.2017 at 10:49 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

How's the ankle doing? Did you already have the health, time and felt like doing a test ride on your shiny new 1600Wh awesome wheel?

Quoting myself, 1 month gone.

How's it going? Ankle ok now? What do you think of your wheel? Did it work out as you wanted it to do? Did you try some inclines (you mentioned those as reason for a strong wheel) around where you live?

I'm very interested in his progress as well, as it seems we waited quite a bit before he even got his wheel. I don't even think he's ridden it, yes?

I've been survelling PNW woods type areas and haven't had a sighting personally, although I've heard legends from the Children of The Forrest, of a first man, a Dingfelder, who came riding out of the sunset on a single wheel, swinging ivory ski poles with obsidian tips, cloaked in furs. 

According to the legend, on Labor Day, he rides through campsites poking out the eyes of those who dare to use Miracle Whip instead of Best Foods or Hellmans mayonnaise. Miracle Whip eaters who are in the know avoid his wrath buy putting the Miracle Whip into a Best Foods jar. 

But historians disagree wildly on whether his motivation for this is a hatred or a love for Miracle Whip, in addition to the eyeballs, he always removes the Miracle Whip from the premises, and some have hypothesized that he is actually eating the Miracle Whip, maybe by itself or maybe in an unpalatable layered eyeball salad. The options are literally limitless. 

d32ec90af5953e9925eddc758ee9af00---layer

On 8/18/2017 at 8:24 AM, kasenutty said:

I've been survelling PNW woods type areas and haven't had a sighting personally, although I've heard legends from the Children of The Forrest, of a first man, a Dingfelder, who came riding out of the sunset on a single wheel, swinging ivory ski poles with obsidian tips, cloaked in furs. 

According to the legend, on Labor Day, he rides through campsites poking out the eyes of those who dare to use Miracle Whip instead of Best Foods or Hellmans mayonnaise. Miracle Whip eaters who are in the know avoid his wrath buy putting the Miracle Whip into a Best Foods jar. 

But historians disagree wildly on whether his motivation for this is a hatred or a love for Miracle Whip, in addition to the eyeballs, he always removes the Miracle Whip from the premises, and some have hypothesized that he is actually eating the Miracle Whip, maybe by itself or maybe in an unpalatable layered eyeball salad. The options are literally limitless. 

d32ec90af5953e9925eddc758ee9af00---layer

MY GOD!!! It's like you've looked into my soul!  I friggin' hate Miracle Whip!

I'm kinda flattered by the interest and/or concern, so thank you guys.  Even by Langham's usual noodging.

Truth is, my ankle injury is a significant thing, and has kept me off any EUC for quite a while now.  My cheapie ebay Step N Roll and my wonderful MSuper too.  I don't want to go into all the ways and times it surprises me how it feels tender and sore, but when I first rolled/turned/whatever my ankle, I was surprised I didn't wind up in the hospital. It was a picture-perfect nightmare, especially for someone with no insurance.  I rolled straight forward over my collapsed front toes, as if my body were trying to snap my foot off, my entire weight crunching through the foot and eventually on the ankle joint as I fell forward and kept going into the ditch.  It was a crazy looking thing as I watched, but I couldn't stop it.  Gravity on the one hand, my MSuper held high in the other.  I was on the slippery downslope of a gulley, just walking, and there it was.

No EUC since.  I feel it would be very unsafe, because my stability is obviously compromised.  I've woken up many mornings hopeful, but even if i turn my foot a little bit or let it flop randomly while reading or whatever, I can feel not a twinge of acute piercing pain, but a solid ache that seems to linger forever.  Things usually feel fine if I move front to back in a straight line, but any turning and I'm grimacing for a while after.  Often I wake up optimistic until I set my foot down on the floor the first time that day. Sometimes I take a normal step but move slightly to the side and am surprised to feel as if I'm about to collapse under my own weight.  That is obviously not acceptable if I am going to subject my joints to the crazy balancing and impact scenarios of a wheel.

So yeah, I'm really frustrated and unhappy with this development.  It reminds me a lot of how I injured my knee a couple of years ago. That took years to heal and I feel it is still a little vulnerable.  Although this ankle thing looked catastrophic as I was living it in real time, I get the feeling it is not as bad as my knee.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it took me not just weeks but half a year to heal.  

I am trying to be, and I am determined to be, optimistic about this whole thing.  I will not let some bad luck lick me and keep me out of this dream to do something completely awesome, weird, difficult, and stupid before it's too late in my life to ever think about such things again.  I am going to get over this injury.  Then get on an EUC again. And I am going to master it, and tell you all the tale in all its humiliating clumsy glory.

The weirdest thing is, it's not an EUC injury that kept me from progressing.  It's a prolonged mail delay, then a sort or recall with Jason and Gotway, and now first a minor back injury and then a real ankle injury from when I wasn't even on the EUC in the first place.  I've been building toward this since April and now it's August and I've still never stepped on my wonderful dream machine, the Gotway MSuper, though I'm out thousands of dollars.

I'll get there, though.  I'll be damned if any non-catastrophic injury holds me back.  I just have to be patient.  I have a long time horizon and know what patience is about.  I'll lick this thing and one day I'll probably be unwittingly obnoxious about it and someone will curl their lip and say, "Oh yeah, sure, but that was easy for you."

You have no health insurance?:shock2: Well, this is the U.S.:facepalm: This sounds like you should have it checked out maybe? But I know, this stuff can take forever to heal in a way that you feel confident about it. And you can feel it for a REAL long time before it's 100% healed.

Well, get better, and look after your batteries (not too full, not too empty):)

Dibs on the MSuper if things take a turn for the worse!  :w00t2:  I know a good doctor I can refer you to.  He charges discount rates and even treats bunnies!  Just don't worry if he takes you out to the far end of the pasture and brings a rifle.  :whistling:  A little bit of discounted medicine does a body good!  I'm pretty sure he has a Doctor of Very Good Medicine degree.  I've seen it on his wall, DVM.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Dibs on the MSuper if things take a turn for the worse!  :w00t2:  I know a good doctor I can refer you to.  ... I've seen it on his wall, DVM.

Ruthless! And first. :)

Take two xylazine and call me in the morning.

Archived