My first EUC! MSuper 3

On 5/15/2017 at 4:10 PM, Dingfelder said:

Oh, and ya know what ... I don't have anything to inflate the tire with

I like this one, which I saw in Ugo's Brest to Paris trip, and which a couple of forum members helped me find:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019FIERRO?psc=1

Possibly a right-angle valve stem extension will be helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRUAMO5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I like this one, which I saw in Ugo's Brest to Paris trip, and which a couple of forum members helped me find:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRUAMO5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already got one per a previous recommendation for the home, but yours looks like it would be good in a travel kit, because it's so small.  The one I got is a big standing pump of the typical kind that is best suited for staying in the garage.  Thanks!

On 5/16/2017 at 10:34 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

The one thing I'm envious of with the msuper (compared to the ACM) is the nice wide fat tire.

I'm still hoping in the future Gotway will put a 2.5 inch tire on the ACM. IPS proved this is a successful idea with the Lhotz.

10 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I tried the bent extenders... Didn't work for me.

You need to be able to get your fingers in too close to attach / detach it - which takes longer, allowing too much air to escape. The straight extenders are easier, as you can screw them from the far end.

Welp, I took my Step N Go to the park to practice, to see if the option of falling on grass instead of rough asphalt might make me courageous enough to improve more quickly.  Instead I found the ground so uneven, even where it looked flat, that riding was much harder.  So I grabbed the wheel and headed back to the car.

On the way there is a gulley I have crossed over a million times before.  This time, I rolled my ankle something fierce.

Does this mean NOT riding a EUC is even more dangerous than riding one?

I think I'm going to have a couple of weeks to find out.  *sigh*

14 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

This time, I rolled my ankle something fierce.

I'm sure you've seen a number of recommendations for foot gear, but in case it is helpful, you may want to consider an "active ankle" brace.  I sprained my ankle pretty badly about 15 years ago and it's never been the same.  I re-twist/roll it sometimes on level ground.  At any rate the "active ankle" brace helps me continue playing sports without fear or rolling it again.  It's a little bulky, but might be an alternative to wearing boots.
https://www.amazon.com/Stabilizer-Protection-Volleyball-Cheerleading-Compression/dp/B0000E2E9S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499709337&sr=8-2&keywords=active+ankle

3 hours ago, Maximus said:

I'm sure you've seen a number of recommendations for foot gear, but in case it is helpful, you may want to consider an "active ankle" brace.  I sprained my ankle pretty badly about 15 years ago and it's never been the same.  I re-twist/roll it sometimes on level ground.  At any rate the "active ankle" brace helps me continue playing sports without fear or rolling it again.  It's a little bulky, but might be an alternative to wearing boots.
https://www.amazon.com/Stabilizer-Protection-Volleyball-Cheerleading-Compression/dp/B0000E2E9S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499709337&sr=8-2&keywords=active+ankle

Max, I tried one like that on at Big Five, and loved the ankle protection.  

However, that big white piece of plastic at the bottom dug into my foot like crazy.  However, I didn't realize you could remove it.  Maybe you couldn't?  But the one you linked to shows it can be removed, which could make all the difference in terms of comfort.

So you feel it is comfortable and the hard plastic -- whether black or white parts -- doesn't dig into you?  

Though I suppose I could always return a poor-fitting pair to Amazon.  (Large not available at this time unfortunately.)

Except for that painful white plastic part, I really did like the version I saw at Big 5.

EDIT:  I just saw that Amazon DOES have the brace in large, only in white. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BG1YG2/ref=pd_luc_rh_spmrai?psc=1

However, I can't tell which side this is for, and apparently they are made for different sides, according to the video anyway.  Which doesn't match the text saying either side works. The video specifies that you put the logo on the outside ... which means one side must be the right one and the other not.

2 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

You gonna ride the thing or talk about it for 6 months again first? :D

He can't properly inflate the tire I bet.

1 minute ago, LanghamP said:

He can't properly inflate the tire I bet.

Your reading skills are shot.

4 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

First it depended what the mailman had to say and then what Gotway had to say and now what nature has to say.

Yeah it is kinda nuts.

I read the forums for a month before ordering.  Then ordered my MSuper in May.  Then Jason said the shipment was delayed back in China, so we had to wait a few weeks.  Then the shipment was on its way and we were assured we weren't getting the tainted batch from Gotway.  

When the wheels finally came in Jason shipped me my wheel.  Then Jason found out we DID get a tainted batch.  I was instructed to not accept the wheel and return it.  On the day of delivery, it was rerouted internally by a cancellation from Jason and I never saw it.

Then I waited again while Jason patched the wheels and sent mine out.  Finally I got it a couple off days ago.

I did order a Step N Go cheapie wheel to practice on in the meantime, got a ton of protective gear, got slime and a pump and such, and used that every day for a couple of weeks.  However, for the past two weeks I've been working like crazy literally day and all night six nights a week AND been sick with a bad flu.  So I just stayed off the wheel .  Way too sick and exhausted.  

And then the first day I feel up to getting on the wheel again, I turn my ankle walking down a slippery gulley.  Frankly I think it might have been because my attention span wasn't so great coming off being sick.  I probably shouldn't have been trying anything more demanding than watching TV.

I'm pretty sure the Gods are trying to tell me something.  Over and over again.  But they haven't seen the last of me on a wheel.  I'll get there.  The delay is frustrating but I'm not a quitter.

You sound frustrated. I would be too!

Is the ankle "good in a few days" bad or "good in a few months" bad?

The good news is, minus a full faceplant/horror crash, you now have successfully survived pretty much all the nice specialities the EUC world offers:P - Gotway crazyness, shipping delays and waiting and waiting (really good idea with the burner wheel, in hindsight), injury that won't let you ride. So it must get better from now on. I  sincerely hope that for you:thumbup:

Can you take sick leave for a few days (compounded flu is not a joke!) and just sleep and get better, or is this not a thing in the US?

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

Yeah it is kinda nuts.

I read the forums for a month before ordering.  Then ordered my MSuper in May.  Then Jason said the shipment was delayed back in China, so we had to wait a few weeks.  Then the shipment was on its way and we were assured we weren't getting the tainted batch from Gotway.  

When the wheels finally came in Jason shipped me my wheel.  Then Jason found out we DID get a tainted batch.  I was instructed to not accept the wheel and return it.  On the day of delivery, it was rerouted internally by a cancellation from Jason and I never saw it.

Then I waited again while Jason patched the wheels and sent mine out.  Finally I got it a couple off days ago.

I did order a Step N Go cheapie wheel to practice on in the meantime, got a ton of protective gear, got slime and a pump and such, and used that every day for a couple of weeks.  However, for the past two weeks I've been working like crazy literally day and all night six nights a week AND been sick with a bad flu.  So I just stayed off the wheel .  Way too sick and exhausted.  

And then the first day I feel up to getting on the wheel again, I turn my ankle walking down a slippery gulley.  Frankly I think it might have been because my attention span wasn't so great coming off being sick.  I probably shouldn't have been trying anything more demanding than watching TV.

I'm pretty sure the Gods are trying to tell me something.  Over and over again.  But they haven't seen the last of me on a wheel.  I'll get there.  The delay is frustrating but I'm not a quitter.

Hey, you just need more practice, save the Gotway and keep learning on the Step-n-go.  When you accumulate about 20-30 miles on that, you should be good to go.  No need to rush it.

7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You sound frustrated. I would be too!

Is the ankle "good in a few days" bad or "good in a few months" bad?

The good news is, minus a full faceplant/horror crash, you now have successfully survived pretty much all the nice specialities the EUC world offers:P - Gotway crazyness, shipping delays and waiting and waiting (really good idea with the burner wheel, in hindsight), injury that won't let you ride. So it must get better from now on. I  sincerely hope that for you:thumbup:

Can you take sick leave for a few days (compounded flu is not a joke!) and just sleep and get better, or is this not a thing in the US?

Unfortunately, as a guardian/conservator, I am dealing with deadlines that have to be met regarding securing payment from the State for a foster home for one client and dealing with wrapping up paperwork and such due to the death of another client, along with some upcoming dates to file some accountings with the courts.  I try to make the visits and phone calls for that during the day, and then from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. I am also the caretaker for another elderly client.  That person has nobody else to do it if I'm not around but his 85 year old wife, who isn't anywhere near strong enough to take care of him and who probably shouldn't even try.  So I'm bound to do what needs to be done until it the job is over.  Somewhere in all that mess I try to sleep.

I think the ankle is better than "good in a few months," because I'm already limping a bit less than yesterday.  Maybe it will be feeling good in a week?  Could be a bit optimistic, but I'm hoping so.  Once it does feel okay I will probably add another week just for safety's sake, and then hop on an EUC again.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes!  These have been a frustrating few months.  But I'm crossing my fingers and looking forward to things getting better from here, in multiple aspects of my life.

6 hours ago, steve454 said:

Hey, you just need more practice, save the Gotway and keep learning on the Step-n-go.  When you accumulate about 20-30 miles on that, you should be good to go.  No need to rush it.

Thanks, steve454, that's what I figure too.  By now the Step N Go has become its own challenge I don't want to walk away from regardless of whether I have the MSuper or not.

I think I would enjoy riding infinitely more in the fall than in our 100 degree summers anyway, so if things get put off a bit longer, it's not that big a deal.  Ideally I start getting the hang of it in time to enjoy riding in autumn, my favorite season of the year.  Two months from now, I should still have two months of riding in the cool breeze left.

21 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

So you feel it is comfortable and the hard plastic -- whether black or white parts -- doesn't dig into you?  

The active ankles are noticeable on my feet, but I deal with any slight discomfort because they allow me to play sports that I would otherwise have to play at half speed because of the fear of re-injuring.  I was not aware that you could remove any part of the bottom, but the foot plate that you stand on is pretty essential and bascially keeps the sides rigid and only moving on the pivot point by your ankle.  Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the part you are talking about removing...

21 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

However, I can't tell which side this is for, and apparently they are made for different sides, according to the video anyway.  Which doesn't match the text saying either side works.

I use them interchangeably on either foot.

21 hours ago, kasenutty said:

No offense intended @Dingfelder, but @kasenutty that is funny and the illustration was spot on :roflmao:

For what it's worth, I think anyone that is (or has been recently) purchasing a new EUC, is in a similar boat...we've all been waiting forever or have received units that are faulty.  Unfortunately I think that we are all beta testers so some extent.  I'm pretty sure that @Dingfelder already said something similar (if not exactly the same) to this already...

On 7/10/2017 at 5:48 PM, Dingfelder said:

they're testing you!

22 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

How's the ankle doing? Did you already have the health, time and felt like doing a test ride on your shiny new 1600Wh awesome wheel?

Thanks for asking!

Unfortunately my ankle, though it doesn't throb anymore, is still hard to put weight on confidently.  It's especially stiff when I wake up, giving me a quick warning that I'd better watch my step -- literally.  I don't feel it's safe to try riding when I'm not comfortable walking yet.  It would just be asking for trouble.

I am now the proud owner of three more rolls of tape,though, one black and two yellow.  One black one is already on the MSuper.  I'll see if I can get an interesting color scheme going.  For now that's all I can do.

Also my seat came in!  I think the MSuper is too short to be rideable with a seat, but come the day, I'll try it because I think seated riding looks amazingly cool ... and a good way to change position if you have the anatomy and flexibility for it on your particular EUC.  I also got my advanced charger from Jason too.

And I got some hiking poles ... they look like ski poles and were about 15 bucks at Walmart.  But they're meant for use on trails.  I think they might help me with my learning, especially considering how slow I go.  They don't look robust enough to be useful at anything but pretty low speeds. Just for catching me when I lean.

Archived