V8 charger overheating and whining

ramma

I'm not having luck with chargers it seems. The one in the box was DOA, and the replacement seems to be overheating. I'd only ever charged it from ~60% at the lowest, but today I got down to 30%. Plugged it in and about an hour later it starts making a really high pitched whine. The app is reporting it as 98% charged now, but the power brick is crazy hot. Measured it with an IR thermometer and it read 70 C. That was after 5 minutes or so unplugged, so it could have easily been 75+ when it started whining.

Anyone else experienced a crazy hot power brick? I should probably just get an aftermarket one at this point. I'm not sure what works well and safely. As much as I like the V8, the geoblocking and these chargers issues are bringing me close to saving up for another wheel.

I've never measured the temperature on my Gotway bricks, but they get so hot that you can't touch them. They don't make a noise however.

You can buy compatible chargers that have fans to keep them running cooler, if it's something that really bothers you.

I have had that with a laptop computer before.  Even had one burn out -- literally spark and catch fire.  I wasn't the only one with that model.  Got crazy hot!  It became kind of a scandal well known in the community. The brick provided wasn't adequate for the task.  

Buying a high-power charger solved the problem easily for me as well as the other people who recommended taking that approach. It was nice and cool, no problems..  

Yes I have had that problem and posted about it earlier.

When using the stock charger (not the fast charger) and the wheel is nearly charged, then a high pitched sound is occasionally but not usually heard and the power brick gets too hot to touch.

it worries me a lot, so much so that when it happens I immediately unplug the wheel. 

23 hours ago, Gil said:

I would be very cautious with such a high temperature. The genuine V8 charger gets warm, not more. I bought a spare charger and it does not get very hot neither.

That price is a lot more affordable than other options I was looking at, thanks!

4 hours ago, f0dder1024 said:

My VF5+ charger gets pretty warm, typically i put my power brick upside down on a spare heavy aluminium laptop stand. This works well as a giant heat sink. At work when I don't have this available I put a metal camping cup on the brick, sometimes with a cold bottled drink to again absorb some of the heat.

Good idea.  Some of those laptop stands and boards even have a fan or two.

I used to point another fan at my laptop on hot summer days when the laptop's internal fan was chugging away non-stop.

Archived