Firewheel PCB tracing

esaj

10 hours ago, lizardmech said:

Here is something amusing, found where the firewheel controller came from. These guys actually built the hardware for the solowheels as well. See 0.33 

Soo... Firewheel = design stolen borrowed from the Australian Mono Electric Wheel + controller stolen borrowed from SBU? ;)

11 hours ago, esaj said:

Soo... Firewheel = design stolen borrowed from the Australian Mono Electric Wheel + controller stolen borrowed from SBU? ;)

Do you know where that motor is from? The stator is bigger than most chinese EUC, I'm pretty sure it's used in the solowheel models and the uniwheel prototype also had it. I have never been able to figure out who manufactures them because there's no complete teardown of a solowheel anywhere. I often look for used solowheels on ebay to pull apart but they're too uncommon.

4 hours ago, lizardmech said:

Do you know where that motor is from? The stator is bigger than most chinese EUC, I'm pretty sure it's used in the solowheel models and the uniwheel prototype also had it. I have never been able to figure out who manufactures them because there's no complete teardown of a solowheel anywhere. I often look for used solowheels on ebay to pull apart but they're too uncommon.

It's from Daao Electric / Xinaoma, but the last time I checked, it wasn't listed in their catalog. They also make motors at least for the IPS's:

http://www.daaomotor.com/html/Self-balancing_Wheelbarrow_Motor/

DAAO Electric (Jiangsu) Co., Ltd. and Changzhou AOMA Technology Co., Ltd., established in 2006, is a technology institution and manufacturing enterprise specialized in researching and developing electromotor and controller of electric vehicles. Covering a floor space of 36,000m2 and having an annual production capacity of 3,500,000 sets, the company has developed into a leading enterprise in Chinese industry of electric vehicle electromotor since its foundation. Its products are used in provinces and cities all over China, as well as in many other countries and regions. 
Always maintaining the core concept of driven by technology and thriving on high-quality, the company persists in exploration and research, striving to launch onto the market more environmentally-friendly, energy-efficient, and economical high-tech products that are closer to perfection. Our company has successively passed the certification for ISO9001 and ISO14001 systems. In addition, our products have passed national and international certifications such as CCC and CE. Thanks to the comprehensive management system and standard, mature production techniques, thorough testing methods, and precise and effective quality assurance system, XINAOMA & DAAO brand enjoys high prestige in domestic and overseas markets. 
The company is strong in the technical domain and well-equipped for scientific research. With a talented science and technology team led by senior engineers, we have succeeded in developing a series of high-power permanent-magnet DC motors and high-tech control system products with intellectual property rights under our own name. 
Having the best reputation, technology, quality, and service is the eternal pursuit of DAAO Electric. With your cooperation, DAAO hopes to transcend the dream and re-create the splendor. XINAOMA sincerely appreciates your trust and asks for your care and support!

Traced the gyro/accelerometer chip and made a library component for it, because I couldn't find ready-made anywhere. 

687BJoU.png

It certainly seems that other interrupts than DRDY_G/INT2_G (Gyroscope data ready/interrupt signal 2) are not connected to anywhere. It's sometimes a bit hard to get probes pushed to the pins, as they're partially under the chip, I tried over and over, including putting a sewing needle on a hook-tip, but couldn't find any connections. Also added the last missing unused connector (J12) and related resistors, and STM32 to the schema, and marked the used pins, as well as power inputs & bypass caps for the MCU. What is missing still is the mysterious Q7 (the "likely-a-dual-mosfet-that-does-nothing") and a few of the unmarked pins of the STM32 seem to be connected to either +3.3V or ground. I'll need to test them with the lacquared board to know for sure. Other than that, the trace is pretty much complete (for the mainboard, there's also that secondary board that handles battery display, lights and the voice messages / warnings, but I'm not sure if I'll trace that). I've never tested, but it could be that the board works just as well without the secondary board, there's just a single-wire data connection between the two, so likely it's just one direction communication from the STM32 to the secondary board, maybe some 1-wire protocol based on timings alone. Plus, there's a good chance that nobody will actually need the schema anyway :P

DoJOaLU.png

The VDD-side looks a bit messy, as I wanted to draw separately all the bypass caps of each input, and mark pins that are directly connected together, although it was probably unnecessary as in the end they come from the same 3.3V power rail, and the bypasses are likely "typical" 100n or similar anyway, there's just many of them because the VDD/VSS-pins are all around the chip ;)

OE4tLuj.png

The PDF-version below has a much clearer view of the schema

FirewheelBoard.pdf

3 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Would be even better if you share your source files on github, it would help others.

I'll try to get that done... some day. ;)  I'll need to organize things a bit first, as right now for example the schema-footprints are across multiple libraries and such... although, does it work if you just copy the project <projectname>-cache.lib? That would make things easier.

14 hours ago, esaj said:

I'll try to get that done... some day. ;)  I'll need to organize things a bit first, as right now for example the schema-footprints are across multiple libraries and such... although, does it work if you just copy the project <projectname>-cache.lib? That would make things easier.

Are you looking for a future project?:confused1: My new ACM 1600 board arrives today. Would you like to perform an autopsy on the old board? I would gladly pay for shipping! :)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Are you looking for a future project?:confused1: My new ACM 1600 board arrives today. Would you like to perform an autopsy on the old board? I would gladly pay for shipping! :)

If you have no use for it, sure, I could poke around that too. Not that I'm (ever) short of projects, but the nice thing about hobby-stuff is that there are no deadlines ;)  Also, if I have more boards to disassemble, it gives me more reason (or good excuses) to finally get that hot air -station :P 

6 minutes ago, esaj said:

If you have no use for it, sure, I could poke around that too. Not that I'm (ever) short of projects, but the nice thing about hobby-stuff is that there are no deadlines ;)  Also, if I have more boards to disassemble, it gives me more reason (or good excuses) to finally get that hot air -station :P 

Perfect! I was hoping you would examine it.  :clap3:Shoot me a PM with the address you would like it shipped to.

Archived