V5F Video reviews

RooEUC

I'm thinking about eventually joining the Inmotion Party, specifically with the V5F or V5F+ as my first foray into this brand.  Are there any good video reviews of this model in the English language?  I can't find any real reviews on Youtube, just ride videos.  Duf's first impressions vid is about the only one available (and I appreciate his thoughts) but are there any proper review vids?

I will be coming from the Ninebot One E+, which I really enjoy, but I'm looking for something smaller, lighter and just a little faster.  The range I'm getting on the E+ is totally fine for me as a light weight rider.

Thanks

Heya @RooMiniPro,

Problem is most of the 'reviews' of eucs on youtube will be as you said, people who are really just riding them...OR people who are reviewing the product for a general audience, not an audience of euc enthusiasts who already know the intricacies and nuances of them (at least academically). One exception of course is the great @Tishawn Fahie, whose reviews are very extensive. He has one for the V8 but not the V5f+.

For the V5f+, check out forum page 4 & 5 in the Inmotion section. You'll find several extensive written reviews from people including yours truly!  ?

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thanks, I saw this one and I am subscribed to this guy.  But as most of his vids are sponsored content (ie. free products in exchange for reviews) the bias is towards the positive and in this vid almost no negatives are mentioned.  Still, though it's a good video. 

To be honest my heart is pretty set on this wheel now. But getting one in Canada will cost more than I want to pay right now.  Well over a grand for the lower range V5F model and I'm not sure it's worth it.

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

Heya @RooMiniPro,

Problem is most of the 'reviews' of eucs on youtube will be as you said, people who are really just riding them...OR people who are reviewing the product for a general audience, not an audience of euc enthusiasts who already know the intricacies and nuances of them (at least academically). One exception of course is the great @Tishawn Fahie, whose reviews are very extensive. He has one for the V8 but not the V5f+.

For the V5f+, check out forum page 4 & 5 in the Inmotion section. You'll find several extensive written reviews from people including yours truly!  ?

Thanks for the input, Paddylaz.  Yeah I wish there was a TiShawn style review of the V5F.  Even though his review of the V8 is kind of dragged out and without much planning, he is very honest and covers a lot of points with his real world experience review and I found it very helpful.  There's a guy from Norway who reviewed the Ninebot One E+ and that was super helpful too.  For now the written reviews are all we really have for the V5F and from what people on the forum say, it's excellent.

13 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Thanks for the input, Paddylaz.  Yeah I wish there was a TiShawn style review of the V5F.  Even though his review of the V8 is kind of dragged out and without much planning, he is very honest and covers a lot of points with his real world experience review and I found it very helpful.  There's a guy from Norway who reviewed the Ninebot One E+ and that was super helpful too.  For now the written reviews are all we really have for the V5F and from what people on the forum say, it's excellent.

Yeah I mean to be honest there's no 'wrong' decision here so don't get too anxious over choices.

If I were you, and I had the money, I'd take the V8 over the v5f+ simply because you should buy the best wheel you can sensibly afford. Even if it were your first.

Having said that, if you don't fancy the size/style/weight of the V8, or you don't want to pay that extra cash, the V5f+ is a fantastic wheel. It's STILL the best wheel I've ever ridden overall, and I've ridden most of them at one point or another.

?

I'm actually looking to downsize from 16" so the V8 is not an option.  A very important factor for me is size and weight.  Next is safety/reliability, which is why I was very much considering the Ninebot One S1 as Ninebot have a proven track record of reliability.  And my One E+ is very safe.  But I have had bad customer service from Segway and Ninebot and am thinking of avoiding them for my next purchase, out of principle. 

9 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

I'm actually looking to downsize from 16" so the V8 is not an option.  A very important factor for me is size and weight.  Next is safety/reliability, which is why I was very much considering the Ninebot One S1 as Ninebot have a proven track record of reliability.  And my One E+ is very safe.  But I have had bad customer service from Segway and Ninebot and am thinking of avoiding them for my next purchase, out of principle. 

?

1 hour ago, RooMiniPro said:

...as most of his vids are sponsored content (ie. free products in exchange for reviews) the bias is towards the positive and in this vid almost no negatives are mentioned.

As an owner of a V5F (and now a V5F+) I would say that the video review is fair.  He doesn't mention many negatives because there aren't many.  I have seen no reports of safety or reliability problems mentioned on this board.  If this wheel's range, size, speed, and features suit you, then you won't find a better option in its class. Right now Inmotion holds the trophy for best "sporty" medium-range wheel IMHO.

If you are looking for negatives, I would say the app is only "OK" and there are few riders in the US to connect with (compared to Ninebot).  As you can tell, I'm really digging for something negative to say about the V5F. There's a lot to like and not much to complain about.

4 minutes ago, Ombre said:

As an owner of a V5F (and now a V5F+) I would say that the video review is fair.  He doesn't mention many negatives because there aren't many.  I have seen no reports of safety or reliability problems mentioned on this board.  If this wheel's range, size, speed, and features suit you, then you won't find a better option in its class. Right now Inmotion holds the trophy for best "sporty" medium-range wheel IMHO.

If you are looking for negatives, I would say the app is only "OK" and there are few riders in the US to connect with (compared to Ninebot).  As you can tell, I'm really digging for something negative to say about the V5F. There's a lot to like and not much to complain about.

Yeah it does seem like the best 14" wheel on the market at the moment.  I am liking it, a lot!

My son loves his V5F but our feedback on the wheel may be hard to relate to because it's his first wheel and he weighs nothing (like less than 70lbs).  Needless to say, he cranks around on that thing and it's been a great wheel for him to learn on.  He is able to make extremely sharp turns with no pedal rubbing.  He jumps off curbs and the wheel is solid.  he hits tiltback all the time because he wants to go faster, but no odd cutoffs or problems as of yet.  He rides around in rain and up steep hills (our driveway is crazy steep) with no problems.  Considering he's not very big he moves that wheel with no effort at all.  If you made me say something negative about the wheel, I'd say it doesn't hide scratches very well, which seems to bother my son a lot.  We picked up a $2 oil based, high gloss black marker from OfficeMax seems to do the trick, though.  Again, I can't give much feedback from an adult rider perspective because I only ride the V8, but I love our decision to go with the inmotion wheels.  They have been nothing but reliable, capable, fun, and they look great!  If you haven't got a supplier already, I'd encourage you to connect up with @Jason McNeil through ewheels.  He's done nothing but add to the product experience by providing excellent post-purchase support.

On 5/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, RooMiniPro said:

To be honest my heart is pretty set on this wheel now. But getting one in Canada will cost more than I want to pay right now.  Well over a grand for the lower range V5F model and I'm not sure it's worth it.

I would suggest doing a border run and then throwing the wheel into the back of your car after dirtying it up so you don't have to pay tariffs.

I have put on more than 500 miles (with maybe 20% of those miles being quality miles where I ride obstacles and difficult terrain) on the V5F+.

This may sound odd but a big reason I bought the V5 over the V8 is because of the rear red taillights which flash as you brake. This is a great safety feature! Unfortunately the Inmotion cover hides the lights.

A word of warning: when riding a 14 inch wheel every little thing that you would not notice on a bicycle wants to kill you. No kidding some of those sidewalk cracks and drops are murderous. I find anything higher than 1.5 inches to be very hard to climb over even with a bit of preparation.

45 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

A word of warning: when riding a 14 inch wheel every little thing that you would not notice on a bicycle wants to kill you. No kidding some of those sidewalk cracks and drops are murderous. I find anything higher than 1.5 inches to be very hard to climb over even with a bit of preparation.

I find the 16" wheel no problem getting over big cracks and bumps as long as I see them first.  I know going down to 14" will be more bumpy but from what others say the difference is so slight it's negligible.  I rode electric skateboards for 8 years, with anything from 70mm solid PU wheels to 8" air filled tires, so coming from those days to a 10" Segway MiniPro and now to a 16" air filled tire feels like heaven to me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-5-12 at 7:37 PM, RooMiniPro said:

I know going down to 14" will be more bumpy but from what others say the difference is so slight it's negligible.

I have ridden both sizes for several thousand km and I would not say that the difference is negligible. It is also not a difference like night and day, but as it is IMHO a real safety concern, I doubt I would ever buy a 14" for regular commuting again.

Archived