ROCKWHEEL GT16

Currently DD motors have only one point of friction - the bearing between axle and motor case. No oil inside, no wear, no extremely high RPM's (comparing to geared) makes this motor type barely servicable. You may need to replace bearing after some thousands of km's if you ride in dirty and rainy environments (e.g. in Russia :w00t2:)

• Upvote 2

I was wondering why the Rockwheel geared motors seemed to be known for being not so reliable considering other geared systems with tranmission oil seem to last much long even though they undergo more stress and have more moving parts.  Maybe it was due to heat build up related to friction?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I was wondering why the Rockwheel geared motors seemed to be known for being not so reliable considering other geared systems with tranmission oil seem to last much long even though they undergo more stress and have more moving parts.  Maybe it was due to heat build up related to friction?

Has anyone performed an autopsy after a motor failure?

I remember seeing a video with a few Chinese people opening up a Rockwheel motor.  It was quite a long time ago, but I thought they discovered metal shavings or dust mixed with the grease so I think there must be frictional wear and tear over time.  I almost considered buying one from a forum member here, but I think @jrkline purchased it instead and repaired it (faulty power switch or something?).  I don't know if he still rides it or not.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I remember seeing a video with a few Chinese people opening up a Rockwheel motor.  It was quite a long time ago, but I thought they discovered metal shavings or dust mixed with the grease so I think there must be frictional wear and tear over time.  I almost considered buying one from a forum member here, but I think @jrkline purchased it instead and repaired it (faulty power switch or something?).  I don't know if he still rides it or not.

If you find the video please post it! Metal shavings is definately not a good sign!

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

If you find the video please post it! Metal shavings is definately not a good sign!

This was ancient. The planetary gear was not robust enough and would not last but the concept is solid and actually allows for huge torque.  Think of your electric drill. Same design.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

This was ancient. The planetary gear was not robust enough and would not last but the concept is solid and actually allows for huge torque.  Think of your electric drill. Same design.

Sounds like a metallurgy or lubrication issue. Improper hardening of the gears or the oil system had insufficient flow characteristics to keep the system properly lubricated.

• Upvote 1

Been searching, but I canna find the video no more.  It wasn't terribly interesting, but I swear I saw them wipe some metal shavings and grease off to show the camera.  Maybe not.  My memory ain't what it used to be... :cry2:

Maybe the level of gear precision fit was lacking which could explain the premature wear?  Drills are noisy, but they tend to last without failing very often.  Gears not perfectly in alignment or symmetrical could place additional strain on the design?  I don't know.  I wish there were some GR16 users who could comment.  It could very well be non-durable metals being used like Rehab1 mentioned.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

I think it has been mentioned somewhere in the forums that GR16 gears were prone to wear out, or maybe it was Facebook back in the day. Don't go there often, hate the platform, I don't even actually know what's going on in the EUC group there, having hard enough time trying to keep up with forums posts. :D  

Austin Marhold (a guy who used to make a lot of noise in Facebook, lived at least at the time in Shenzhen and rode many wheels, claiming to have broken something like 30 wheels in 2015) once said he loved GR12 (the smaller version), but had to buy many broken wheels to get spare parts and change the gears in the motor (or entire motor?), as it broke down... I think he said something like the gear sets/motor had been replaced 4 or 5 times at some point, but his riding style wasn't very sparing anyway for any wheel :P  And I think he also claimed to be able to run off a 30km/h cut-off, so probably he tended to exaggerate things a bit too?   ;)

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 2

On 9/6/2017 at 7:13 AM, Lorents said:

+1 :)

La nuova versione da 92.2V sembra usare pacchetti 22S. Si tratta di un aumento del 10% della tensione (e watt) dell'attuale modello 84V. 

Le mie 84V GT16 cruises comodamente a 35km / h (~ 200 libbre) così la versione di 92.2V potrebbe probabilmente avvicinarsi a 40km / h - a meno che non lo fanno come versione ad alta velocità / bassa coppia per i pesi piuma ...

Gt 16 84V already arrive 50 km h 

I just had a very strange experience that got me thinking of the GotWay oscillation problem.

I rode over a huge bump in the road, probably 10-15cm height. It was a hose from a building that is being renovated covered in protection. I slowed down to maybe 5-8mph and flexed my knees to take the bump. Coming down on the other side the wheel started shaking violently. Not enough to throw me, but enough that I had to stop and hold it by the handle. As I stabilised it by holding it up, the shaking stopped. Now the phenomenon comes and goes with curbs and bumps.

I'll have to open it up later, but my prime suspect is lose hall-sensor wires. The ones from the motor are rather flimsy and have broken before. That time though I never tried to ride it while the wires were loose, so I ask anyone who knows: Could a loose hall-sensor wire lead to that kind of symptoms?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WaveCut said:

@Scatcat To be honest it sounds just like pedal screws loosened (which led to gap, which led to resonance - quite common control algorithm flaw in "hard-mode" EUC's). Try to fix them tight before you do bigger repairs.

One side was a bit loose, but not to the extent that I got a gap. But I think I found the problem, the next problem is fixing it... 

I got most of the metal shards out, but it seems I missed one or two. So it's a lot more stable, but I can still provoke the vibrations if the wheel is in just the right (or wrong) position...

We encounter this situation, but nothing to do with the debris in the motor, the controller installed at the top, if the shell is a bit loose, it is easy to resonate, if you use a little force to seize the shell, it will stop.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, 陈小杰 said:

We encounter this situation, but nothing to do with the debris in the motor, the controller installed at the top, if the shell is a bit loose, it is easy to resonate, if you use a little force to seize the shell, it will stop.

When is the 92V version being released?

11 hours ago, 陈小杰 said:

Yes, that makes sense!

I will make sure all screws are tight, and see if that helps.

On 14/7/2017 at 3:43 AM, Jaumebyn said:

I reached 48km/h with the 84V 858wh "v2" version

It's a fantastic wheel, but I have a doubt. 

Is it normal a noise when brake strong or climb steep streets?

"The noise of the video"

IMG_0706.MOV

Me too i arrive 48 km h that noise i think is not normal but is very dangerous that speed Anyway! 

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 1:04 AM, 陈小杰 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhJNr67qmyc 

The people who ride are me, but you will not think of who the photographer is.

I'd bet Marty's paycheque that the videographer was Donald Lin, boss of Gotway?  :whistling:  Am I right?  Am I right?  :w00t2:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'd bet Marty's paycheque that the videographer was Donald Lin, boss of Gotway?  :whistling:  Am I right?  Am I right?  :w00t2:

I think that was a Rockwheel 12 inch geared unicycle.  But it sounds like the geared Gotway MTen, so I have no idea.  Some impressive offroading!  Spun for a couple seconds while on it's side.

Maybe it was the owner of Rockwheel filming, remember that video you said he was riding tiltback like a boss, the speed test against some other wheel?

• Like 1

My dear Watson, er, Steven, I believe if you read the quote in my post, it is the owner of Rockweel riding, but he asks who you think the photographer is.  Looking at Donald Lin's Linkedin profile, he makes mention that he worked at Rockwheel for a while.  I bet he learned a few things there and decided to pursue his own company afterwards.  That video was most likely showing off the Rockwheel geared GR12 with Donald Lin madly running after him filming.  He likely thought to himself, dang, I'm tired of chasing this guy when I should be riding... :whistling: And so Gotway was born...  or I could be totally wrong here... just taking a wild guess... 

• Like 2