Anyone go from 16" to 14"?

RooEUC

Now that I have become pretty good on the EUC, I can go anywhere I want to go and I have started to love my rides on the 16" Ninebot One E+, the only negative I'm finding is the size and weight when lugging it around. A voice in my head is telling me I'd prefer a smaller, slimmer wheel like the Ninebot One S1. But smaller wheels mean harder bumps and vibrations. 

A lot of you go bigger as you progress, but has anyone gone down in size and much prefer it? I'm especially interested to know if anyone has gone from the Ninebot One E+ to the One S1 (S2 in Europe). The E+ feels big, wide and heavy when I carry it. The S1 would be 5lbs lighter and much slimmer without the big protrudung hard battery and board boxes to hit my legs when carrying.

17 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Now that I have become pretty good on the EUC, I can go anywhere I want to go and I have started to love my rides on the 16" Ninebot One E+, the only negative I'm finding is the size and weight when lugging it around. A voice in my head is telling me I'd prefer a smaller, slimmer wheel like the Ninebot One S1. But smaller wheels mean harder bumps and vibrations. 

A lot of you go bigger as you progress, but has anyone gone down in size and much prefer it? I'm especially interested to know if anyone has gone from the Ninebot One E+ to the One S1 (S2 in Europe). The E+ feels big, wide and heavy when I carry it. The S1 would be 5lbs lighter and much slimmer without the big protrudung hard battery and board boxes to hit my legs when carrying.

Yup. Went down from an extremely chunky 16" IPS Lhotz tire to the 14" Inmotion V5f+.

Jason gave me a test drive on it before I bought it. It was (and is) perfect. So much more manoeuvrable. Had a go on a V8 the other day and was shocked at how 'clunky' it felt to be back on a 16".

Generally speaking, with the exception of off-road/trail riding (which I've never done so not qualified to comment at all), the thickness of the tire is more important than the diameter.. I don't notice any negative difference between 16 and 14, although I can imagine a new rider would find the 'knife's edge' of some thinner wheels to be more disconcerting than a big chunky 2.5" on the Lhotz.

The V5f+ is a nice compromise, a little thicker than even the 16inch ninebot tire, But more nimble than my old Lhotz.

Ps. Regarding portability, the most important thing is really whether or not there's a decent handle. By decent, I mean a proper trolley handle that you can walk your wheel with while on. Obviously the Ninebot handle is so short, it's useless for that (unless you're less than 3ft tall :)

IMHO the drop down of 2" from 16" to 14" is negligible, especially since you are still at 2.125" wide. I consider width way more important than the diameter.

I've owned and ridden daily both E+ & S2 (the original S1), and IMHO, the S2 is exactly the E+ but shrunken down to 14", removing the pads.

Except, the S2/S1 is better in the fact that it's, obviously, lighter than the E+, and the weight distribution is way more balanced (E+ is heavier on one side due to all the battery weight being in one leg pad, vs. the S2/S1 splits the battery weight across both sides in 2 batteries.

Too bad the small wheels have such small batteries. 14C with 840 Wh was an awesome little power package, but the 14D only seems to come in 420Wh (does anybody know if it just lacks a battery and could be easily upgraded to 840?). The others never were above 520 (V5F+).

Maybe people who want a small wheel don't like the extra weight anyways? But you'd think there was a market for small, portable wheels that still have big range.

Timeline: Airwheel X3 - Airwheel X8 - Ninebot One E+ - Inmotion V5F - Kingsong KS16 - Inmotion V8

At point of scoring 1k kilometers on my OneE+ it started feeling clunky for rotation, and the battery output dips were quite unpleasant. Tried switching to 14" V5F, didn't work for me in the long term. Loved the wheel and the tech behind it, but at my 80kg it felt just too small for long distance commuting. Was also running out of power quite often. 

At that stage I was thinking KS14c but after trying one it just felt there's too much power for a size like that. Maybe it's just psychological, but I feel much safer riding 16" wheels. Just a perfect balance of power and stability.

7 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

The E+ feels big, wide and heavy when I carry it. The S1 would be 5lbs lighter and much slimmer without the big protrudung hard battery and board boxes to hit my legs when carrying

Get the trolley handle, kind of pricey at about $60, but well worth it, you'll never have to carry it again.  Only have to lift it in to the car and over curbs sometimes.

12 hours ago, vladmarks said:

Timeline: Airwheel X3 - Airwheel X8 - Ninebot One E+ - Inmotion V5F - Kingsong KS16 - Inmotion V8

At point of scoring 1k kilometers on my OneE+ it started feeling clunky for rotation, and the battery output dips were quite unpleasant. Tried switching to 14" V5F, didn't work for me in the long term. Loved the wheel and the tech behind it, but at my 80kg it felt just too small for long distance commuting. Was also running out of power quite often. 

At that stage I was thinking KS14c but after trying one it just felt there's too much power for a size like that. Maybe it's just psychological, but I feel much safer riding 16" wheels. Just a perfect balance of power and stability.

So your riding the V8 now? I'd be interested in hearing about it. Got my eye on it.. but hearing about wheel scraping noise on the left side.. what's that about?

17 hours ago, steve454 said:

Get the trolley handle, kind of pricey at about $60, but well worth it, you'll never have to carry it again.  Only have to lift it in to the car and over curbs sometimes.

I would like to, but it's probably going to cost over $120 CAD to get it here.  It's not worth it for me when I only paid $625 CAD for my bot.  I might just try to make one.

Hello @RooMiniPro After 3000km on my nb1 i now ride with an inmotion v5F+ . It's a pure pleasure: lighter, faster, more range and diabolic manoeuvrability.

I was a little worried by a lack of comfort but i found the v5 a little bit more comfortable on irregular ground :).  Like @Paddylaz i though that the only downside between 16 and 14 is the offroad riding.

I have also testing a nb S2 and i prefer the V5 for all aspect except the smoothness

Thanks Philfree and everyone.  I have taken my Ninebot One on some trail rides and to be honest it's not very comfortable and I can't really imagine do this regularly.  Maybe the trail I was on is more bumpy than others but it sure didn't feel like something to unicycle on with a 16" wheel.  So I think my next wheel will be 14". I would like to get the Ninebot One S1 but their customer support totally sucks so I am morally leaning away from Ninebot now and towards the V5f or V5F+.   

13 minutes ago, Philfree said:

Hello @RooMiniPro After 3000km on my nb1 i now ride with an inmotion v5F+ . It's a pure pleasure: lighter, faster, more range and diabolic manoeuvrability.

I was a little worried by a lack of comfort but i found the v5 a little bit more comfortable on irregular ground :).  Like @Paddylaz i though that the only downside between 16 and 14 is the offroad riding.

I have also testing a nb S2 and i prefer the V5 for all aspect except the smoothness

I've read so many great things about that wheel, but one thing I also read is that they aren't a very good choice for us 200+ pounders.  Too bad, because a lot of people seem to really love and praise that wheel.  And the price is reasonable.

18 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

I would like to, but it's probably going to cost over $120 CAD to get it here.  It's not worth it for me when I only paid $625 CAD for my bot.  I might just try to make one.

I thought about making one too, but I don't think papier mache would be strong enough.

Just kidding ... but I admire those of you with the skills to consider doing something like that.  

13 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I thought about making one too, but I don't think papier mache would be strong enough.

Just kidding ... but I admire those of you with the skills to consider doing something like that.  

I was thinking more on the lines of tinfoil, tape and toilet roll tubes.

11 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Got my eye on it.. but hearing about wheel scraping noise on the left side.. what's that about?

I own a v8 and I have not experienced any wheel scraping.  I think it's a pretty small number reporting this problem and it sounds like those who had this issue, and purchased from a reputable dealer (such as ewheels/@Jason McNeil), had their scraping problem taken care of...

11 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

So your riding the V8 now? I'd be interested in hearing about it. Got my eye on it.. but hearing about wheel scraping noise on the left side.. what's that about?

most likely the plastic parts of the handle structure being too close to the wheel hub. That was common with Ninebot One due to its' slick design. This issue hasn't risen during my 1.5k km riding experience on that wheel. Still sounding healthy even for single foot riding since it naturally tilts the wheel hub towards the left side.

8 hours ago, Maximus said:

I own a v8 and I have not experienced any wheel scraping.  I think it's a pretty small number reporting this problem and it sounds like those who had this issue, and purchased from a reputable dealer (such as ewheels/@Jason McNeil), had their scraping problem taken care of...

How long have you had the V8? Do you recommend it? Also eyeing the KS16.

8 hours ago, vladmarks said:

most likely the plastic parts of the handle structure being too close to the wheel hub. That was common with Ninebot One due to its' slick design. This issue hasn't risen during my 1.5k km riding experience on that wheel. Still sounding healthy even for single foot riding since it naturally tilts the wheel hub towards the left side.

Great hearing feedback from all you V8 owners. I really appreciate that! Definitely getting close to pulling the trigger. 

So.. there is a V5, and V5+..

is there a V8+?

7 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Great hearing feedback from all you V8 owners. I really appreciate that! Definitely getting close to pulling the trigger. 

So.. there is a V5, and V5+..

is there a V8+?

The two to choose from would be the V8, or the V5f+.

The V5f+ is exactly the same wheel as the V5f, it doesn't even say v5f+ on the wheel. But the difference is the v5f+ uses LG battery cells that are higher capacity, giving you better range. (About 10 more miles).

The V8 is 5kph faster than the v5f+, but the range is roughly the same. There's no v8+, it's still a relatively new wheel.

You can get either wheel from Jason (ewheels/wheelgo).

I wouldn't bother with the older ones (v5, v5+) - too slow and not enough power.

12 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

How long have you had the V8? Do you recommend it? Also eyeing the KS16

I've had my v8 for about 3 months, but only been riding it regularly for the past 3-4 weeks.  I love the v8, but it's also my first wheel and I'm primarily riding with my youngest son who got a V5F (not the plus).  Given his weight (like 70lbs I think) we get roughly the same range on our wheels, in fact his might be better :) .  Anyway, range hasn't been a big deal for me as most of our rides have been 10 miles or less.  However, now that my older son is getting into riding we've been splitting time on the V8 and I'm looking for a wheel for myself.  I probably don't need more range, but all anyone really talks about is how good it is to have, so sure enough, my next wheel is going to be the ACMs+ 1600, BOOM:thumbup:!!!   Do I need the added range, I'm not certain...but I'm going with the theory that it's better to have more range than not enough.  To be honest, I'd consider another V8 because I like the wheel so much, but I think it's worth trying a Gotway just for the variety and to see if I like the way they ride.  I considered the MSuper and Monster, but ultimately thought the ACM was more fit for the riding I would be doing.  If you don't think that you'll need more than about 15-18 miles for range, then I wouldn't even think twice, and get the V8.  It's a great wheel and I imagine that I'll still steal it from my son, from time to time, even when I get my ACM :laughbounce2:

Some people are saying skip the V5F and get the +, but if the v5F gets the range of a Ninebot One E+ that's all I need and I would enjoy saving a couple of hundred dollars.

6 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Just get a Monster, Roo and be done with it :D

Or this

foxonbike.jpg

But like I said in another thread, size and weight are very important to me.  It has to be as small, thin, light and compact as possible for a 14" wheel.

Archived