Charge Doctor on Inmotion Wheels

Maximus

Has anyone had trouble with their Charge Doctor not turning itself off automatically (auto-cut)?  It seems like mine is never shutting off and instead just reducing the amount of amps to an extremely small number (like .05).  I've read on other threads that the batteries charge quickly up to a certain point and then slow down, but I've even let it go overnight but it's still not turning itself off.  Maybe it's time for a reset?

Maybe you switched off the auto-cut? By default it should stop at 1A. Or maybe the wheel BMS stopped charging, but the charger itself gives a small current to the doctor.

I had a board change (same Gotway 1300Wh batteries) and before the change, the default 1.0A auto cut off charged at 98%, now it charges to 100%. So you have to look at your wheel manually when you want to stop charging, the exact numbers aren't predictable.

You can check your amperage at the battery level when you want to stop and set the auto cut to that. Better maybe even if you use auto cut off by voltage (when it gets high enough), same principle but more fine control (at least for big batteries).

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe you switched off the auto-cut?

Yeah, It's definitely possible that the auto-cutoff was disabled...When I was showing my sons all of the wheel stuff I mentioned how to reset the total Wh display on the Charge Doctor, so it's all together possible that he may have inadvertently disabled it.  I'll try to read through the firmware documentation tonight to see if I can reset the auto-cut.  Just wanted to make sure that other people, who had these devises, weren't having the same trouble or if they did, what their solution was.  Thanks!

Press the button twice (short) to get to the auto cut (3rd) screen, then long to change. If it shows ---A it's off, otherwise it shows cut off current/voltage.

How to change the cut off numbers is in the documentation, not hard:)

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

How to change the cut off numbers is in the documentation, not hard

That was it!  Thanks @meepmeepmayer!

The documentation on the Charge Doctor site was easy to follow and the problem was that the auto-cut was turned off (dang kids :facepalm:)...

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/11/07/charge-doctor-v2-firmware-v-2-03-2/

5 hours ago, charlesrg said:

I changed my autocut from 1A to 80V because at 1A it was already going to 97%

I'll try doing the same.  I did a little searching in the forum for "charge percentage" and found this thread, which has a lot of good posts on the same topic:

Archived