Help . ACM motherboard . Does anyone know what is this?

Luiz

Bought a new gotway from amazon but the front light is not working . When i opened the side panel i found this . The board seem to have been repaired . Please , does anyone know what is it.

I am returning it anyway . 

Also someone know what is the catch in this amazon offers?

Are they selling refurbished unicycles as new ones ?

20170506_025756.jpg

You can buy an ACM from Amazon. Hmmm. I'll have to take a look.

Regarding your picture, can you be more specific. What exactly in the picture are you commenting about?

1 minute ago, Luiz said:

It is not the silicon mate . Look at the raised bit of the board with the yelow color underneath.

Maybe @Rehab1 has something to say. He's our resident ACM expert now :thumbup:

Hi Marty.

There is a yellow thing over the board in this corner and another peace of board on top of it . I dont have any eletronics knowledge but this is unusual. Do your boards have the same raised bit on this corner?

Interesting - that looks like a daughterboard retro-fitted to the main controller board.  Maybe due to a design change or upgrade they have chosen to add this board over the old layout to bypass the previous PCB traces.  I believe that is a power transformer in the middle.  Maybe this is a new design for the higher 84v requirements?  Or maybe it's an add-on board to supply the USB port power?  It's right next to the timing crystal, ARM processor, and gyro chip.

I'd bet the yellow plastic separator underneath is to prevent any unwanted shorts and to allow them to isolate certain areas where the connections bridge to the main board.  Maybe @esaj can comment further.

Did you try fast pressing the power button to activate the front light?  Is there a photo sensor that automatically turns on the front light that needs to be covered before it will activate?

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe @Rehab1 has something to say. He's our resident ACM expert now :thumbup:

Is this an ACM board? If not what type of GW?

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe this is a new design for the higher 84v requirements?  

Not for an ACM. I just ordered a new board ( just to be on the safe side) and it is exactly like the current version. This board is completely different. The double decker board appears out of place offering zero clearance between the outer shell and the wires. The height of plastic stanchion that secures the outer shell appears lower in height compared to the red wires ( green outline). It might be an optical illusion but the wires have to be crunched!

Interestingly all of the silicone appears to be unaltered. When the board screws are removed the silicone has to be shaved away. This picture shows no signs of any disruption.

OMG check out that huge glob of silicone!  :o Is this some form of subliminal seduction experiment being conducted by the Chinese?  :cry2:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love..please schedule my next psych eval.

I agree with you rehab . If you noticed this shape on the slicon you really need to see a doctor urgently mate . LOL

Thanks to all  for your imput .

This was advertised as a brand new ACM V2 680 w bought on amazon uk site  from ibo store (that is the name in the order).

Looks like a small peace of board was cut and added to that part of the base mainboard to fix a defect on the original board . If this is the case it is some kind of refurbishment and may be causing the defective lights . I am afraid this can be a reckless attempt to save a defective mainboard that may be potencialy dangerous as this unicycle can reach 40 km/h

Yes i have tried to turn on the light on the power switch but no signs of the light . Front light is completely dead.

I had a quick ride to test the wheel on the pavement and it apears to be working fine apart from the front  light.

The guys on the shop have been very responsive . I hope they can replace this unit for a good one or refund as soon as possible.

10 hours ago, Luiz said:

Bought a new gotway from amazon but the front light is not working . When i opened the side panel i found this . The board seem to have been repaired . Please , does anyone know what is it.

I am returning it anyway . 

Also someone know what is the catch in this amazon offers?

Are they selling refurbished unicycles as new ones ?

20170506_025756.jpg

My best guess is that it's the step-down converter to produce the much lower voltages the boards needs from the battery voltage. The yellow "block" in the middle is the transformer coils, the "Sharp"-chip on the right is an optocoupler. The larger chip seems to be a DongKe DK1203 power management IC  ( http://www.datasheetspdf.com/PDF/DK1203/1024866/3  http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/SPEC/939/K1100410939.pdf )   Resistors, diodes, caps... No idea on the actual topology (I'm not really familiar with switching-mode power supplies), but probably along the lines of the datasheet reference design, although the chip's originally meant for an AC/DC -converter...

No idea why it seems that the board was added later on. Maybe the board originally had step-down for 67.2V (16S) on-board and they just used a separate step-down to make it work with higher voltage? The extra-board looks like it's made in an actual fab-house, so I doubt it was the seller doing it, maybe even from Gotway themselves (it might be cheaper to design a new converter for higher input voltage and attach it to the existing board design than to make new boards ;))?

Hi esaj .

Thanks for you reply.

I dont know . I still think it looks like a bypass to repair a defective part of the board with another cutted peace of board but again  i dont know anything about eletronics.

I would like to know if anyone else has this double level board . I have watched many videos and seen many pictures but have never seen this raised peace of board before. I really would like to know if this is normal.

Keep in mind how much new boards cost (not much) relative to the amount of work that would have been required to do the repair that you are supposing that they did. The provenance of this board is still a mystery and is intriguing. Still good to get a new wheel if you can because of the LED light problem.

Thanks Marty.

That is what i am going to do. I am in contact with the seller to replace or refund it.

Regarding to your search for an offroad wheel may i sugest the msuper V2 . I have been using it for all kinds of rough surfaces and it has performed flawlessly. It is not as powerfull as the V3 but it never failed me not even once , and i have heavy bones , 95 kg , also it is cheaper and the tough shell really can take a beat so you dont feel so bad to put it to the test offroad.

Really an offroad champion.

They say  in the description it is an upgraded 5th generation of ACM  V2.

Do you think  this could be an upgrade on the board ?

Does anyone else has this double level board.

My concern is that the cables on this raised peace of the board may be squashed against the side panel and could cause other failures apart from the defective front lights.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You can buy an ACM from Amazon. Hmmm. I'll have to take a look.

Amazon's official policy is that Electric Unicycles are not permitted to be listed through Amazon.com unless they have passed UL2272 certification, in other words just the Segway S1 is permitted. 

Enforcement of this rule is inconsistent. When I tried to list the Inmotion Wheel line they were immediately pulled, but they have no problem with same products listed by a  rogue trader in Montreal. System appears to flag certain keywords & categories, so that 'self-balancing' or 'Electric Unicycle' will be delisted. 

Ironically, I recently tried posting the new Inmotion L8 Scooter, none of the hot keywords or categories were used, but was still flagged. Raised a support case, the not so clued in agent said the reason why was that the scooter was self-balancing (???). While the buying interface of Amazon is pretty good, their backend system is just awful. It presents a million attributes that are completely irrelevant (for instance shoe size for Electronics!), no preview to see how the product will appear, takes 15 minutes to view, tons of issues when listing variants, extremely primitive HTML formatting.... by comparison, eBay's system is much better.  

5 hours ago, esaj said:

The extra-board looks like it's made in an actual fab-house, so I doubt it was the seller doing it, maybe even from Gotway themselves

Had ordered some spare GW boards, a couple of each type. Really impressed with how far GW have come in the past year with their board development, to take just one example, the heat sink with fins weighs in at around 400g, which will have a big impact to  absorb a lot of the waste heat energy from the MOSFETs.

I would imagine that it is probably a Gotway factory adaptation of the standard 67.2V board to take the higher voltage Luiz.I'm a bit busy at the moment but when I get time I'll open the covers on my ACM 84V that I got from Gray Goodbarn at Yorkshire Airwheels recently to see if it's the same.

It looks like your transformer is also on a secondary board above the main board meepmeepmayer, just a much smaller one!

I'd put it down to gradual development and the evolving electronics. Yours is probably an earlier production model Luiz.

Hi Gimlet . Thanks for your help.

I could not see the raised board under the transformer on meepmeepmayer pictures at all  . 

My acm is a 680 w regular v2  60 v  not the 84 v . Why it would need this modification . It was advertised as a 5th generation V2 though. Do you reckon this is an upgrade on  the board  or a repair/addaptation ? The problem is that the wires on this secondary board are too high and get smashed by the side panel. This may have caused the malfunction on the light. I am concerned that this may cause other more dangerous malfunction. 

Also , do you know which of this cables goes to the light ?

Please Gimlet . Could you have a look in yours to check. Sorry to ask but i really want to understand why this secondary board is there and if it can be dangerous.

The guys on the ibo shop have not responded yet since i sent the pictures as they requested on the returning request process on amazon. If they refuse to replace this defective unicycle i may be stuck with it.

8 hours ago, Gimlet said:

It looks like your transformer is also on a secondary board above the main board meepmeepmayer, just a much smaller one!

I'm 99,99% sure it is just one PCB. I looked at the high res original photos and can't see two PCBs, neither on the old board (8.12. wheel production date) nor new board (11.4. wheel production date). I also openend to check the board side yesterday, but forgot to look for this, but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a PCB sandwich (especially that yellow base plastic thing stands out!).

--

I don't think this is a new board by Gotway, why have this complicated thing? It's some kind of mod or repair, is my guess, maybe even done in the Gotway factory (the stray silicon strand goes from the original board to the elevated part!). Could be the fat thing broke and this is how you fix a replacement?

Hope you can return, Amazon should be resasonably good with that. Also, I recommend to buy from a proper dealer next if it makes sense for you.

If it really helps you, I can open my wheel again and look/make a photo, but as said, I don't think there's anything but one nice flat PCB in there (also, you'd better need a 67V board from a recent wheel for comparison, mine is the 84V board).

@Rehab1 I'm sure you have or could easily make a picture of your board?

Mysterious:ph34r:

edit: what is the production date of your wheel? It's on the QC stamp, found on the packaging (I think) and some paper inside the packaging)? From the fact that this exists at all, and the silicon is applied not too professionally, I'd guess it's an earlier/older production date.

edit2: just noticed the cable tie in the background, I don' t think that's how it's supposed to be, the have some better tie thing there.

Thanks meepmeepmayer.

The seller was ibo store (third part seller on amazon UK site)

I agree with all your remarks. Lets see if i can get the refund . I will keep you informed. The seller was very responsive in the beguining but since i sent them the pictures of the unicycle yesterday as they requested i have not heard from them ( i gess due to the weekend ) If i dont hear from them in the next 2 days i will file a complaint on amazon.

On the box there is a sticker with a bar code and number MCM 1602825 and a QC stamp with chinese characters.

I wonder if this number is the manufacturing day 25 of august 2016 ?

20170507_133734.jpg

The actual date are the Chinese letters below the GW, I think. Just can't read them. Mine are in English.

But you're right, the serial number actually contains the date. Mine is 170411XXX and my wheel was indeed built on 11th April (from the actual stamp). Not sure how to read yours, should be 8th February 2016, wheel no 25? Did you buy MCM4 (as the picture says) or ACM (as the thread title says)? Do you have a second sticker or stamp somewhere (manual? I have..) - maybe the box does not match the wheel and the real date is in the other stamp/sticker (I don't think the ACM even existed back then).

Give the seller at least until Monday evening to respond, if they responded before that's a good sign.

Haha I just helped someone with a translator app, and got the idea to try a Chinese visual (augmented reality) translator app with the letters which are probably the date. But it just says "donkey old" or "quality with seal, stamp old", "donkey exclusive use", "to adapt for use for another purpose" (!) so it's funny but not too useful:D

Archived