The manufacturer numbers are either straight lies or taken from 50 kg Chinese riders under ideal circumstances. My ACM 1300 gives me (80 kg, 6 ft) around 65 km (40 miles) until I reach the 20% battery mark at maybe 15-20 km/h speeds, so 1600 Wh (25% more) will give you your 50 miles until you reach 20% battery. It all depends on rider weight, windage, temperature, your speed and driving style, etc. You'll want some reserves, especially if you are time sensitive, can't need slowing down for battery reasons, so the 20% should be the end point to consider.

The fast/frequent charging should barely effect the batteries, a charge cycle is not how often you charge, but 100% battery is one charge cycle so 20 charges for 5% battery is just one charge cycle. The 5A fast charger current is still very low compared to what the cells in the battery packs are built for so this won't effect them either. For longevity, it's more important to stop charging a few % below 100, for example.

Not sure if getting others to learn EUCs is going to work, but if you can find interested people, good for you. Certainly an interesting idea, but you might also look at small scooters or whatever as easier alternatives. But "the pet company with the electric unicycles" would certainly be a nice publicity gimmick.

Also, consider that EUCs are not going to be that fast. In the inner city I think 10 mph is realistic (with traffic lights, traffic, etc). Suburbs a bit faster. But that means, 5 miles is easily 20 or more minutes of riding so don't overestimate how quick you can get to further away clients and for what distances electric unicycles are worth it. They are more like bikes, not motor vehicles, in what they are good for.

As said, with 5A you can roughly say charging time = riding time, so charging for 30 mins will give you 30 mins of riding. You could even use two or even three 5A chargers but that would require modifying your wheel (multiple charge ports) if you want even faster charging (do NOT use more than 5A on one charge port). But if your riding time is much higher than the work time, I would say get something faster than a EUC. [The math is: wheel voltage * charger current = how many Wh you can charge per hour, so e.g. 84V * 5A = 420 W = 420 Wh/h. But the last 20 or 10% will be slower by default, so the real time is a hour longer or so.]

And you'll probably need a small back pack at least, for the charger.

Btw, if you plan to walk dogs, EUCs are quite neat for that. The dogs get a bit of an excercise instead of a slow walk (but you can't charge then).

For now, I think getting one for yourself and having first hand experience is the way to go.

HI Javier and welcome.

It sounds like you have a cool business with unusual aspects to it.  I looked at your website and you offer all sorts of things.  One of the things must be washing and grooming right?  And for that you'll require supplies and a backpack.  For a really professional dryer, they get heavy and bulky.  But to get things done in a timely manner, I think it will be expected by clients.  If you just show up with a human hair dryer, the estimate of your professionalism is going to be harder to maintain at a high level.

You're also young and very thin.  When I was 18 I was quite thin and still 175 pounds at 6' 1 1/2".  I mean legs like sticks.  If anything, you are likely to fill out over time.  

That plus the likelihood of your needing to carry grooming products and devices makes me think you'd be well served to buy conservatively, tending toward having as much power as possible.

Your business is one that isn't done from behind a desk either, ,so having extra power to help keep you from premature power cut-offs that dump you into a faceplant that could effectively end your income stream would be very wise.

I'm a long-time dog guy (four Australian shepherds ATM) just learning about EUC's myself, so don't have experience riding any machines.  But Jason at ewheels does, and on different pages on his site, he lists characteristics of EUC's based on his personal testing of them. He doesn't just type up the manufacturer's claims on his website.  So you might find his figures on realistic distances covered and weight capabilities useful.  Checking and rechecking his site has helped keep my freewheeling notions in check as I considered one model after another, often based on the satisfaction people had who might have weighed 50 pounds less than I do or who rode primarily on flat land instead of hills, or smooth paved roads instead of trails.

I'd check out Jason's online site and watch the videos on youtube of speedyfeet, ,a UK distributor.  He has tried a lot of wheels and gives good long reviews and also ride videos which can help you judge how a machine might handle different conditions.  Few riders are going to have the background and experience to give a clearer picture than those two guys can.  

Especially, I think, when it comes to riders approaching 200 pounds, like you and like me.  I've had to give up on most models because they just aren't capable of pushing a body like mine around safely.  Either they can't do it at all or they can only do it under ideal conditions that would leave us with a lousy safety margin.

And since you are talking about incorporating a EUC into making your living, you have to be extremely careful in your decision, IMO.

7 hours ago, Javier Pereira said:

Hey. Thanks again for the follow up! I do agree with your opinion in regards to the Monster.

I though about having the option of charging it while I look after the dog while I was writing the post as well. How much 'juice' could you add in 30 min? The only down side with that is that I would need to carry a bag right, since the charger is too big to fit into a pocket?

Do you do anything special for the get to that range? I mean they are advertised to get 45 - 75 depending on battery size and model (ACM or MSuper)

And were do you recommend that I get any unicycle from to pay in dollars and ship to DC?

People do group rides where they break for lunch and charge while they eat and they can get another 5 - 10 miles during that time. I assumed that you would maybe have a backpack where you could stick the charger (they aren't that big).

Jasaon at EWheels would be a great source for your new Gotway.

45 miles is what I get when just riding for fun, and riding fast. If you kept your speed under 18mph you could probably extend your range by a noticeable amount.

7 hours ago, Pingouin said:

I normaly get 50 miles out of my ACM 1300Wh at an average speed of 18kph but I weight 60kg. I think that regarding what you said, the best wheel for you would be either the Msuper3s+ 1600Wh or the ACMs+ 1600Wh, they would give you about the same range, the Msuper3 being more comfy and stable and the ACM being more agile and powerful (due to smaller diameter wheel).

Another thing to consider, the ACM is a little cheaper than the Msuper, and it is a better hill climber, but that's not very important if you ride on flat streets. Honestly, I've tested both, I own the ACM 1300Wh, if you want to go at higher speeds (35kph+) most of the time, then the Msuper3 is better because I don't feel like the ACM is very stable at speeds above 35kph (that's why I got the Monster), but if you're often encountering pedestrians all over the place, the ACM is easier to manoeuver.

You decide ^^

Putting the Msuper pedals on the ACM is not an issue at all, they are longer than the ACM, but not wider, so they wouldn't be closer to the ground.

Great thank you! Yes I agree with you I think its going to come down to what I want to compromise a little bit more, portability/maneuverability or comfort. Is the wheel size any different with rain? 

9 minutes ago, Javier Pereira said:

Great thank you! Yes I agree with you I think its going to come down to what I want to compromise a little bit more, portability/maneuverability or comfort. Is the wheel size any different with rain? 

In the rain you'll find the ACM better as it's more enclosed though you can get/make a mudguard for the MSuper V3 so it doesn't spray you so much. 

I haven't been out in the rain on my Monster yet but I am predicting a double shower lol Hopefully someone with come up with a decent mudguard for that too which may/may not also help with the amount of dust the Monster kicks about.

As for your "How much 'juice' could you add in 30 min?" Get a fast charger - you'll be surprised :) 

6 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

My wheels stays the same size in the rain :D

LOL I like it :D 

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The manufacturer numbers are either straight lies or taken from 50 kg Chinese riders under ideal circumstances. My ACM 1300 gives me (80 kg, 6 ft) around 65 km (40 miles) until I reach the 20% battery mark at maybe 15-20 km/h speeds, so 1600 Wh (25% more) will give you your 50 miles until you reach 20% battery. It all depends on rider weight, windage, temperature, your speed and driving style, etc. You'll want some reserves, especially if you are time sensitive, can't need slowing down for battery reasons, so the 20% should be the end point to consider.

The fast/frequent charging should barely effect the batteries, a charge cycle is not how often you charge, but 100% battery is one charge cycle so 20 charges for 5% battery is just one charge cycle. The 5A fast charger current is still very low compared to what the cells in the battery packs are built for so this won't effect them either. For longevity, it's more important to stop charging a few % below 100, for example.

Not sure if getting others to learn EUCs is going to work, but if you can find interested people, good for you. Certainly an interesting idea, but you might also look at small scooters or whatever as easier alternatives. But "the pet company with the electric unicycles" would certainly be a nice publicity gimmick.

Also, consider that EUCs are not going to be that fast. In the inner city I think 10 mph is realistic (with traffic lights, traffic, etc). Suburbs a bit faster. But that means, 5 miles is easily 20 or more minutes of riding so don't overestimate how quick you can get to further away clients and for what distances electric unicycles are worth it. They are more like bikes, not motor vehicles, in what they are good for.

As said, with 5A you can roughly say charging time = riding time, so charging for 30 mins will give you 30 mins of riding. You could even use two or even three 5A chargers but that would require modifying your wheel (multiple charge ports) if you want even faster charging (do NOT use more than 5A on one charge port). But if your riding time is much higher than the work time, I would say get something faster than a EUC. [The math is: wheel voltage * charger current = how many Wh you can charge per hour, so e.g. 84V * 5A = 420 W = 420 Wh/h. But the last 20 or 10% will be slower by default, so the real time is a hour longer or so.]

And you'll probably need a small back pack at least, for the charger.

Btw, if you plan to walk dogs, EUCs are quite neat for that. The dogs get a bit of an excercise instead of a slow walk (but you can't charge then).

For now, I think getting one for yourself and having first hand experience is the way to go.

Yup "getting one for yourself and having first hand experience is the way to go" that's the plan :thumbup:. And yes the job is time sensitive and I wouldn't be able to get that extra charge if use it to walk them so I think I'll definitely need the 1600 Wh for sure (ouch!).

It would be a great publicity gimmick! I could even paint them and put the name of the company in the helmet and wheel and I would be a walking (rolling actually!) talking publicity sign! If you even add that I could ultimately have some sitter using it too, it could be great!

:laughbounce2::roflmao::w00t2: omg to the manufacturers numbers!

5 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

HI Javier and welcome.

It sounds like you have a cool business with unusual aspects to it.  I looked at your website and you offer all sorts of things.  One of the things must be washing and grooming right?  And for that you'll require supplies and a backpack.  For a really professional dryer, they get heavy and bulky.  But to get things done in a timely manner, I think it will be expected by clients.  If you just show up with a human hair dryer, the estimate of your professionalism is going to be harder to maintain at a high level.

You're also young and very thin.  When I was 18 I was quite thin and still 175 pounds at 6' 1 1/2".  I mean legs like sticks.  If anything, you are likely to fill out over time.  

That plus the likelihood of your needing to carry grooming products and devices makes me think you'd be well served to buy conservatively, tending toward having as much power as possible.

Your business is one that isn't done from behind a desk either, ,so having extra power to help keep you from premature power cut-offs that dump you into a faceplant that could effectively end your income stream would be very wise.

I'm a long-time dog guy (four Australian shepherds ATM) just learning about EUC's myself, so don't have experience riding any machines.  But Jason at ewheels does, and on different pages on his site, he lists characteristics of EUC's based on his personal testing of them. He doesn't just type up the manufacturer's claims on his website.  So you might find his figures on realistic distances covered and weight capabilities useful.  Checking and rechecking his site has helped keep my freewheeling notions in check as I considered one model after another, often based on the satisfaction people had who might have weighed 50 pounds less than I do or who rode primarily on flat land instead of hills, or smooth paved roads instead of trails.

I'd check out Jason's online site and watch the videos on youtube of speedyfeet, ,a UK distributor.  He has tried a lot of wheels and gives good long reviews and also ride videos which can help you judge how a machine might handle different conditions.  Few riders are going to have the background and experience to give a clearer picture than those two guys can.  

Especially, I think, when it comes to riders approaching 200 pounds, like you and like me.  I've had to give up on most models because they just aren't capable of pushing a body like mine around safely.  Either they can't do it at all or they can only do it under ideal conditions that would leave us with a lousy safety margin.

And since you are talking about incorporating a EUC into making your living, you have to be extremely careful in your decision, IMO.

Yes! You nailed it (excluding the grooming)! We have an affiliate mobile groomer that we use for that so thankfully I wouldn't have to carry all those utensils ;). Yup I say Jason's website and talked to him, he seems really nice! I started watching videos a few weeks ago, its a nightmare because I can't stop hahha

6 minutes ago, TremF said:

In the rain you'll find the ACM better as it's more enclosed though you can get/make a mudguard for the MSuper V3 so it doesn't spray you so much. 

I haven't been out in the rain on my Monster yet but I am predicting a double shower lol Hopefully someone with come up with a decent mudguard for that too which may/may not also help with the amount of dust the Monster kicks about.

As for your "How much 'juice' could you add in 30 min?" Get a fast charger - you'll be surprised :) 

Yes right, the Msuper tends yo get your behind dirty :D

However, it's easy to get a mudguard, or 3D print one. The wheel size doesn't really matter in the rain from what I've experienced (comparing the MCM4 to the Monster), but I would be worried to ride too long in the rain of the ACM while with my MCM2s I don't care as it's proved to be reliable under heavy rain.

In 30 minutes, for a 1600Wh battery, you'll be adding close to nothing, you need a 4A charger or a Charge Doctor with double entry to get 3A at least. You need 6h to fully charge a 1600Wh battery with 2 standard chargers.

15 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

My wheels stays the same size in the rain :D

:laughbounce2::roflmao::w00t2::thumbup:

11 minutes ago, TremF said:

Thanks man!

2 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Yes right, the Msuper tends yo get your behind dirty :D

However, it's easy to get a mudguard, or 3D print one. The wheel size doesn't really matter in the rain from what I've experienced (comparing the MCM4 to the Monster), but I would be worried to ride too long in the rain of the ACM while with my MCM2s I don't care as it's proved to be reliable under heavy rain.

In 30 minutes, for a 1600Wh battery, you'll be adding close to nothing, you need a 4A charger or a Charge Doctor with double entry to get 3A at least. You need 6h to fully charge a 1600Wh battery with 2 standard chargers.

:P

Sounds good!

buying one or getiing it 3D printed (university has them hehehe) will definitely be great!

The plan would be to mod it and make it a little bit more water resistance or find/make a protector that could do that

8 minutes ago, Javier Pereira said:

Yes! You nailed it (excluding the grooming)! We have an affiliate mobile groomer that we use for that so thankfully I wouldn't have to carry all those utensils ;). Yup I say Jason's website and talked to him, he seems really nice! I started watching videos a few weeks ago, its a nightmare because I can't stop hahha

LOL me neither ...

Although, I often use them to relax. Especially the trial riding vids, so soothing ... :)  

I just wanna live like that a little. :)

On 5/6/2017 at 3:01 AM, Javier Pereira said:

Hey NICE man! We should totally meet up or something! I live near ballston metro (4200 N. Carlin Springs Rd.) What about you?

Where did you buy it from? Do you recommend the seller?

Thanks for the aesthetic update of the MSuper!

i live up near chain bridge rd, at the northernmost point - ain't a lot of flat places to practice turning and stuff.. but i'm getting my hill training! as i'm sure you know, though, there are a lot of nice spots in the ballston area... i think about it everytime i walk through there! i got my wheel through jason mcneil and i would absolutely recommend him!

On 5/6/2017 at 5:55 AM, Pingouin said:

I normaly get 50 miles out of my ACM 1300Wh at an average speed of 18kph but I weight 60kg. I think that regarding what you said, the best wheel for you would be either the Msuper3s+ 1600Wh or the ACMs+ 1600Wh, they would give you about the same range, the Msuper3 being more comfy and stable and the ACM being more agile and powerful (due to smaller diameter wheel).

Another thing to consider, the ACM is a little cheaper than the Msuper, and it is a better hill climber, but that's not very important if you ride on flat streets. Honestly, I've tested both, I own the ACM 1300Wh, if you want to go at higher speeds (35kph+) most of the time, then the Msuper3 is better because I don't feel like the ACM is very stable at speeds above 35kph (that's why I got the Monster), but if you're often encountering pedestrians all over the place, the ACM is easier to manoeuver.

You decide ^^

Putting the Msuper pedals on the ACM is not an issue at all, they are longer than the ACM, but not wider, so they wouldn't be closer to the ground.

Don't shy away from the scooter options. Better stability and still portable. 

On 5/10/2017 at 10:55 AM, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Don't shy away from the scooter options. Better stability and still portable. 

Yes, the thing is that I feel weird going up to apartment buildings and people's houses with that. The compact factor of the unicylce makes me feel a little bit better about that plus I feel like they offer less speed and fun :P

11 hours ago, Trey Lewis said:

I have to put in my vote for the 1600W v3. Make sure to get the guard though. I ride an ACM1300 primarily and I think for your range and comfort the V3 is a more solid option.

Yup. Any recommendations on where to buy it? I've heard 3D Hubs and just get it 3D printed from them. Other possibilities?

Archived