Ninebot E+ leaning to the left?

octalmage

I've had a Ninebot E+ for almost a year now, and it's been great. At some point I got an S1 and let me GF ride the E+ to work. Wednesday we decided to fill up the tires on both of our wheels. Thursday on the ride in she reported that the wheel was acting weird, like something was off center. She felt that it was leaning to the left and her left foot really hurt when she got home. I took it into work today and something is totally up. It feels like the gyro is off center. It doesn't always lean the the left, but it feels like it pushes that way on a rotation if that makes sense. It feels like a wobbly gyro. 

Has anyone experienced this? I don't imagine filling the tries to 45psi could be the issue, but I let some air out this morning. The tire itself appears to be center and in pretty good condition. I'm wondering if calibrating could help, but I'm afraid to mess it up more. 

Any help would be very appreciated! 

Since it happened right after filling the tire, I would guess tire wear and the new pressure made it more sensitive to the wear.  Try different lower pressures if possible to see if it feels like it used to.  Also measure the foot pedal to ground height on both sides to see if something has shifted or bent.  Has it fallen recently?  Is there a bubble in the tire somewhere that was maybe exposed by pumping it up higher.  Sometimes those are hard to see.  You can spin it slowly while holding something near the tread and see if it wobbles.

If you do change the tire, I'd suggest replacing with a stock tire as those really are a fantastic riding and long lasting tire.  They are also not too expensive.

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/ninebot-one-parts/products/ninebot-one-c-e-replacement-tire-1

http://www.ninebotus.com/tire-original-replacement-ninebot-one-c-e-series-tire/

If you want to calibrate, do the FULL Manual Calibration and not the one in the app as the app calibration does not calibrate left to right.  I don't believe this will be the fix though as it sounds like a physical issue.  You can find Calibration Instructions here:  

I can confirm this on my NB1 E+. One time it was so bad, it felt like I would be riding for my first 100km. Almost lost control at one point due to the weird feeling. At this time, I had been riding on low pressure for quite a while (I do this during winter time, since it gives some extra traction on snow) and then filled back up to my usual summer configuration of 4 bar (60 psi). However, since I knew I was riding at 60psi before, I didn't reduce pressure. I just got used to it again.

I think the leaning to the left is due to the NB1 being off balance by design. The heavy battery pack on one side and the light electronics on the other side result in an unbalanced wheel to begin with. The harder the tire is, the more you can feel this small imperfection, but as with many other things in life, we adapt pretty quickly to it.

Ha wow, thanks so much! This makes a lot of sense and is extremely useful. This morning I was looking at buying a new wheel. I let some air out this morning but I'll try it again. We'll see how it goes for the ride home.

Every time I refill my tire on my NB1 E+ I feel like I have to learn to ride again.   If I let the air pressure fall to like 35psi and then refill it to 55psi it is like I'm riding a very different wheel!   Every time!

The more pressure in the wheel, the more it turns on a "knife's edge".  When I am accustomed to getting a certain turning response at a lower air pressure, and then I raise the air pressure I get a much different turning response.  Now that I understand that, it takes me about an hour of riding to start to adjust my 'muscle memory' to the new reality.  It is very weird at first, like I don't know how to ride anymore.  But then I adjust.

You don't necessarily need to remove any air.  If you are like me, you will adjust and be fine in a short time.  Sure feels weird!

Its the same when i try to use my friends wheel. we both got the gotway acm. he is a lot heavier than me and has to fill the tyre up more. When i use his wheel, the left side of the wheel presses against my leg all the time. Same goes for him when using mine. I think its just that we get used to one hardness and anything more or less messes with our balance as the normal psi requires is what our brain has learned at. Just think about all the small and fine muscles that we have to controll in order to keep balance. 

I wonder if it has anything to do with foot dominance. I'm right handed and I ride skateboards/snowboards with my left foot forward and I mount my EUC with my left foot first. My EUC leans to the right.

What about everyone else? If we get enough data a pattern might emerge.

I'm right handed and skate goofy foot. I push normal when I skate, but when I was really little I pushed mongo. I mount my EUC by propping it up with my left foot and hopping on with my right foot. So, Mongo style. 

3 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I mount my EUC by propping it up with my left foot and hopping on with my right foot. So, Mongo style. 

Me, too, but recently have learned to mount with the right foot on first and hopping on with the left foot.  Got the idea from one of @Marty Backe's videos where I noticed he can do it with either foot.  It was his series of videos on learning to ride backwards.  He said he practiced it because he thought it would be a useful skill and come in handy now and then.  Now I can mount with either foot, but can only dismount to the right so far.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Me, too, but recently have learned to mount with the right foot on first and hopping on with the left foot.  Got the idea from one of @Marty Backe's videos where I noticed he can do it with either foot.  It was his series of videos on learning to ride backwards.  He said he practiced it because he thought it would be a useful skill and come in handy now and then.  Now I can mount with either foot, but can only dismount to the right so far.

Hey, nice to hear someone got something out of one of my videos :D  I still favor starting with my right foot on the pedal and pushing off with the left, but I'm very comfortable using either foot for mounting or dismounting. It's also good to practice mounting without looking at your feet.

These can all be learned by anybody. Just takes some mental commitment to practice. 

13 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with foot dominance. I'm right handed and I ride skateboards/snowboards with my left foot forward and I mount my EUC with my left foot first. My EUC leans to the right.

What about everyone else? If we get enough data a pattern might emerge.

I'm right handed and prefer to mount the EUC with my right foot first. When I feel it leans to a certain side, it leans to the left. I'm beginning to think that it's not related to the battery after all. Since the battery is very close to the wheel anyways, the imbalance it causes may be of theoretical nature more than anything else.

8 hours ago, Christoph Zens said:

I'm right handed and prefer to mount the EUC with my right foot first. When I feel it leans to a certain side, it leans to the left. I'm beginning to think that it's not related to the battery after all. Since the battery is very close to the wheel anyways, the imbalance it causes may be of theoretical nature more than anything else.

The battery is on the right anyway, so if anything it should lean to the right.  I'm starting to think it's all in my head or it's wind direction or maybe I have weaker muscles on one side, but if it ever feels like it's unbalanced, it's leaning to the right, never left for me.

I tend to put more weight on one leg when I stand due to knee issues. It's not much, but it's exponentially more exposed on the wheel. 

Stand on two identical scales with one foot on each and see what you get. 

That's such a smart idea about the scales.  I don't own two identical scales though, do you?  I don't own any scales actually, except scales for food. I could go to a store and open two identical scales up and try it there.

Security: Sir, do you intend to pay for those? And why are you standing on two scales at the same time? 

Me: Oh, I'm just trying to figure out why my electric unicycle leans to one side. A guy on the forum said I might have a knee issue.

Security: Your electric uni single?

Me: Never mind.  Here, hold my keys, phone and wallet, will you?  They might be the culprits. 

52 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

That's such a smart idea about the scales.  I don't own two identical scales though, do you?  I don't own any scales actually, except scales for food. I could go to a store and open two identical scales up and try it there.

Security: Sir, do you intend to pay for those? And why are you standing on two scales at the same time? 

Me: Oh, I'm just trying to figure out why my electric unicycle leans to one side. A guy on the forum said I might have a knee issue.

Security: Your electric uni single?

Me: Never mind.  Here, hold my keys, phone and wallet, will you?  They might be the culprits. 

Hahahaha!  I like that you thought it all the way through!  ?  You might even make the news...

Well, maybe just two scales since they SHOULD be measuring the same. 

I've done a lot of riding recently and I think I have figured out the leaning issue.  Whenever I felt my bot leaning harder against my right leg I examined my feet position and noticed that my right foot was closer to the outside of the pedal than my left foot.  This meant that more leverage force was being applied to the right pedal than the left, making the bot lean to the right.  By adjusting my feet so they are both in exactly the same position, the leaning goes away and the bot stays centrally balanced.  Why was this only happening with right lean and not left and why only sometimes?  I think it's because when mounting, I place my left foot on first, placing it carefully where I want it, and then hop my right foot on second.  The right foot rarely goes exactly where I want it and due to the skateboard grip tape on my pedals it can be hard to reposition my feet perfectly.  So if my right foot ended up more to the outer part of the pedal I would get leaning to the right.  If it ended up pretty symmetrical there would be no lean.  Now when I make sure to position my feet as symmetrically as I can, the leaning goes away.  Try it and see if this fixes the problem for you. 

It's gone away 100% at this point, I can't believe it just different tire pressure. Everything felt fine after just a few days. 

@RooMiniPro When I kick off before my ride to work I hold on to something to get my feet perfect, then I don't step off the whole ride unless I have to make an unexpected stop. I've noticed that your feet position makes a huge difference, so I try to get that as centered as possible. 

Thanks again everyone! 

Archived