Excitement about KS16S Sport?

dpong

On the reliability of KS total km counter: I just got feedback from a friend with a 2016 KS16. 

At first, his wheel was resetting the counter every time he switched it of (that was a bit trying on his patience as he was desperate to reach 100km total to unlock the noobs speed restriction :dribble:)

Next 2 firmware updates wiped everything - including his total km counter.

In short: whatever that counter shows - take it with a grain of salt...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dpong said:

Wait.  You have girlfriend?  :cheers:

Well, considering we've been together for about 15 years, "girlfriend" might not be the exactly correct term, but we're not married either  ;) 

1 hour ago, Tilmann said:

On the reliability of KS total km counter: I just got feedback from a friend with a 2016 KS16. 

At first, his wheel was resetting the counter every time he switched it of (that was a bit trying on his patience as he was desperate to reach 100km total to unlock the noobs speed restriction :dribble:)

Yeah, the tire looks more worn too, plus the seller never claimed it was ridden for that low amount of kilometers, probably it has reset at some point. I just took it for a spin, visiting my cousin across the town, and the mileage went up to 169km, so at least it seems to work (for now ;)).

Just now, esaj said:

Yeah, the tire looks more worn too, plus the seller never claimed it was ridden for that low amount of kilometers, probably it has reset at some point. I just took it for a spin, visiting my cousin across the town, and the mileage went up to 169km, so at least it seems to work.

Who cares? It was a sweet deal, it's nicely broken in and it gives you a nice ride - what more can you ask? And it will be in a million pieces in no time anyway, because you developed a plan to upgrade the poor thing with a flux compensator :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

BTW - beat you to that "girlfriend" thing: 18 years!

2 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

Who cares? It was a sweet deal, it's nicely broken in and it gives you a nice ride - what more can you ask? And it will be in a million pieces in no time anyway, because you developed a plan to upgrade the poor thing with a flux compensator :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Yeah, I'm certainly not complaining, it works just fine. :) A bit underpressured tire and the pedals are different, which felt weird at first, but other than that, runs without problems. I used the Riding mode, felt maybe a bit softer than the S, but that might be just due to the tire needing a bit more air. Didn't charge it all the way to full, but it could handle that around 34km trip just fine, didn't even hit the battery warnings, cruising back at the nice average speed of 24.xx km/h ;)  Not too nice weather to ride in though, it's around 5 Celsius, and I didn't wear any gloves under the wrist guards. 

2 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

BTW - beat you to that "girlfriend" thing: 18 years!

Congrats, that's a long time too :)

On 5/26/2017 at 6:11 PM, esaj said:

Well, considering we've been together for about 15 years, "girlfriend" might not be the exactly correct term, but we're not married either  ;) 

Great! Relationships are built on trust and respect not on a documented certificate. Does your girlfriend ride? 

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Great! Relationships are built on trust and respect not on a documented certificate. Does your girlfriend ride? 

Not at least yet, she isn't totally opposed against trying to learn, but doesn't seem too excited about the idea either ;)  We'll see, I'm not riding right now either, as I got some fever... I already had a runny nose and sore throat sometime in the week, but it seemed to pass. Guess I tempted fate too much with my long friday-night ride in cold weather (+5-6C / around 41F), and now pay for it ;) 

On 24.5.2017 at 6:49 AM, HermanTheGerman said:

@esaj, Thanks, very interesting.

I didn't like it back then (riding mode "riding mode") when I started with the wheel, but at this time I couldn't ride well.

Because of your words I'll try it again after 9 months now on a longer ride, let's see how it feels, I'll tell you.

Ok, I tried "ridingmode" again after a long time, for approx. 10 kilometers, and can say now for sure that I don't like it. For me the wheel felt like a pendulum filled with sand, which must move with the wheel at every brake- and acceleration action.  

Maybe that after such a long time in "playermode"  I'm to much used to it to change it, but it was worth a try, thanks for the impulse.

On 26.5.2017 at 11:09 PM, Tilmann said:

Though I cannot confirm from my experience that the number was reset during fw upgrades (I upgraded 1.17->1.21->1.23->1.25), I can confirm that the number is wrong. :)

I tested it with GPS distances on a Garmin 64S and on a Samsung Galaxy S5.  While the 2 GPS devices only had a difference below 2% on a 25km ride, the value of the Kingsong app was 27% to high.  But it's a quite constant factor, so if you subtract 27% from every distance value on the app, you are quite close to the real distance (at least with my wheel). :D

@esaj: My best wishes and I serve you in my thoughts a hot tea with a lemon to overcome the flu !

On fw1.25 if you close the app first and then power off the wheel....all added km from the last ride are forgotten (even on iPhone)!

you have to power off the wheel first to "save" the added km of your last ride...

one of the faults of 1.25

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2017 at 8:29 PM, esaj said:

Oh no, never... especially with a new wheel in the next room, didn't affect my concentration at all, of course... :whistling:

You probably won't be as jealous after you see this:

qw6EVVt.png

Tadah! :D  Ain't she a thing of beauty? :w00t2:  My own awesome handiwork! :smartass: I think I might have some sort of "reverse Midas-touch", instead of turning things into gold, they turn into poo.gif... well, I'll call it "temporary" padding & reflectors, and when they're still there a year or two from now... I'll still call them "temporary". Although since I used the crappiest two-sided tape (in the hopes that I can get it off later on), it might not hold that long.

Now that I'm pretty much ready to set off... it looks like it's starting to rain  :thumbup:

The tape was exactly as crappy as I had hoped. Kept the pads on to this point (well, one corner of a longer piece had come off and some pads had torn, probably when the wheel went bumping down a rocky path), was easy to remove just by pulling and left zero residue  :)  The wheel's pristine underneath, save for a scratch in the middle of one pedal that wasn't padded.

5 hours ago, esaj said:

The tape was exactly as crappy as I had hoped. Kept the pads on to this point (well, one corner of a longer piece had come off and some pads had torn, probably when the wheel went bumping down a rocky path), was easy to remove just by pulling and left zero residue  :)  The wheel's pristine underneath, save for a scratch in the middle of one pedal that wasn't padded.

I still remember the kindergarteners you recruited to apply the protective foam. Classic! ?

45 minutes ago, esaj said:

Kindergarteners would have done better work  ;)

? I had a cartoon when I saw first saw your amazing creation in 2017 but it has since disappeared. You are safe if anyone tries to steal it. One of a kind buddy!

Archived