Southern California - Griffith Park ride on 06May2017

Join us as we host a Griffith Park group ride for a fellow wheeler visiting from San Francisco, @who_the

We'll be departing the Greek Theater parking lot this Saturday morning at ~9am.  https://goo.gl/maps/C36TEmWzpxL2

We'll be visiting these famous landmarks: the helipad, water tank, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood Sign (if there aren't too many horse people around ;), LA Zoo, and we'll wrap it up with a ride along the LA River.

Post here if you'll be joining us so that we'll wait for you before departing

@jrkline @noisycarlos @Questor @nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @swvision  @Ando Melkonyan @abinder3 @captainwells @Tjtripp

Marty

Oh man !!!!!!!!!!!!  I think now I'd be able to handle that first hill before the helipad okay. (I assume you'll be starting out the 'adventure' going up that hill like we did last time.)

I'm leaving for Thailand on May 11th and I need this coming weekend to get things set up for the trip.

Have fun though !!!!
(I'll probably actually take a 2 hour ride at the beach here between Marina Del Rey and Torrance beach at about 6:30am on that Saturday morning though.:D)

Allen

This sounds awesome. Looking forward to joining for a bit of NoCal-SoCal camaraderie on my MSuper V3! @abinder3 that Marina Del Rey ride sounds awesome too. I'm staying in Venice. Maybe I can join you too?

26 minutes ago, who_the said:

This sounds awesome. Looking forward to joining for a bit of NoCal-SoCal camaraderie on my MSuper V3! @abinder3 that Marina Del Rey ride sounds awesome too. I'm staying in Venice. Maybe I can join you too?

You definitely need to ride the Venice Beach bike path. A great ride is to start at the pier (https://goo.gl/maps/RLoqWQznziK2) and ride north, at least to the Santa Monica Pier (https://goo.gl/maps/Efdm9YjXbnM2), which you can ride under and continue up to Pacific Palisades. And while in the Venice area, get off the bike path and ride along the Ocean Front Walk (https://goo.gl/maps/GQKcNrjWj842) where all the vendors and and masses of people are.

You'll never have time to do the Saturday morning ride with @abinder3 and also go for a ride at Griffith. Also, the Griffith Park ride will use much of your your MSuper battery (assuming you have the 820wh version), so come fully charged.

If you will be in Venice Friday afternoon (~2pm) we could ride that section then. It's been a few weeks, but I often ride the beach path once a week on one of my long lunch breaks.

Oops sorry misread @abinder3's ride as Sunday. You're of course right, maybe I'll ride the Venice ride you suggest on Sunday morning! If Saturday night doesn't get too wild. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :crying:

I'm riding a 1300 and will indeed arrive fully charged. Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, who_the said:

Oops sorry misread @abinder3's ride as Sunday. You're of course right, maybe I'll ride the Venice ride you suggest on Sunday morning! If Saturday night doesn't get too wild. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :crying:

I'm riding a 1300 and will indeed arrive fully charged. Thanks again!

Ah, you have the MSuper V3s. Great. BTW, I was editing my original reply so I don't know if you saw my offer to ride the beach Friday afternoon. No big deal if you can't, but wanted to offer.

Yes, V3 with the wood (grain) paneling! Thanks for the offer Marty. I'll be driving down Friday at that time so regrettably will have to miss. My wife is bringing her Inmotion V8 so maybe we'll go for a night ride after we pull in. :)

3 minutes ago, who_the said:

Yes, V3 with the wood (grain) paneling! Thanks for the offer Marty. I'll be driving down Friday at that time so regrettably will have to miss. My wife is bringing her Inmotion V8 so maybe we'll go for a night ride after we pull in. :)

Great. That whole area has some nice riding for you two to enjoy.

See you on Saturday.

Hopefully by the weekend they will of cleared the sand off the bike bath here by the beaches. There was a lot of sand on the bike path from El Segundo to Hermosa pier.  

The time I went north to Pacific Palisades on the bike path, there was some sections in Venice Beach the sand across the bike path was very deep. 

Allen

1 hour ago, who_the said:

Yea that would of been nice but mine is on Saturday morning at about 6:30am.  You wouldn't have time or battery power left to ride in Griffith Park later with Marty.  They will probably ride about 20-25 miles there. 

This morning when I was riding back from Torrance Beach to El Segundo, a very thick fog rolled in and I was very busy looking for sand on the bike path, looking for people walking, looking for bikes suddenly appearing out of the fog, and to top it of the fog was getting on my glasses making it even harder to see !

Allen

3 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

This morning when I was riding back from Torrance Beach to El Segundo, a very thick fog rolled in and I was very busy looking for sand on the bike path, looking for people walking, looking for bikes suddenly appearing out of the fog, and to top it of the fog was getting on my glasses making it even harder to see !

Allen

Sounds like a pleasant beach ride ;)  I think I'll stick to the afternoons, but then I often have to deal with the wind :(

Cool. I'll be there. I might join a bit late though, I'll let you know closer to the date.

Funny, just this morning I took a ride to the Observatory to catch the sunrise. Here's the raw footage of my arrival.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Sounds like a pleasant beach ride ;)  I think I'll stick to the afternoons, but then I often have to deal with the wind :(

Yea. Not much wind usually in the morning. 

Allen

6 hours ago, noisycarlos said:

Cool. I'll be there. I might join a bit late though, I'll let you know closer to the date.

Funny, just this morning I took a ride to the Observatory to catch the sunrise. Here's the raw footage of my arrival.

Nice morning ride - looks so peaceful without the maddening crowds. I should do that one of these weekends. 

28 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Some of the weather reports are saying a good chance of rain Saturday.  Hopefully that won't be the case. 

Allen

Slight chance of rain by late Saturday. It'll be a pleasant cool Saturday morning for riding

Hi everyone, still waiting for my KS18 1680wh from ewheels Jason, it is on the way to CA from Miami. Maybe next time I will join the group again and without overheat (KS14c).:PAll all have fun !!!

Peter

@who_the, you may want to dress in layers as it may be chilly in the mountains tomorrow, at least at the beginning of the ride. Keep an eye on the local weather report.

Archived