My first faceplant

kasenutty

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can roll. I don't know how you teach this though. I rolled because I skateboarded my whole life and if I was gonna bail, I'd roll. It's in my muscle memory for bad falls So, when this thing cut off, I tucked my head in and rolled for it. I rolled a few times. I found three nicks on my helmet from the roll, so I figure at least 3 whole revolutions.

I got one small road rash on my hand and a bigger one on my knee, but that's it for abrasions. I have a lot of muscle soreness though. It felt like getting punched by Mike Tyson, even rolling. I was wearing a hoodie with a northface jacket over it too, which helped I think. 

I shudder to think of what would have happened if I just flopped down face first with no rolling. All my teeth would be gone and I might just be dead. 

10 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

You can roll. I don't know how you teach this though. I rolled because I skateboarded my whole life and if I was gonna bail, I'd roll. It's in my muscle memory for bad falls So, when this thing cut off, I tucked my head in and rolled for it. I rolled a few times. I found three nicks on my helmet from the roll, so I figure at least 3 whole revolutions.

I got one small road rash on my hand and a bigger one on my knee, but that's it for abrasions. I have a lot of muscle soreness though. It felt like getting punched by Mike Tyson, even rolling. I was wearing a hoodie with a northface jacket over it too, which helped I think. 

I shudder to think of what would have happened if I just flopped down face first with no rolling. All my teeth would be gone and I might just be dead. 

This Is what happens when you face plant at 20mph. Superman mode  IMG_0779.thumb.PNG.8202b72ac0f2f877276c9cedd59deb48.PNG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

Gosh, well I just had my first overlean incident today during a two hour ride. My neck and left upper leg are both sore. A presumably 16 mph + is really quite fast.

Near the end of this two hour tour, I was riding confidently and fast but add foolishly in there and that'd be about right. Going down a concrete bike path on a slight decline at no tilt back I hit the flat part. This is where I blew through the tilt back in an instant but I was still leaned forward. I recall the overspeed warning but there was NO tilt-back at all. Like a fat Italian man with short legs running uphill to catch a San Francisco trolley, my V5F+ was all heart but it just wasn't going to get under me.

For a very short time there was this disconcerting situation of leaning forward but the wheel is not going any faster. Rather, I feel the wheel slowly getting behind me, and I'm going down. I have just enough bend in my legs to kick off the wheel and land on my left leg, the shock is so great that my head snaps forward and now I'm looking at the ground. I take three steps and stop. The wheel is gone. I mean, the damned thing disappeared as if my magic. I find it way off the bike path and quite some distance in front of me. It went onward forever. Apparently no damage since it must have rolled after I came off. My foot behaves oddly and then  I notice my left shoe's sole peeled off in the front.

My first overlean and it was seriously scary. I only just had a smidgen of pedal and I would not want to imagine how much more difficult a cutout would be.

Damage: one destroyed shoe, one really sore neck, and a very light muscle tear on my left upper leg.

Lessons learned: I think at these higher speeds it's probably best to slide or roll. There is no walking it off at these speeds.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ouch!  :efee96588e:  That must have been an awful crash.  :efee78d764:  Were you wearing protective gear?  :eff01bbbfc:  I find sudden transitional areas need to be taken extra cautiously :efef50e3ba: to avoid those oh :eff0541f4a: moments.

Yes, even with my Gotway's I play it safe when hitting bumps or other transitions. I always try and slow down - certainly never accelerate into or out of a hill transition.

Those damn Inmotion death traps with their weak ass motors... I'll stick to my super-safe Gotway! ;)

In seriousness, this again shows you can't have a too strong motor as long as you can hold back from going too fast (then you just get the same problem at a higher speed). All these reservations about "too fast" wheels are backwards. The "slower" wheels are the dangerous ones.

Good hearing you had a warning it was coming and didn't hurt yourself! The thought of a cut out in the same situation is indeed scary.

Ugh today I had another 12 mph plus crash when I rammed my wheel into a curb I did not see. The wheel just stuck back there and this time I got decent hang time before running it off. Did it front of a large baseball crowd too that cheered.

I think ramming a curb has got to be about the safest crash you can do. The wheel just stops, it isn't going anywhere, and you've got your feet under you in a balanced position. It wasn't scary at all despite the speed. You can easily run this one out.

Learn to jump. I haven't learned that. Guess what I'm practicing tomorrow.

Welp, on the plus side, all this talk of face planting has inspired me to finally purchase some wrist guards...hoping that I don't have to learn from my own mistakes, but rather from everyone elses :smartass:

13 hours ago, Maximus said:

Welp, on the plus side, all this talk of face planting has inspired me to finally purchase some wrist guards...hoping that I don't have to learn from my own mistakes, but rather from everyone elses :smartass:

Absolutely!  It sucks that so often we can only seem to learn things the hard way!

22 hours ago, Maximus said:

From a recent Facebook post. This is why I try to always wear my gloves.

I'm still pretty sore, but have been taking leisurely rides anyway. Last night I went to a school and rode around in nothing but grass because it's the first few sunny days of the year. How fun. I'll just ride off the sidewalk and across a yard. It does really well, even on sorta steep grass hills. 

5 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I just saw the same thing @Marty Backe... my new guards should be in tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046EZ5A6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully my afternoon ride today doesn't yield any similar pictures to this one you posted :cry2:

Yes, scary. I've had two falls when I wasn't wearing my gloves and got road rash on my palms (nothing as bad as that picture) that took a few weeks to heal.

Although I don't wear wrist guards (yet) I'm a big believer in at least gloves.

I've bloodied my knees too, thus I try to wear knee guards too.

39 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

What's the problem? He looks better than most zombies. I think he could still get dates with live women.

Brains ..... BBBBRRRaaaaAAAAAIIINNNSSSSS!!!!!!!!

This is what a cut out, brown out, or overlean looks like. Note how inherently unstable an underpowered wheel is. I believe one of our forum members injured himself on one of these wheels.

The slow motion shots of the cut outs shows just how difficult it is to run the crash out. Interestingly, the slow motion shots show the wheel is not going forward on cut outs; therefore the wheel is no longer providing a platform for your feet to push off. This would be akin to slipping on wet ice as your feet go in the opposite direction of your body. An overlean crash is more akin to tethering off a diving board; you can still wave your arms, bend at the waist, and still be able to kinda get your feet under you.

This fundemental difference could be why forum members who have experienced cutouts state it is uterly different from a crash although I'm hypothesizing since I have never experienced a cutout.

29 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

This is what a cut out, brown out, or overlean looks like. Note how inherently unstable an underpowered wheel is. I believe one of our forum members injured himself on one of these wheels.

The slow motion shots of the cut outs shows just how difficult it is to run the crash out. Interestingly, the slow motion shots show the wheel is not going forward on cut outs; therefore the wheel is no longer providing a platform for your feet to push off. This would be akin to slipping on wet ice as your feet go in the opposite direction of your body. An overlean crash is more akin to tethering off a diving board; you can still wave your arms, bend at the waist, and still be able to kinda get your feet under you.

This fundemental difference could be why forum members who have experienced cutouts state it is uterly different from a crash although I'm hypothesizing since I have never experienced a cutout.

You've stated it perfectly. And I have experienced a couple cutouts and many crashes. Crashes are often survivable with no injuries or falls, Cutouts are opposite.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Eek!

Wrist guards or gloves is maybe inaccurate.

Imho they should most of all do 2 things:

• protect the heels of your hands (mostly) from abrasion
  • protect the heels of your hands (mostly) from impact/bruising/ramming rocks into them

I have these roller skating style protectors. You can wear actual gloves underneath if you want, for cold weather or additional protection. Part of a cheap set with knee and elbow protectors. I'm maybe going to look for a bit bigger/more cushioned alternatives, but they're certainly good enough.

(They look bashed up for some reason, I never actually crashed with themB))

15876.jpg

15881.jpg

23 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Eek!

Wrist guards or gloves is maybe inaccurate.

Imho they should most of all do 2 things:

• protect the heels of your hands (mostly) from abrasion
  • protect the heels of your hands (mostly) from impact/bruising/ramming rocks into it

I have these roller skating style protectors. You can wear actual gloves underneath if you want, for cold weather or additional protection. Part of a cheap set with knee and elbow protectors. I'm maybe going to look for a bit bigger/more cushioned alternatives, but they're certainly good enough.

(They look bashed up for some reason, I never actually crashed with themB))

15876.jpg

15881.jpg

Those look heavy duty. I would probably try and wear gloves underneath (for the fingers), but that might be too bulky. We (I) have to find a balance because my gear needs to be comfortable otherwise I'm not going to use it.

I did a bit of searching but couldn't find anything about these protectors that you posted. If you have a moment maybe you could post a link for additional info, if you have anything.

They're part of a simple set I got for cheap in a store (only thing they had), looks like it's meant for skating. The sales lady said the main purpose was to prevent having pebbles lodged in your hand, but they give a bit of stability on your wrist should you have an impact. Ideally, they would be stronger and most of all more cushioned to prevent bruising the heel of your hand (which impacts the ground first 99%) and to soften the blow/stabilize the wrist itself too, but haven't looked yet what's available (these aren't really designed for high speed impacts). I would not consider them heavy duty, just basic hard plastic instead of soft gloves (they are a bit smaller than they look in the photo)

It's a store brand (coming right from the factory in the same city our wheels come from;)) so they may not be available somewhere else, but sets like this should not be too hard to find.

There are also different variants, I got the one they had. Some examples:

http://www.firefly.eu/shop/firefly-protectives-black-white-sportsline-2.0-p26039 (the ones I have)

http://www.firefly.eu/shop/firefly-protectives-001-white-050-black-391-pink-proline-2.0-p26013 (very similar)

If you want to wear gloves underneath, you may need a bigger size (they fit my hand normally, but when I tried them with fabric-only semi-thick winter-ish gloves, they barely closed). I'm maybe going to get bigger ones for use with serious, thick winter gloves.

15883.jpg

50 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

They look like official Steam wrist protectors :D

Haha now that you say it... wow, indeed close! Good observation.

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Note how inherently unstable an underpowered wheel is.

Great video of underpowered wheels.  Luckily, they were so weak that the rider made them cutoff at very slow speed. They would be fine for light riders or children, but you can see at minute 8.10 how soft the wheel is.  Still rideable, but not accelerating fast or stopping fast safely, or even hitting very small transitions.  Thanks for posting the video.

I had my first real fall around 800 miles.  Overpowered a Ninebot E going up a hill and slid UP the hill.  Sliding on concrete around 12 mph is not fun.  I still have some scars on one elbow, and it took a few weeks for all the skin to heal.  I have ridden about 1500 more miles since them.  I am probably due.  I just got an Inmotion V8 that goes faster, but I am NOt pushing it, instead preferring to keep it below 15 and let the more powerful motor protect me.  I have not gotten the 'slow down' alarm once, not felt the tilt back.  Everytime I go riding, there are times where I am thinking "if this thing cut-out, I am screwed'

Archived