My first faceplant

kasenutty

14c at max speed. Thought maybe there's a little more speed past them beeps. There is not. There is only concrete.

Now i I stay home. That shit hurts like a mother. 

Thoughts:

There is no running out a 20 mph failure

wear helmet or die, I think I would've been fucked without mine, my noggin skipped across the ground two or three times as I rolled down the street. 

Roll. Rolling saved me

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kasenutty said:

14c at max speed. Thought maybe there's a little more speed past them beeps. There is not. There is only concrete.

Now i I stay home. That shit hurts like a mother. 

Thoughts:

There is no running out a 20 mph failure

wear helmet or die, I think I would've been fucked without mine, my noggin skipped across the ground two or three times as I rolled down the street. 

Roll. Rolling saved me

Wow, sounds scary. Is it true what Speedy Feet Ian says, that after your first bad fall you never want to go super fast again?

49 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Wow, sounds scary. Is it true what Speedy Feet Ian says, that after your first bad fall you never want to go super fast again?

I would guess that depends on the person...

I have smashed on the ground with 33kmh....that gave me more respect from higher speeds, and let me see that wearing safety gear when driving is necessary! But i still like riding fast a lot more than slow :-)

Another 14C outleaned (admittedly at 20 mph so I guess you can't blame the wheel)....

Did you have wrist guards/gloves or any other protection besides the helmet? What are your injuries?

Did you have an old firmware? From what I gathered the new 1.25 has better safety/would probably stop you from doing what you did.

Well, get better and thanks for the "experiment". It's funny how either everything goes right or you have catastrophic failure with EUCs, but there are no intermediate steps. I have to admit I only understood this after a (thankfully slow) crash too. It's just very unintuitive that "working oneself up" to crashes isn't really possible and you can't test the waters.

I watched Danny Macaskill yesyerday. He's come a long way but looks too perilous to imitate. Hope you enjoy the video. Get well.

His out takes for the final flip paint a more realistic picture than the flawless movie.

6 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Why did you think this? You are correct that there is a little bit more speed past those last beeps but those should only serve as a safety buffer.... not for actually cruising. One should never attempt to ride past the final warning otherwise you risk a faceplant. Hope you make a full recovery and get to riding again soon.

3 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

This was true in my particular case.  I must be that kind of person...  

After being in several car accidents, motorcycle accidents and power kiting accidents I am at a stage in life where I feel very fortunate to never have had any major injuries, but to no longer want to put myself at risk of injury. Unicycles fail once in a while and

I'm not willing to play Russian roulette with something that needs a constant power supply and software to keep my bones unbroken. So for me the only choice is to ride at a speed I think I can take a fall at with low risk of breaking body parts. I don't want to go any faster than 23kph on a self balancing machine. I know others enjoy 40kph and I'm happy that they have fun at those speeds. 

People slingshot!  That's so true.  The Chinese description is wheelbarrow, sounds much safer, but we know better.  Glad to hear you are not seriously injured.  Now that you have found the limit, what will you do next?

Hey dudes, I slept the pain away all day and am feeling a little better. 

Heres some road rash I got through my jeans. The worst pain is in my right ribcage, it got squished but didn't break. I felt it squeeze down though. 

I was wearing a helmet only, but thankful that I was. It could have been much worse, I am surprised it isn't more serious. I got the wind knocked out of me, it was a hard slam.

Wrist guards are a good idea. It was pretty scarey. It's just so fast when it happens. You can't really do anything.

This was my own fault, for sure. I usually need to learn stuff the hard way :D

image.jpg

Glad you're okay and hope you're back to normal and as confident as possible soon.

This kind of thing is why I'm so glad I studied jiu-jitsu when I was younger.  Learning how to fall has saved me from so many worse injuries.  I think falling properly should be taught in elementary school, as important as anything else you'll ever learn.  People fall all their lives, and the older you get, the worse the potential consequences.  A tiny fall for the elderly is often fatal if only because it exposes them to pneumonia in a hospital.

2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Hey dudes, I slept the pain away all day and am feeling a little better. 

Heres some road rash I got through my jeans. The worst pain is in my right ribcage, it got squished but didn't break. I felt it squeeze down though. 

I was wearing a helmet only, but thankful that I was. It could have been much worse, I am surprised it isn't more serious. I got the wind knocked out of me, it was a hard slam.

Wrist guards are a good idea. It was pretty scarey. It's just so fast when it happens. You can't really do anything.

This was my own fault, for sure. I usually need to learn stuff the hard way :D

image.jpg

you are a lucky dude. That is pretty minor.  If I find the link I will post of a dude that lost a lot of skin. Now he was even crazier. He was riding full speed no shirt, shorts and 0 protection. He lost lots of skin,

Yu are lucky you rolled. if you had slid you would be pretty raw.  I am glad you are well. The beeps can not be ignored.

I've got these nice thick foam with a plastic shell type of knee pads that velcro on.  I think they are more for carpet layers as they are pretty cushy.  They also have those motorcycle pants with built in slots for inserting protective pads.  You never appreciate or feel the need for more protective gear until you go airborne!  :popcorn: Then you think geez I wish I had worn... this and that...

3 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Amazingly, lots of people still don't believe that ... until it happens to them.

Here's one of my "favorite" post-crash palm pics:

6 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Good you say that....spread the word!!!

There are still some rumours that you can "react" on a cutout and run it out!

I also know from own experience that its just immediately slamming down :-(

On 5/2/2017 at 10:36 PM, KingSong69 said:

Good you say that....spread the word!!!

There are still some rumours that you can "react" on a cutout and run it out!

I also know from own experience that its just immediately slamming down :-(

Totally agree!

I think people confuse running out a crash versus running out a cutout. They are very different things. I've run out many crashes where I either hit something or lost control. Quite often you can run it out. But a cutout is out-of-the-blue and immediate. As I posted a couple of weeks ago, my cheapo wheel cutout on me when I was going maybe 5mph (8kph) and I was immediately sprawled on the ground with a bloody knee and road rash on my palms. I wasn't wearing anything but a helmet because "I was only going 5mph". Duh!

I think when you crash your pedals are still level with the ground and that affects your ability to run it out. But with a cutout the pedals tilt forward immediately which equals faceplant.

A cut out at max speed is a human rocket launcher. The idea of running it out is like a guy getting shot out of a cannon landing on his feet moonwalking. 

The worst part is I told my boss what happened and missed work, so now I can't ride my unicycle to/at work for like a week :D

ETA - Funny sidenote, my wife has finally started coming out with me riding on the Mini Pro. This faceplant happened right in front of her on her second night riding. She was completely traumatized! LOL

27 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

A cut out at max speed is a human rocket launcher. The idea of running it out is like a guy getting shot out of a cannon landing on his feet moonwalking. 

The worst part is I told my boss what happened and missed work, so now I can't ride my unicycle to/at work for like a week :D

ETA - Funny sidenote, my wife has finally started coming out with me riding on the Mini Pro. This faceplant happened right in front of her on her second night riding. She was completely traumatized! LOL

Dont show her the pictures I posted or she might never let you ride again. When I crashed my kids tried to take the wheel away from me. LOL.

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think people confuse running out a crash versus running out a cutout. They are very different things. I've run out many crashes where I either hit something or lost control. Quite often you can run it out. But a cutout is out-of-the-blue and immediate. 

I think when you crash your pedals are still level with the ground and that affects your ability to run it out. But with a cutout the pedals tilt forward immediately which equals faceplant.

That's just about the scariest yet useful post I've read here.

Everytime I've stepped off I've caught myself with my cat-like reflexes and my Adonis body and so I've wondered why people keep getting hurt with their cut offs. Now it makes sense.

Archived