French dealers and speed limit

From the German discussion thread. One guy visited the Paris meet up:thumbup: France has a 25 km/h speed limit for EUCs:

"Die meisten Wheels sind auch begrenzt auf 25. Zumindest wollten zwei, drei Leute unbedingt mit meinem fahren um mal schneller unterwegs zu sein. Die Drosselung scheint aber auch eher fakultativ. Einige haben die, andere Wheels wohl nicht. Aber um genaues zu sagen ist mein Französisch zu schlecht. Oder deren Englisch ;)"

[Sorry don't know how to quote cross-thread.]

"Most wheels are limited to 25 km/h. 2 or 3 people badly wanted to try mine so they could go faster. The limit mostly seems voluntary. Some wheels have it, some apparently not. My French is not good enough to say more. Or their English ;)"

--

Does someone know more details? Will the French dealers sell some wheels with crippled firmware or app, other than the regular versions? Or is this a misunderstanding and they just sell the regular wheels like everybody else?

Question is, whether buying from France is an option (at least for other Euro countries that's no stretch, and the French dealers seem to have very good availability/selection too so it would be good to have the option, e.g. French KS website currently has the 14B for 400€).

Hi,

In order for us not to be annoyed, we usually say in France that our EUC are limited to 25kph, for now it's not even true that EUC are limited to 25kph because the 25kph speed concerns all machines that have more than one wheel, but surely this will evolve with the new legislation coming through.

EUC that you buy in France are not limited to 25kph, they are limited to that speed only (for example with gotways) if you use the french app, my ACM was bought in France and I can go much faster than 25kph. The EUC that are limited to 25kph are those who are technically incapable of going faster, like the MCM4, V5f...and also all the kingsongs which are not unlocked (but that is also true in other coutries). There are no specific firmware for now, that would be too expensive btw.

I know a lot of french riders say that going above 25kph is crazy, and saying you do go above in France is not very welcomed by others, but that is due to our mentality that is to restrict everything :D

But hey, when you look closely, you'll see that even those guys who say going above 25kph is insane do it sometimes...

Hope I answered your question :)

Thank you! Good to hear the situation is not as dire, I was worried about a bad precedent (and less dealer options). 25 is too slow as you know yourself;)

I guess the dealers make the French app themselves? One German shop has done a translated Gotway app (also unlike Gotway they actually put it on the Play Store), so it must be like this. Will the apps automatically set speed limits/tiltback at 25 when you connect?

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thank you! Good to hear the situation is not as dire, I was worried about a bad precedent (and less dealer options). 25 is too slow as you know yourself;)

I guess the dealers make the French app themselves? One German shop has done a translated Gotway app (also unlike Gotway they actually put it on the Play Store), so it must be like this. Will the apps automatically set speed limits/tiltback at 25 when you connect?

For gotway, it's their new app for EU that restricted speed to 25kph, I don't think french dealers have the skills to program an app :D

In France, riders like us are considered to be the "hard core" riders, even though more and more people are suiting this category, I think that for the rest of the world it is the "normal" riders category. Like marty said, having a EUC that can't go above 25kph is nonsense for me and a bunch of people would loose interest in EUC if it was the case, including France, so it is not a very good marketing strategy to limit the speed, it's just for the lawmakers somehow..

Take inmotion for example, there communication was that their EUC were safe, modern, resonable, but they came out with the V8 with a speed that could exceed 25kph, the thing is, in 2015, 25kph speed was considered crazy fast, 20kph was considered fast, today things have changed, and people can reasonably expect more speed (maybe the 50kph is too much... but that's like sportscar that can go much faster than the highest speed limits).

When I connected my ACM to the new app, the tiltback was set to 24kph, I immediatly switched back to the old app and it was fine, so it seems that when you connect to these apps, the tiltback is automatically set to 24kph (unless it is a factory standard)

Just now, Pingouin said:

For gotway, it's their new app for EU that restricted speed to 25kph, I don't think french dealers have the skills to program an app :D

When I connected my ACM to the new app, the tiltback was set to 24kph, I immediatly switched back to the old app and it was fine, so it seems that when you connect to these apps, the tiltback is automatically set to 24kph (unless it is a factory standard)

Thanks again! But that does not sound good, some geolocking crap like KS or new wheels not working with the old app, and suddenly you're stuck with a crippled app/wheel. Too close to comfort for my liking:furious:

What exactly is the "new app for EU"? Maybe this is why newer wheels have tiltback default at 25 (my ACM did until I disabled it - hope it won't do anything when using the app again - will try when I don't wake people up with a beeping wheel;)).

35 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Like marty said, having a EUC that can't go above 25kph is nonsense for me and a bunch of people would loose interest in EUC if it was the case, including France, so it is not a very good marketing strategy to limit the speed

Depends on which market one wants to take over ;)

Archived