Dark mode/custom themes

Not sure if the forum software supports multiple themes, but if it does it'd be great to get a dark theme option. I'm most interested in a dark theme since I get an absurd number of migraines a month which make white webpages difficult to use(part of why I stick to the Discord more than the forum). If there's no pre-built dark themes, I'm happy to provide some color guidance to build one.

The software's build by Invision Power Services, and at least the mods can't change any of the forum themes or such. There is a "dark theme" available though:

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/7938-ips4-dark-theme/

No idea if it can be set per-user or if it will change the theme for all users, didn't look that closely. Only person who can make such changes anyway is @John Eucist

I've seen some forums where you can install a style mod and allow the user to select it from a drop-down menu either in their preference settings or at the bottom of the pages.  Each user can select which ever one they want.  I don't know how easy it is to do with Invision, but there's probably some how-to page somewhere.  Maybe Invision doesn't allow individual customizations per user?

Cool - if you are running Windows, try pressing Windows Key +, the Windows Key -, then CTRL-ALT-i in Windows... I never knew that...

22 hours ago, esaj said:

The software's build by Invision Power Services, and at least the mods can't change any of the forum themes or such. There is a "dark theme" available though:

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/7938-ips4-dark-theme/

No idea if it can be set per-user or if it will change the theme for all users, didn't look that closely. Only person who can make such changes anyway is @John Eucist

That theme is one and a half years old (possible incompatibility). I'm also pretty sure it changes it for all users.

21 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Cool - try pressing Windows Key +, the Windows Key -, then CTRL-ALT-i in Windows... I never knew that...

Wow. That works. Unless @ramma means ios, android, linux, or osx.

18 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe Invision doesn't allow individual customizations per user?

19 hours ago, esaj said:

Only person who can make such changes anyway is @John Eucist

Don't do it John! @Hunka Hunka Burning Love has enough toys to play with!:laughbounce2:

13 hours ago, John Eucist said:

Wow. That works. Unless @ramma means ios, android, linux, or osx.

Yep, I'm on Ubuntu. I'm guessing that's the inverse color shortcut? There's one on Mac too but I don't recall the shortcut (used to confuse teachers in computer labs with it!).

What I do right now is use a Chrome plugin called deluminate when my heads really acting up. I may try building a Stylish theme since sadly there doesn't seem to be any pre-built for the forum software, or if there are any they're listed under the specific forums URL without mentioning the software.

I moderate a few subs on Reddit where I in part manage the CSS, so if the opportunity does come up to add themes and creating them ourselves is the best option (ie, free), then I can give color advice. My subs use colors based partially on flux where the concept is to reduce certain wavelengths which reduces eye strain and helps maintain the circadian rhythm. Basically the same idea behind why newer phones are including a software blue light filter that adjusts throughout the day.

edit - Ah! One question answered! You can do multiple user selectable themes, per this support page.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Niiiice!  :eff034a94a:  There's a theme drop down selector at the bottom.  Works well!  :efeeec645d:  The reply boxes are still black text on white background though on iPhone.

Yes and the emoticons are kinda messed up because it doesn't expect a non-white background but it's not too bad. This was actually a theme by somebody else. Both me and @ramma have tried for hours getting one working ourselves and it didn't work so we settled with this pre-made solution. Not going to touch it for now. :P 

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The reply boxes are still black text on white background though on iPhone.

Quote boxes in the reply area are also a little off color wise. I can fix it when inspecting the CSS, but for some reason trying to change it in the theme on a demo site won't work. CSS is just confusing.

Past those things, the theme is awesome!

On windows 7 going from default to dark and then back to default, the scroll wheel on my mouse stops working.  If I go home to google and then back to the forum, the scroll wheel works again.  But it's not a problem, because I like the original theme best.  Just something that happened on my 6 year old laptop when I was trying the new theme option.  Dark does look pretty good,  I can see how it would help someone with light sensitivity.  Great to have another option!  And more smilies:efee47c9c8:

Have to re-iterate, again, how much I love this dark theme.

So easy on the eyes, and gives the forum a pseudo-futuristic vibe that the slightly dated-looking light theme doesn't.

I have defaulted to this for both my Mac and phone ?

53 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Well I have to admit, I have been using the dark theme myself ever since. Now I feel just like @ramma where I think EVERYTHING should be dark theme. Just like the way it used to be with MS-DOS and old mainframe terminals.

Might be worth check out the browser plugin stylish. There's rarely themes for non-mainstream sites, but for things like reddit, youtube, or wikipedia there's quite a few prebuilt themes. I also run a chrome theme that sets the new tab to a darker color, but sadly the way chrome renders pages causes short white page before the theme takes effect.

Archived