My thoughts about the gotway monster

Pingouin

Hi guys,

So I have received my Gotway Monster about a week ago, after having the chance to test it out on a trip, I was convinced that this EUC would be my next one.

Being lightweight, unlike most other people on this forum, I got the 84V 1600Wh version, I still get a decent range with it.

So what do I think about this Monster ? Well it's a blast to ride, it's the most comfortable EUC I have ever ridden, because of it's very wide tire, it absorbs road imperfections like a champ, the motor is very smooth but feels very strong and stable, tha algorithm compared to my ACM feels a little more forgiving and comfortable. The weak point is for turning, I really need to put an effort to have it to turn gently, because it is so heavy, but this is an asset when driving straight forward, as it seems to be on rails, it doesn't move a bit from it's heading. The only thing to remember is to really put your weight forward when you need to get along, it takes more effort than my other EUC.

Talking range, from my calculations, I should be getting about 85-90km before getting into the "20% turtle mode", that is plenty enough for me, it's only about 5km more than my ACM 1300Wh, but the Monster has a very different feel to it when riding, more "serious", I don't do any tricks on it, even backwards riding, as I want to reduce the times I scratch it.

For the charging time, I get about 5 to 6h charge time with CD & double stock charger (I use the one of my ACM and the original one), much more reasonable than the stock 12h charging time, and I don't like charging my EUC during the night so..

Talking speed, like Marty already said it, it feels very safe around 35kph (unlike the ACM), I got it ro reach 48kph but I wouldn't go any faster, despite not hearing a single beep, under 30% battery the speed is limited to 38kph (real speed) with my weight.

Another thing that is suprising, is that I can pass road imperfections while berely noticing them, very big contrast with my ACM or MCM4, overall I thing that this EUC is suited for offroad (flat) but also for the city, maybe not in very tight streets with hundreds of pedestrians, but in my city it's fine, I just need to calculate the eratic movements of other people much more than before, because the Monster is quite slow to react (or maybe I am :D )

Having a "14", "16" and "22" EUC really feels like a complete set, I mean that I don't really prefer one over another, it depends on my mood, or what I need to do, the Monster is not suited for small inner city shopping or going to a rdv, it's more for getting out, get some fresh air, have a blast !

Oh, one last thing I noticed, my Monster doesn't have the same pads as the ones on the other guys who own one on thuis forum (from what I saw), it's no longer the fat pads from the ACM, they are wider but thinner, for me it's better not being a tall person, but maybe it can slightly influence it's agility, but I can't really tell the difference for sure.

20170428_110830.jpg

Cool new toyB)

1. The wider and flatter side cushions seem to be the new Gotway standard. You can see some photos of them on speedyfeet, while the old photos show the ACM cushions.

2. Why does 1600Wh only give you 5 km more than 1300? 1600 is 20% more than 1300 (1554 Wh vs 1288 Wh) and 5km is not 20% more. Apparently the big tire makes it so much less battery efficient?

45 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

shions seem to be the new Gotway standard. You can see some photos of them on speedyfeet, while the old photos show the ACM cushions.

2. Why does 1600Wh only give you 5 km more than 1300? 1600 is 20% more than 1300 (1554 Wh vs 1288 Wh) and 5km is not 20% more. Apparently the big tire makes it so much less battery efficient?

Thank you for the information, yes it's a cool toy ^^ (and this one is really a "toy" because it doesn't serve any other purpose than simply the joy of riding)

I think it might be due to :

- more weight (about 5kg more)

- higher consumption during accelerations and hard breaking

- higher drag (bad cx)

- higer wheel friction dut to the wider tire

- my riding style on it compared to the ACM

I had the same thing with the KS18 680Wh & MCM4 680Wh, same battery capacity but the MCM4 gives me 50km while the KS18 only gave me 42km.

But still I may be wrong ^^

Love my MCM4. would be even better with a 2.25 or 2.5 tire. The MCM4 does not like cracks at full inflation. If I don't flex my knees and lower the pressure and try to smooth the ride, every crack feels like a hammer smashing on the wheel. 

The Moster possibly need an algorithm change. If they keep the same degrees for the close loop position error calculation then the wheel will need more pedal input from the rider.

the tangential distance the pedal has to travel is larger on the Monster. Also having a longer pedal to axel arm, it will feel softer to the rider since you have more leverage to keep in neutral position. 

It would be beneficial to try the ACM pedal to axel support arms and see if the wheel would feel more responsive. 

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Does 5 kg or the wheels' wind resistance really make such a difference? I don't believe it. The tire is the only thing that makes sense to me...

Hi, the 5kg don't make a big difference, but with 5kg less you can get about 4km more (from what I tested when carying my regular unicycle), the wind resistance is not very important (considering that there is no external wind) under 20kph, but if you often ride over 30kph it does make a difference.

Another thing I've noticed, when the battery gets below 50%, my speed is limited to about 45kph before I hear the final alarm, but that's still plenty fast, the Monster is capable of going faster than 35kph until it reaches 20%.. (must be more with the 2400Wh)

Today I've done 70km and I still had 41% left, so I guess 90km really is possible.

On 28/04/2017 at 3:54 PM, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Love my MCM4. would be even better with a 2.25 or 2.5 tire. The MCM4 does not like cracks at full inflation. If I don't flex my knees and lower the pressure and try to smooth the ride, every crack feels like a hammer smashing on the wheel. 

The Moster possibly need an algorithm change. If they keep the same degrees for the close loop position error calculation then the wheel will need more pedal input from the rider.

the tangential distance the pedal has to travel is larger on the Monster. Also having a longer pedal to axel arm, it will feel softer to the rider since you have more leverage to keep in neutral position. 

It would be beneficial to try the ACM pedal to axel support arms and see if the wheel would feel more responsive. 

I really enjoyed the MCM4 as my first real EUC, but it's not very comfortable compared to the Monster or even the ACM, I have no complaints with the algorithm of the Monster, because it doesn't lean forward when turning sharp, unlike the MCM4 (in comfort mode) & ACM.

I hope that with the future MCM4 pro coming out, they will have a better algorithm :)

On 4/28/2017 at 5:47 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

<snip>

I have the 1300wh ACM and can get a solid 45 miles. My 2400wh Monster gives me a solid 60 miles. I also thought that I would get more range on the Monster. But after thinking about it a bit I've concluded

• Monster weighs much more
  • Giant tire compared to the ACM
  • And perhaps the biggest reason is that you ride a lot faster on the Monster. It's very easy for me to cruise at 23 - 25 mph on the Monster. Wind resistance versus power consumption is not a linear relationship, so cruising at these higher speeds sucks the battery dry.

If I was somehow able to force myself only to ride the Monster at 18mph max I would probably get much more range.

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:
  • And perhaps the biggest reason is that you ride a lot faster on the Monster. It's very easy for me to cruise at 23 - 25 mph on the Monster. Wind resistance versus power consumption is not a linear relationship, so cruising at these higher speeds sucks the battery dry.

This is sooooooo true, I try to avoid riding fast, I've managed to limit my speed with my ACM, but after getting comfortable with the Monster, I can't ride slow (unless there are people around) on it, it just feels so good at high speeds (21-25mph), but I still manage to get descent range out of it (55miles), a little less than Marty but I have the 1600Wh version, and certainly being smaller and ligher plays a big role in it, and I may be riding a little slower.

On 4/28/2017 at 8:47 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

I wished I could test the range of my GW 1600!  Right now I'd be satisfied with just for a ride around the block!  

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I have the 1300wh ACM and can get a solid 45 miles.

That is great mileage! My 1600 will go....... as far as I can carry it! :P

4 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Hi, the 5kg don't make a big difference, but with 5kg less you can get about 4km more (from what I tested when carying my regular unicycle), the wind resistance is not very important (considering that there is no external wind) under 20kph, but if you often ride over 30kph it does make a difference.

Doesn't the ACM weigh about 37 lbs and the 1600wh Monster weigh about 70 lbs?  That's a lot more than 5kg.  This is where some people may be confused when the weight difference is said to be only 5kg. 

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

And perhaps the biggest reason is that you ride a lot faster on the Monster. It's very easy for me to cruise at 23 - 25 mph on the Monster. Wind resistance versus power consumption is not a linear relationship, so cruising at these higher speeds sucks the battery dry.

If I was somehow able to force myself only to ride the Monster at 18mph max I would probably get much more range.

That explains it! Does not even have to be wind resistance, the motor is just less efficient at higher speeds. Thanks!

Pingouin...

If you had a choice to have just one wheel, would you stay with ACM or choose Monster?

I have ACM now, have an opportunity to get decent price on MSuper 1300 battery, but "I THINK" I would like monster.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2017 at 11:58 AM, yourtoys7 said:

If you had a choice to have just one wheel, would you stay with ACM or choose Monster?

For me, Monster is too huge to be my only wheel. In my opinion, if we are limited to only one wheel, 16 inches combines the maneuverability and portability of smaller wheels with the cruising comfort of larger wheels. So ACM would be my choice.

Archived