First EUC Purchase - Recommendations?

Whinters

Hey everyone,

Been researching EUCs and lurking on here for a while now - and finally decided to jump on board with a purchase.  That's the easy part out of the way - now comes the difficult decision of choosing one!

I've pretty much settled on one of the following three:

InMotion VF5+
InMotion V8
KingSong KS16

I definitely prefer the looks of the InMotion offerings, although not so struck on the jazzy lights of the V8 (so would probably disable them immediately).  The VF5+ is definitely the most appealing of them, but would I regret going for the 14" option a few weeks after purchase?  Are the 16" options really the sensible choice in terms of not immediately seeking an upgrade a few weeks down the line?

The only reason I'm really considering the KingSong is for the added range.  The ability to comfortably travel 25 miles is a strong selling point for me - but is probably something I realistically wouldn't need that often if I'm being honest with myself. The V8 also looks like it would get secriously scratched up - especially with this being my first EUC.

Also, do we know if any new models will be out soon?  The VF5+ and the V8 have been out a while now, and wondering if there might be a new V5 replacement around the corner worth waiting for, or a V8+ with extended battery?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have the v5f+. It's fantastic. The range from what several owners have reported is better than the v8. So unless you need the added kph of the v8, you can rule that one out.

As far as wheel size goes, the 14inch on the v5f+ is fine. Didnt notice any difference from my 16inch other than increased manoeuvrability.

I dont have any experience with kingsong but if you were going for one id take the 14d over the 16s. Better looking ?

10 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

So unless you need the added kph of the v8, you can rule that one out.

Unless you want the added safety from 16". Personally, I probably will never buy a 14" wheel for general purpose use anymore. The safety advantage might only be small, but it is decisive for me.

1 hour ago, Whinters said:

Are the 16" options really the sensible choice in terms of not immediately seeking an upgrade a few weeks down the line?

@Whinters, I'm puzzled by your above comment as the smaller wheel isn't a "baby" version that you will grow out of.

Really whether a 14" wheel or 16" (or even 18") is 'better' depends entirely on how you intend to use it. Indeed, if I remember correctly @Paddylazwent from a 16" Lhotz to the 14" V5F+ and has been waxing lyrical about it ever since ;-) 

Really a 16" wheel is better over rougher ground, woodland trails etc, but the lighter, smaller, easier to carry 14" excels if you intend using it in town including (say) carrying it on a bus or train. Having said that whilst 18" really is an off road or long distance, not really to be carried at all wheel, both the 14" and 16" work well enough on and off road and can be carried well enough. 

I ummed and errred between 14" and 16" as I do a fair bit of bridleway riding, having settled on the KS-14C (before Inmotion was available) I've found it handles the bridleways fine but also fits nicely in a shopping trolley when I roll down to the shops.

If I bought a second wheel to complement my KS-14C I would buy the V8.

if I was in the market for a new 14" wheel I would buy the V5F+, unless I really wanted the range of a big battery Kingsong; In all cases in the UK I would personally buy from https://www.wheelgo.com/. @Jason McNeil's shop in the U.K. As his service and support is excellent (IMHO)

Thanks for the replies guys - really informative.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

I'm puzzled by your above comment as the smaller wheel isn't a "baby" version that you will grow out of.

Yeah, I guess I worded that badly. What I was meaning to imply was if I proceed with the V5F+, am I quickly going to want somehing with more speed, and capabilities for tougher terrain, which the 16" wheels would already provide?

I also have read conflicting information about the speed of the VF5+ compared to the V8.  Has a firmware update for the V5 made the speed of both devices equal now - as that is something that I kept coming across during my lurking, but can find no real confirmation anywhere?

23 minutes ago, Whinters said:

Thanks for the replies guys - really informative.

Yeah, I guess I worded that badly. What I was meaning to imply was if I proceed with the V5F+, am I quickly going to want somehing with more speed, and capabilities for tougher terrain, which the 16" wheels would already provide?

I also have read conflicting information about the speed of the VF5+ compared to the V8.  Has a firmware update for the V5 made the speed of both devices equal now - as that is something that I kept coming across during my lurking, but can find no real confirmation anywhere?

Other than if you are going to do a lot of off-road/'trail' riding (which admittedly I have little experience of so my opinion on this is fairly irrelevant), you're not going to notice any real difference in for instance, urban settings.

In terms of speed, I'm not sure if there's going to be an update, certainly not to the V8's 30kph. The V5f+ is fixed at 25kph, which is a very good speed although I would love an extra 2/3kph.

Having said that, I've been doing this for quite a while. 25kph is going to likely be more than enough for someone's first wheel.

2 hours ago, Whinters said:

I also have read conflicting information about the speed of the VF5+ compared to the V8.  Has a firmware update for the V5

When checking reports, be aware that there is at least three different wheels, V5+, V5F, V5F+. The V5+ has a weaker motor and hence for sure a max speed of less than 30km/h even after a fix, so this shouldn't concern you if you buy an F version.

BTW, I have never heard of firmware updates for InMotions, has anyone else?

I have a GOTWAY MCM4 14 inch 800watts motor, 680wh battery. 

I am happy with the wheel. If is coomuting less that 5 miles each way 14 is good if it has the power like the MVM4. 

My 14" wheel is very rough when going over cracks on the road so I slow down for those only to be gentle on the wheel. 

I like the v8 a lot. Fast enough. I believe is also lighter than most other 16 inch wheels. The 16 inch would feel softer on the rough cracks on pavement. 

On 4/24/2017 at 2:11 AM, Whinters said:

...I've pretty much settled on one of the following three:

InMotion VF5+
InMotion V8
KingSong KS16

I definitely prefer the looks of the InMotion offerings...

I own InMotion V5F+ and KingSong KS16(c).

> I definitely prefer the looks of the InMotion offerings...
I can see that, and I pretty much agree, but... In use I find the V5F+ too narrow.  Makes jumping more difficult, and high speed less stable (there is zero leg contact while cruising, and that seems less stable than the minor pressure of the wider body KS16).

I don't find the 14" vs 16" a big difference. (But I've ridden non-E unicycles from 16" to 36", so 14 vs 16" EUC is a rather small difference to me).

The pros cons I care about with the V5F+ vs KS16:
- V5F+ light weight
- KS16 800Wh more range - I'll plan on 30-some miles on KS16, only low 20s miles on V5F+
- V5F+ too narrow
- V5F+ cover is quite protective (except of the handle)
- KS16(c) slightly faster (18.3mph vs 15.5mph)
- KS16 has smoother tiltback (I find v5f+ tiltback "wishy-washy")
- KS16 more flexibility in alarm setting
- KS16 usually considerably pricier!
- KS16 has a 8kHz high pitch squeal -- first long rides I thought this might be intolerable, it bothers me much less now
- V5F+ pedal height and shape is "perfect" -- I have _never scraped a pedal just doing a tight turn on the v5f+ -- All other manufactures should pay attention to this!  (?maybe this is because of the narrower body?)

I weigh 160lbs, ride mostly flat, mostly 12-16.5 mph speed range.

My choice?  Usually I choose to ride the KS16 (exception: If I'm just doing "lazy riding" then the V5F+ is a great machine and does not have the squeal).

Archived