Reversing MiniPro Steering sensor

As the MiniPro goes MUCH faster in reverse than forward, I am wondering (just out of curiosity) if anyone can help me understand exactly how the steering works.  Looking at these photos I am thinking there is a magnetic sensor to detect which way the steering column is being rotated.  Is that black rectangle with the metal circle in the centre the sensor in Photo 5?

June 22nd 2017     WARNING

I just got back from a test ride and discovered a very serious problem.  I would urge no one to try this mod from here on.  First of all, although the steering is straight now, it still does not behave correctly.  It is too sensitive at high speed and when travelling straight but along a lateral decline, such as at the edge of a road where it declines down to the gutter, the MiniPro tries to correct and keep straight (as it did before the mod) but now steers in the opposite direction than it should, doing the oppsite of what is needed to correct for the angle of the road. 

But what's even more dangerous is that when you hit the top speed tilt-back is now reversed to be tilt-forward.  I was riding along and when I got close to 25kph, suddenly the MiniPro tilted me forward and I almost fell off.  Quickly I was able to lean back (despite my toes being pushed closer to the ground) and slow down, at which point the tilt-forward stopped and it leveled out again.

It has been a fun and educational experience doing all this, but I will no longer pursue this riding backwards method.  The machine just cannot do it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by esaj

3 hours ago, kasenutty said:

This is an inelegant solution to the problem of needing someone smart enough to give a shit enough to write a decent alternative firmware.

I think flipping a sensor upside down (if that's possible here) is much more elegant than coding a custom firmware.

3 hours ago, Pezman said:

Man you just love to take that thing apart don't you lol. 

This isn't my MiniPro, it's from a Youtube vid of someone else stripping one down.  I do love taking things apart though.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, kasenutty said:

The firmware wouldn't be to reverse the steering lol. To make it go faster. Forward :D

Well if you have the ability to write a custom firmware to increase the top speed please give it a try.  My coding days ended with QBasic.

Edited by RooMiniPro
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

I have a kingsong for going fast, so I don't care enough now :D

So..."I could easily do it...I just don't feel like it, but I totally could if I wanted to!" ?

...more speed will be great but only with a battery life with greater capacity, well 25kmh i dream, but how many time for a ride with? 45 minutes? Have a crash at 25 kph is not like get a crash at 17.5km/h, please remember EUC user's crash ones were at 25kph and result Hospitalization, broken limbs, and disgust, no more want to go back on it

Did you ever runing after your mini ?

And running after your mini running away , (please look at this topic ) and try to catch it will be more difficult.... When i had crash the first time my mini run away over rails of tramway and took direction to the river , second time i crashed i managed to catch it but i run a lot, i think new users must wait get more than 100 km mileage in experience , for two reasons: 

1/ you know better how your mini is working on differents fields

2/ your mini memorize all yours riding habits (except if you make often factory reset)

1 hour ago, jojo33 said:

...more speed will be great but only with a battery life with greater capacity, well 25kmh i dream, but how many time for a ride with? 45 minutes?

The range should remain the same, because I drive faster I arrive also faster.
The air resistance increases from 17.5 to 25 km / h, but this is negligible.

1 hour ago, jojo33 said:

Have a crash at 25 kph is not like get a crash at 17.5km/h, please remember EUC user's crash ones were at 25kph and result Hospitalization, broken limbs, and disgust, no more want to go back on it

The risk of an accident increases, of course it is true. Everyone has to decide for themselves.

Greetings Donald

• Upvote 1

On 2017-04-28 at 8:33 AM, donaldduck8 said:

Hi Guys,
It is possible to reverse the direction of the Steering sensor.
How do this, I have posted here:
https://miui-germany.de/forum/thread/9396-xiaomi-ninebot-mini-segway/?pageNo=78 (Post 1560)
(Post 1560)

If you dont understand German, please uses "Google Translate"

Greetings Donald

Someone has done it! Nice

22 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

Someone has done it! Nice

It's nice to see that, but only as a proof of concept. Not a real-world rideable unit but showing that the minipro still have a safety margin up to 26 kmh (surely varies with riders weight). That's corresponds well with the findings on Ninebot One E+ that can run over 30kmh if the right numbers are programmed through the jtag programmer. Same 6-7kmh margin implemented by ninebot engineers.

@donaldduck8 saying himself that he will reverse the modification as it is not considered safe.

Awkward steering bar placement plus the automatic steering sensivity must be switched off to make the steering somewhat smooth...

EDIT: Wonder if the speed decrease the same way after the battery level goes under 50%...

Edited by Vik's
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Vik's said:

That's corresponds well with the findings on Ninebot One E+ that can run over 30kmh if the right numbers are programmed through the jtag programmer. Same 6-7kmh margin implemented by ninebot engineers.

As a new E+ owner I would like to know more about this. 

On ‎30‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 4:32 PM, Vik's said:

Wonder if the speed decrease the same way after the battery level goes under 50%...

Tried it today after a 20km ride and battery under 40%.

As the "warning when going back too quickly" setting is checked off, there is no beeping whatsoever! Not at "maximum speed - 16,5kmh" and not over 22kmh. I haven't tried the maximum speed as that is already controlled by others..

13 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

As a new E+ owner I would like to know more about this. 

Our oppo at russian forums did a wonderful job at connecting jtag interface to ninebot (both One and minipro), to change the serial number making effectively a P model out of E+

Link to original content: http://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?msg=1042396

No modifications is done to the firmware itself, only the "user information" is being written to the EUC's memory - milage, serialnumber etc.

On top of that he made it possible to change fw on 9b1 though the original app:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vik's said:

Tried it today after a 20km ride and battery under 40%.

As the "warning when going back too quickly" setting is checked off, there is no beeping whatsoever! Not at "maximum speed - 16,5kmh" and not over 22kmh. I haven't tried the maximum speed as that is already controlled by others..

You've done the sensor reverse mod? What is your opinion on the idea of using it backwards indefinitely?

3 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

You've done the sensor reverse mod? What is your opinion on the idea of using it backwards indefinitely?

Nope. Riding as is :) Didn't touch the steering. Found a large enough parking lot and tried it in controlled environment.

Don't think I will try to reverse the magnets. Don't like the steering bar position and losing the sight of the battery display... Better wait to fw mods will be available (if ever).

• Upvote 1

Same here; I removed the steering bar for safety and tested the reverse speed on a straight empty road. But I still might try the magnet mod if I don't determine my EUC to be my preference for personal transport.

3 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Same here; I removed the steering bar for safety and tested the reverse speed on a straight empty road. But I still might try the magnet mod if I don't determine my EUC to be my preference for personal transport.

I am pretty much happy with my miniPro's, to be honest. So there is no hurry for me to mod them in any way. They are definitely a keeper as my 9b1 is :) 

I enjoy riding minipro and one thing I am willing to change is the beeper - to make it sound after the tiltback.